News:

For my part, I've replaced optimism and believing the best of people by default with a grin and the absolute 100% certainty that if they cannot find a pig to fuck, they will buy some bacon and play oinking noises on YouTube.

Main Menu

Twid's spiritual exploration thingie.

Started by Nephew Twiddleton, June 27, 2013, 06:58:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Doktor Blight on October 22, 2013, 05:09:10 AM
Music and poetry are the act of humans making math seem pretty.

Balls.  It's the other way around.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 22, 2013, 04:25:40 AM
I still fail to see the attraction.

We have all the Holiness™ you need, right here.  We got it leaking outta every orifice.

I now have the appropriate response to this:

I'm sure you're tongue didn't see the attraction, but there it was, getting mechanically stretched out, for some strange, unexplained goddamned reason.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 22, 2013, 05:11:59 AM

Balls.  It's the other way around.

I've never headbanged to an equation.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Doktor Blight on October 22, 2013, 05:04:29 AM
Quote from: Don Coyote on October 22, 2013, 05:02:33 AM
Quote from: Doktor Blight on October 22, 2013, 05:00:34 AM
Quote from: Don Coyote on October 22, 2013, 04:58:32 AM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 22, 2013, 04:41:08 AM
Quote from: Doktor Blight on October 22, 2013, 04:35:23 AM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 22, 2013, 04:29:40 AM
Quote from: Doktor Blight on October 22, 2013, 04:28:21 AM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 22, 2013, 04:25:40 AM
I still fail to see the attraction.

We have all the Holiness™ you need, right here.  We got it leaking outta every orifice.

It's a pull, Reverend. I can't explain it otherwise. It's something that is calling me to different places on the map.

And, like many other attractions, E tickets are gonna cost ya plenty.

What would you recommend?

I don't recommend ANY religious institution, because in the end, they're all the same thing:  Finding a way to get someone ELSE'S opinion on God (or the Cosmic Muffin, or whatever the hell it is you're looking for).

As I've said before, I'm a believer, but I have two idiosyncrasies that make all the other believers crowd to the other side of the bus.

1.  All churches are crap, EVEN *insert name of church in question*, and

2.  SCIENCE DOES NOT REMOVE THE TERROR OF THE GODS.  You CAN'T prove God's existence, and it's BLASPHEMOUS TO EVEN TRY IT, at least according to the new testament.  You merely accept empirical evidence as the way the universe works, and then believe in God anyway, even if the evidence amounts to the idea that he isn't at all necessary.  Part of being all powerful is not being necessary, and existing anyway.

why did point 2 make so much sense?

Because you're a mathematician.

Nope.  I've told math to fuck off and bug some other soul.

You've still much to learn about poetry then.

Twid,
Musician, inadvertent mathematician

you think I am unaware of metrics as primary method conveying rhythm in poesy?
nay my good friend.

Ask Classicist about dactylic hexameter. Or perhaps an English major about iambic pentameter. It's all math and no rhyme.

nay nay

poesy and music are manifestations of the human brain's desire to create patterns from the flotsam of the chaos that is the real world.
mathematics are yet another manifestation of this desire.
The desire to grasp the ungraspable real.

But that is just  like my opinion man.

Nephew Twiddleton

Math is immutable though.

Stupid as fuck at times, since it includes the term "real numbers" (wtf other sort of numbers are there?)

Perhaps math and music are different, much in the same way that something happened, and there are two very different stories about the same incident.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Doktor Blight on October 22, 2013, 05:21:12 AM

Stupid as fuck at times, since it includes the term "real numbers" (wtf other sort of numbers are there?)

Perhaps math and music are different, much in the same way that something happened, and there are two very different stories about the same incident.
real numbers are the opposite of imaginary numbers, which are just a fancy of easy of cheating at math.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Don Coyote on October 22, 2013, 05:30:53 AM

real numbers are the opposite of imaginary numbers, which are just a fancy of easy of cheating at math.

Next year is going to involve a lot of me punching myself in the temples, isn't it?

Don Coyote

Quote from: Doktor Blight on October 22, 2013, 05:40:39 AM

Next year is going to involve a lot of me punching myself in the temples, isn't it?

oh and measuring angles with radians.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Don Coyote on October 22, 2013, 05:44:24 AM

I'M DOING THIS FOR MY FUTURE.

Blight,
So far so good, still an A- student

Don Coyote

Quote from: Doktor Blight on October 22, 2013, 05:46:25 AM

Blight,

have fun.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Don Coyote on October 22, 2013, 05:48:02 AM
Quote from: Doktor Blight on October 22, 2013, 05:46:25 AM

Blight,

have fun.

I will why I can.

Actually after my midterm I ran into an old friend on the train, and he chuckled and wished me good luck on my switch. Something something, "hard facts? No! Interpretation!"

Nephew Twiddleton

This is my lot now though. I will be some sort of biologist. No time left, no room for failure. Gotta get on with it. Fortunately, before I wanted to be a musician, I wanted to be a scientist. An astrophysicist specifically, but eh, no time for that. So I'm not unhappy with with my decision, just expecting to be overwhelmed. I can do it, and if I can't, well, I better learn quick.

Tying this back in with spirituality, the more I learn about biology the more I'm willing to entertain the objective absurdity of religiosity. Something something, polymers with a purpose that build proteins to maintain that chemical and make sure it makes new chemicals with a slightly different chemical... I can't come up with any rhyme nor reason for it. It just seems.... silly. "I'm a really complex chemical and I need to replicate. And to facilitate that, I'm going to create consciousness somewhere down the road."

I'm pretty sure there's a non-theistic actual reason for it, like, that's just how shit happened, purely by accident, but it's just too weird of a concept to not attribute something to it, whether its a false notion or not.

Telarus

Finally caught up with this thread. I'm seriously impressed, Twid, and very glad you are sharing your process.

As to the math comment, I may have an illumination for you.

We start with the "Real Number Line", an infinite line on which we can plot whole and decimal numbers, and which has natural symmetry around the 0 point when you multiply by "negative one" (i.e, every number on the positive side has a corresponding number on the negative side). The fact that we can use the numbers on the "Real Number Line" to count quantities of objects, or to perform operations (A+5, B-9) is super neat.

There's another type of symmetry, tho. Rotational symmetry. This is what "i" is for. We use "-1" to perform 180 degree "reflectional" symmetry, but when we multiply by "i" we have shifted to another Axis of numbers, via 90 degree rotational symmetry, which is orthogonal (at right angles) to our "Real Number Axis". The numbers on the "i" axis are just as "real" but we already had a stupid name for the first axis.

We use "i" and "-i" in order to Rotate (using 0 as a reference point) from the Real Number Line to the corresponding point on the I Number Line. It's so much easier to think of this as X and Y at this point, as on a geometry grid.

5+5i is the same as saying "A point at (5, 5)". It allows us to describe a 2-co-ordinate system within a single equation, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complex_plane

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imaginary_unit

I'm still totally digging into this concept, but it's helped me understand some of the interesting math used in CG systems.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Telarus on October 22, 2013, 06:14:23 AM

Finally caught up with this thread. I'm seriously impressed, Twid, and very glad you are sharing your process.

As to the math comment, I may have an illumination for you.

We start with the "Real Number Line", an infinite line on which we can plot whole and decimal numbers, and which has natural symmetry around the 0 point when you multiply by "negative one" (i.e, every number on the positive side has a corresponding number on the negative side). The fact that we can use the numbers on the "Real Number Line" to count quanities of objects, or to perform operations (A+5, B-9) is super neat.

There's another type of symmetry, tho. Rotational symmetry. This is what "i" is. we use "-1" to perform linear symmetry, but when we multiply by "i" we have shifted to another Axis of numbers, which is orthogonal (at right angles) to our "Real Number Axis". The numbers on the "i" axis are just as "real" but we already had a stopid name for the first axis.

We use "i" and "-i" in order to Rotate (using 0 as a reference point) from the Real Number Line to the corresponding point on the I Number Line. It's so much easier to think of this as X and Y at this point, as on a geometry grid.

5+5i is the same as saying "A point at (5, 5)". It allows us to describe a 2-co-ordinate system within a single equation, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complex_plane

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imaginary_unit

I'm still totally digging into this concept, but it's helped me understand some of the interesting math used in CG systems.

I know I've gone over i before but I need to rebuild those foundations.

The midterm today was interesting. Some of the answers I was able to get the answer from awkwardly but then needed to come up with a means to get the answer that was correct (i.e. I was right and forgot the formula but needed to work my way backward to show the formula- which made me understand the formula better, frankly). On the other hand, I knew the answer for this one problem, but I couldn't prove it, and any attempt I made to do so led to a lot of erasing. I eventually circled the problem and said, "this is the answer." Looked it up on the way to work and kicked myself.

Long story short, I remember hearing tell of this mysterious "i"

Don Coyote

I had a midterm in differential equations.  I forgot everything but somehow had answers for most of the problems. And I know I did at least twp wrong and got the wrong answers,  but fyck it. imma get a filthy liberalarys degree  be that weird fucking teacher at high school.