News:

PD.com: can increase your susceptibility to cancer, dementia, heart disease, diabetes, influenza, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus - even the common cold.

Main Menu

Twid's spiritual exploration thingie.

Started by Nephew Twiddleton, June 27, 2013, 06:58:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

This does raise an interesting question though.

What is impressive about this endeavor? It seems like this whole thing is getting a lot of mixed reaction, and not just here. I mean, here, it seems like some are going, "Good on ya, Twid" and others are like, "what's the point, Twid?"

Which honestly is the most open minded that I get from both sides.

Outside of PD it's either "I respect your choices" and "I kinda want to slap you right now."<---not for cultural appropriation reasons mind you, the revisiting of Catholicism sparked a lot of that
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Don Coyote on October 22, 2013, 06:29:24 AM
I had a midterm in differential equations.  I forgot everything but somehow had answers for most of the problems. And I know I did at least twp wrong and got the wrong answers,  but fyck it. imma get a filthy liberalarys degree  be that weird fucking teacher at high school.

That's precisely why I switched to science. I'm cool with being that weird fucking teacher, as long as high school isn't involved.

Doktor Blight,
Serious about the Doctor bit now.

Nephew Twiddleton

Not minimizing your path, incidentally, Coyote. I'm actually happy for you, since you're choosing something that you love.

LMNO

LMNO

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 22, 2013, 04:41:08 AM
Part of being all powerful is not being necessary, and existing anyway.

This is a truly awesome quote.

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Doktor Blight on October 25, 2013, 02:03:49 AM
It might be illustrative to describe my religious history. I'll give it in my exploration thread momentarily.

Bump for Aucoq.

So, I was raised Catholic, but my childhood religious sentiment could best be described as animistic with a vague Christian backdrop and a desire for reincarnation rather than salvation (I defined it as escape from Heaven when God was sleeping) when I was in Kindergarten.

In my early teens I could best be described as a Catholic gnostic.

In my mid to late teens I became a Wiccan, with a focus on the Roman pantheon.

In my 20s I became less specifically Wiccan and progressively more ill-defined Celtic, and later specifically, Irish polytheist.

In my late 20s I was religiously Irish polytheist, philosophically Discordian.

For some time now I've been feeling a pull to look at that sense of "God" from different angles. A little more than a year ago I finally decided to take that step and start by revisiting Catholicism. I decided I would end Catholicism, appropriately based on my Irish polytheist inclinations, on Samhain. However, I decided next on Judaism and Jewish New Year was a bit earlier. I missed Rosh Hashanah by a couple of days but was in time for Yom Kippur. So on Yom Kippur I became a Hebrew Catholic, and on Samhain, after using Catholicism as a mode of ancestor veneration, I will temporarily revert back to Irish polytheism from nightfall on 31 October to nightfall on 1 November, at which point I will become Jewish. I don't know what I'll be next year.

There is my religious history in a nutshell.

Nephew Twiddleton

Bump.

This is a few days later but uh. I actually had a religious experience praying to Jewish God. I've been having some difficulty processing it. I'm still not sure how to process it. And it's not like I've been a particularly good Jew in the interim. I mean, hell, I throw Kosher out the window whenever Villager's cooking. It was just kinda weird. Will have to science more, I guess.

Nephew Twiddleton

I've been reluctant to mention it, but well, it's part of the point here, isn't it?

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Doktor Blight on October 22, 2013, 06:31:09 AM
This does raise an interesting question though.

What is impressive about this endeavor? It seems like this whole thing is getting a lot of mixed reaction, and not just here. I mean, here, it seems like some are going, "Good on ya, Twid" and others are like, "what's the point, Twid?"

Which honestly is the most open minded that I get from both sides.

Outside of PD it's either "I respect your choices" and "I kinda want to slap you right now."<---not for cultural appropriation reasons mind you, the revisiting of Catholicism sparked a lot of that

Jewish has some great food.

Well, except for a few things:

Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Nephew Twiddleton

I'm going to chalk it up to auditory hallucination. Apparently, that can happen to just about anyone.

But in a nutshell, God spoke back, and then went back to his usual silence.

Aucoq

Quote from: Doktor Blight on October 25, 2013, 02:15:22 AM
Quote from: Doktor Blight on October 25, 2013, 02:03:49 AM
It might be illustrative to describe my religious history. I'll give it in my exploration thread momentarily.

Bump for Aucoq.

So, I was raised Catholic, but my childhood religious sentiment could best be described as animistic with a vague Christian backdrop and a desire for reincarnation rather than salvation (I defined it as escape from Heaven when God was sleeping) when I was in Kindergarten.

In my early teens I could best be described as a Catholic gnostic.

In my mid to late teens I became a Wiccan, with a focus on the Roman pantheon.

In my 20s I became less specifically Wiccan and progressively more ill-defined Celtic, and later specifically, Irish polytheist.

In my late 20s I was religiously Irish polytheist, philosophically Discordian.

For some time now I've been feeling a pull to look at that sense of "God" from different angles. A little more than a year ago I finally decided to take that step and start by revisiting Catholicism. I decided I would end Catholicism, appropriately based on my Irish polytheist inclinations, on Samhain. However, I decided next on Judaism and Jewish New Year was a bit earlier. I missed Rosh Hashanah by a couple of days but was in time for Yom Kippur. So on Yom Kippur I became a Hebrew Catholic, and on Samhain, after using Catholicism as a mode of ancestor veneration, I will temporarily revert back to Irish polytheism from nightfall on 31 October to nightfall on 1 November, at which point I will become Jewish. I don't know what I'll be next year.

There is my religious history in a nutshell.

Holy crap!  How did I miss this?!  I'm sorry, Twid.  I swear after you said you were going to explain your spiritual progression I waited for a new thread to pop up.  I guess I just never thought to check this thread or I missed the thread or something because I swear I didn't see this post until just now.  Please don't think I ignored you.

And thank you so much for posting this.  I truly appreciate it.  I'm always interested in seeing where people have gone and where they're going.  If nothing else it reminds me that I'm not the only person on earth who searches and that others have gone through the same or similar situations. :)

Quote from: Doktor Blight on November 21, 2013, 04:49:05 AM
I'm going to chalk it up to auditory hallucination. Apparently, that can happen to just about anyone.

But in a nutshell, God spoke back, and then went back to his usual silence.

What did he say?
"All of the world's leading theologists agree only on the notion that God hates no-fault insurance."

Horrid and Sticky Llama Wrangler of Last Week's Forbidden Desire.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division