News:

PD.com - you don't even believe in nihilism anymore

Main Menu

A good place to have the largest city on Earth.

Started by Doktor Howl, July 05, 2013, 11:33:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Nephew Twiddleton

Im sure it seemed like a good idea at the time.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Doktor Howl

Quote from: FRIDAY TIME on July 05, 2013, 11:50:38 PM

They stopped sacrificing to the gods.  What did they think was going to happen?

If it gets worse, how the hell do you evacuate 32 million people?
Molon Lube

Suu

When was the last time that one blew, anyway?
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Maybe Johnny has some insights into this for us?

Also, it's 40 miles away. I mean, that could get icky, depending on a lot of factors, but Mt. St. Helens is 50 miles from Portland and that wasn't THAT big of a deal.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Johnny

Well, my "common sense" perception of it, along with several "how's the weather bro?" conversations, is that, even the people living some KMs away from its skirts will be fine, i mean, how far does lava even go?  :lol:

Sure, they have this goddamn orange alert that has been going on since i saw the news in my childhood, and some seasons they have daily coverage of it... I really dont think theres anything bad that could happen, other than a fucking flooded city, with lockdown traffic (rain, ashes and the sewage system dont combine so well)... but hey! at least all our poor farmers will get free fertilizer.

I think i live about 3 hours away from it, i only had to run a handkerchief to clean my car's windows after being parked some 5 hours, metropoli will be fine.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

The Johnny

Oh, and i'd rather have a fuming volcano that releases energy than one big unexpected explosion, there's that too.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

tyrannosaurus vex

I'm glad the eruption isn't threatening mega carnage or anything. I'm sure the big one will come eventually, but by then I'm sure humanity will have learned how to not build houses and things on the sides of active volcanoes.

I'm still hoping for the Yellowstone Caldera to blow. But aside from the fact that it would wipe out all of my in-laws, there are probably very few upsides to an event like that.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Back when the eagle landed on the nopal with a snake, yeah.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

The Johnny

On a day to day basis Im way more concerned about my fellow citizens and not getting run over by the wild west wage-zealous buses  :lulz:

On the mid-long term I only worry about something like SARS/MERS or an earthquake.

-B.F. Skinner

Suu

This is when not living near an active fault line has it's perks.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Left

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 05, 2013, 11:52:48 PM

They stopped sacrificing to the gods.  What did they think was going to happen?

If it gets worse, how the hell do you evacuate 32 million people?
You don't.
As well I should know.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Rita

After watching the government let people die in New Orleans three weeks prior, I know the ex and I  were scared shitless.
It took us all night to get to College Station, which is usually less than 2 hours from here.
Basically, the entirety of Southeast Texas turned into a traffic jam...and only roughly 2 million people evacuated.
Hope was the thing with feathers.
I smacked it with a hammer until it was red and squashy

Suu

It would be like the entire Northeastern Seaboard evacuating from a large hurricane. 95 would become a parking lot. After Sandy, I think that this area is going to start taking lesser storms a lot more seriously. It will be interesting to see how NYC reacts to another Irene or Sandy track.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Johnny on July 06, 2013, 04:15:57 AM

On a day to day basis Im way more concerned about my fellow citizens and not getting run over by the wild west wage-zealous buses  :lulz:

On the mid-long term I only worry about something like SARS/MERS or an earthquake.

Yeah, the whole earthquake thing is a thing I try not to think about too much.

The thing is, if you don't have volcanoes and earthquakes you have hurricanes and tornados. There's noplace that's actually safe, so fuck it, make the best of where you're at.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Speaking of which, I wonder why it's been so quiet here for the last couple weeks?

http://www.pnsn.org/earthquakes/recent