News:

Already planning a hunger strike against the inhumane draconian right winger/neoliberal gun bans. Gun control is also one of the worst forms of torture. Without guns/weapons its like merely existing and not living.

Main Menu

Oh those wacky DEA Agents

Started by Telarus, August 05, 2013, 08:00:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: The End on August 08, 2013, 05:49:06 PM
Quote from: FRIDAY TIME on August 08, 2013, 04:58:13 PM
Quote from: The End on August 08, 2013, 04:54:42 PM
Assumptions on who I am as a person.  You don't know shit about me.  Just as I don't know shit about any of you.  The internet is a horrible way to get to know someone on any meaningful level.

Yes, yes, you keep saying that last part. Where in that sentence am I making any assumptions about you as a person?

The implication is pretty clear, otherwise, it wouldn't be necessary to even make the statement you made.

Cant be that clear if i made an implication i was unaware of.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

McGrupp

Quote from: The End on August 08, 2013, 04:54:42 PM
Assumptions on who I am as a person.  You don't know shit about me.  Just as I don't know shit about any of you.  The internet is a horrible way to get to know someone on any meaningful level.

I've never thought of knowing someone as a boolean expression.

AFK

Quote from: V3X on August 08, 2013, 06:37:55 PM
Deep-pocketed Pro-Legalization Lobby buys off Sanjay Gupta

Start another thread if you want to discuss this, as it has little to do with the topic of this thread. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Caccioppo (among others) has done several studies that indicate that the depth of connection people get out of interactions on the internet is entirely dependent on how individuals choose to use it. It can deepen the loneliness of people who use it to avoid depth of interaction, and can strengthen the sense of connectedness and the social support network of people who use it to build deep connections, much like with face-to-face social interactions. A person who goes to parties to avoid forging deep connections one-on-one can do so as easily as a person who goes to parties to meet people with whom they may forge long-lasting friendships. I am sure we have all known some of each type of person.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: YOUR Social Science Thinkmonkey on August 09, 2013, 07:01:02 AM
Caccioppo (among others) has done several studies that indicate that the depth of connection people get out of interactions on the internet is entirely dependent on how individuals choose to use it. It can deepen the loneliness of people who use it to avoid depth of interaction, and can strengthen the sense of connectedness and the social support network of people who use it to build deep connections, much like with face-to-face social interactions. A person who goes to parties to avoid forging deep connections one-on-one can do so as easily as a person who goes to parties to meet people with whom they may forge long-lasting friendships. I am sure we have all known some of each type of person.

Even though I have not met a lot of you face to face, I've also met a good amount of you face to face.

And hell, that doesn't even matter. I consider a lot of you good friends (looking at you Nigel) and Roger called me tonight out of the blue. Dimo is my friend and the last time I saw him in person, which was a year ago, he mentioned that it doesn't matter and we can pick it up like we've known each other for ages. I've seen LMNO often enough that I don't even think of him as a PD'er anymore, but rather a guy I know who happens to go to the same forum I do. I don't think of him as "LMNO" anymore. Same thing with Suu, Richter, leln, and Luna. Sure, there's the IRL aspect, but, I only think of you as "Nigel" because the name suits you, much in the same way that I think of Eve as Eve. Or Dimo as Dimo (who, incidentally, refuses to call me Kevin, since that's not the name I was introduced to him with-to him, I'm Twid, and that's that, lol).

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I consider a great many of the people here friends, and some, good friends. I am averse to talking on the phone (which means that, dammit, you fuckers I pick up the phone for better realize how much that means I appreciate our friendship!) but I also don't feel that long-distance friendships, phone or no phone, are any less "real" than local face-to-face friendships.

I am not a lonely, isolated person forced to "resort" to online friendship, either. I am blessed with an incredible network of amazing friends in Portland, Seattle, and San Francisco (as well as some who have moved farther abroad), many of whom I have known for 20+ years. Many of whom I would love for you spags to meet because you would like each other. I've become friends with you fuckers because I LIKE you, and I have made enough lifelong friends whom I initially met online (back in dialup days, judge me if you choose) to have no illusions or false divisions about "the real you" being somehow separate from "the online you". People can lie, sure, but they can do that in person, too.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Also, <3 <3 <3. Don't expect me to get this mushy ever again.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: YOUR Social Science Thinkmonkey on August 09, 2013, 07:50:51 AM
I consider a great many of the people here friends, and some, good friends. I am averse to talking on the phone (which means that, dammit, you fuckers I pick up the phone for better realize how much that means I appreciate our friendship!) but I also don't feel that long-distance friendships, phone or no phone, are any less "real" than local face-to-face friendships.

I am not a lonely, isolated person forced to "resort" to online friendship, either. I am blessed with an incredible network of amazing friends in Portland, Seattle, and San Francisco (as well as some who have moved farther abroad), many of whom I have known for 20+ years. Many of whom I would love for you spags to meet because you would like each other. I've become friends with you fuckers because I LIKE you, and I have made enough lifelong friends whom I initially met online (back in dialup days, judge me if you choose) to have no illusions or false divisions about "the real you" being somehow separate from "the online you". People can lie, sure, but they can do that in person, too.

I mean yeah, I have plenty of friends in Boston that I know offline, independently from the internet. Don't mean I can't make friends here. I consider you guys friends because I like you guys. I don't need you as a replacement or even as a supplement. It just is.

Quote from: YOUR Social Science Thinkmonkey on August 09, 2013, 07:52:07 AM

D'aww.

<3

Nephew Twiddleton

Also, I will note that I was looking forward to RWHN's new found freedom to come down to Boston and become IRL friends until very recently. Despite everything. Until he made it a point to twist my words and shit.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: YOUR Social Science Thinkmonkey on August 09, 2013, 07:52:07 AM

Awwwwwww, this should be in the newsfeed :D
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

AFK

Quote from: Aloha Ackbar on August 09, 2013, 08:00:11 AM
Also, I will note that I was looking forward to RWHN's new found freedom to come down to Boston and become IRL friends until very recently. Despite everything. Until he made it a point to twist my words and shit.

S'alright, between my new relationship, being a dad, and everything else, I likely never would have found the time.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Ben Shapiro

Doktor Howl

Quote from: /b/earman on August 09, 2013, 04:37:18 PM
You have me.

BEARMAN:  Not just an omnivorous mammal, but also cuddly.
Molon Lube

Nephew Twiddleton

Ben Shapiro

By the time I'm 30, or I have a nest egg of 50% of a home in NH.