News:

PD.com: Living proof that just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Main Menu

How We Protect At-Risk Kids.

Started by Doktor Howl, August 09, 2013, 03:10:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McGrupp

Quote from: The End on August 12, 2013, 03:40:02 AM
I'm not a lobbyist, I'm not a gov't employee.  I head up an anti-drug coalition focusing on youth substance abuse prevention, funded, in part by a federal grant.  A grant held also by many other similar coalitions across the country.  We are a member of CADCA, a national association[size=78%] of coalitions.  My work has been spotlighted there, at the national conferences.  Through that, and other avenues, my expertise has been requested to help other communities with their strategies.  I've also had a bunch ask me to review their grant applications.  I've built a pretty solid reputation. [/size]

I'm a little late to the party so I was not around for what seems to be many drug threads in which you have previously posted. Can you link and/or cite studies that show that marijuana prohibition is beneficial to the country? If you are this involved in drug prevention it seems like that would not be a difficult thing to do.

I dislike seeing people dogpiled on a forum, but it's not hard to see why this is happening to you. Differing opinions are a good, but I would be interested to see some independent facts on the subject that support your position other than your own assertions.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Pæs

Quote from: The End on August 12, 2013, 04:51:34 AM
Quote from: YOUR Social Science Thinkmonkey on August 12, 2013, 03:59:57 AM
Quote from: The End on August 12, 2013, 03:50:17 AM
But I'm not nearly as accomplished as the .gif-lady here. 

:lulz:

She can really strut that ass.

I was referring to you oh bright one.
I'm not even going to touch the weaksauce retorts you keep employing while at the same time coming out with regular sarcastic dismissals of the insults used by others.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz:
http://www.salon.com/2013/08/10/everything_you_know_about_drugs_is_wrong/

QuoteI wanted to write this book because I was disturbed by much of what is being said about the effects of drugs and drug policy. Most people engaged in the discussion don't know anything about drugs. Voices from people like me, scientists who have studied drugs and people who came from places I come from, are not included in those discussions. I thought the book would be a way to contribute to the discourse.

SO TRUE!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The End on August 12, 2013, 04:51:34 AM
Quote from: YOUR Social Science Thinkmonkey on August 12, 2013, 03:59:57 AM
Quote from: The End on August 12, 2013, 03:50:17 AM
But I'm not nearly as accomplished as the .gif-lady here. 

:lulz:

She can really strut that ass.

I was referring to you oh bright one.

NICE ONE, SLAPPY.

Best argument out of you yet.  Now you should say something about her tits, right?
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

AFK

Gee, I wonder if anyone has been promoting these ideas on multiple occassions in the drug discussions.....hmm....
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The End on August 12, 2013, 03:45:49 PM
Gee, I wonder if anyone has been promoting these ideas on multiple occassions in the drug discussions.....hmm....

Sure.   Diversion for rich white kids, 29 years in jail for everyone else.

Because it's not like the average state legislator is a punishment freak or anything.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

If course, if you understand drug abuse as a symptom of social problems rather than as a cause, criminalizing it in the first place makes no sense at all.

AFK

I didn't see that in the article anywhere.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: YOUR Social Science Thinkmonkey on August 12, 2013, 03:50:46 PM
If course, if you understand drug abuse as a symptom of social problems rather than as a cause, criminalizing it in the first place makes no sense at all.

Unless you need a huge pool of very cheap labor.
Molon Lube

AFK

If you understood that substance abuse is a public health problem, you'd understand that criminalizing it on some level is necessary.  Don't throw the book at addicts who need help, but you absolutely need to have penalties for those who feed the problem, the criminals bringing the shit in and selling it.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The End on August 12, 2013, 03:53:54 PM

If you understood that substance abuse is a public health problem, you'd understand that criminalizing it on some level is necessary.  Don't throw the book at addicts who need help, but you absolutely need to have penalties for those who feed the problem, the criminals bringing the shit in and selling it.

We should also criminalize strep throat.
Molon Lube

AFK

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 12, 2013, 03:56:49 PM
Quote from: The End on August 12, 2013, 03:53:54 PM

We should also criminalize strep throat.

That makes no sense whatsoever.