News:

Don't get me wrong, I greatly appreciate the fact that you're at least putting effort into sincerely arguing your points. It's an argument I've enjoyed having. It's just that your points are wrong and your reasons for thinking they're right are stupid.

Main Menu

How We Protect At-Risk Kids.

Started by Doktor Howl, August 09, 2013, 03:10:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The End on August 12, 2013, 04:04:33 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 12, 2013, 03:56:49 PM
Quote from: The End on August 12, 2013, 03:53:54 PM
Quote from: YOUR Social Science Thinkmonkey on August 12, 2013, 03:50:46 PM
If course, if you understand drug abuse as a symptom of social problems rather than as a cause, criminalizing it in the first place makes no sense at all.

If you understood that substance abuse is a public health problem, you'd understand that criminalizing it on some level is necessary.  Don't throw the book at addicts who need help, but you absolutely need to have penalties for those who feed the problem, the criminals bringing the shit in and selling it.

We should also criminalize strep throat.

That makes no sense whatsoever.

I know.  Neither does criminalizing weed.
Molon Lube

Anna Mae Bollocks

If course, if you understand drug abuse as a symptom of social problems rather than as a cause, criminalizing it in the first place makes no sense at all.

If you understood that substance abuse is a public health problem, you'd understand that criminalizing it on some level is necessary.  Don't throw the book at addicts who need help, but you absolutely need to have penalties for those who feed the problem, the criminals bringing the shit in and selling it.

Life without parole of they cough around children.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Doktor Howl

Quote from: stelz on August 12, 2013, 04:06:35 PM

Life without parole of they cough around children.

Maybe "diversion", if they're white enough and rich enough.  But they still get a felony hung around their necks if it's type A.  Misdemeanor if it's type B.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

We should also criminalize sex.

Don't throw the book at addicts who need help, but you absolutely need to have penalties for those who feed the problem, the criminals trafficking in human bodies.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The End on August 12, 2013, 03:50:55 PM
I didn't see that in the article anywhere.

It was in the article I posted, which you didn't read.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 12, 2013, 03:51:40 PM

Unless you need a huge pool of very cheap labor.

DING DING DING DING DING

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

AFK

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 12, 2013, 04:04:55 PM

It does if you understand public health.  Marijuana isn't benign to the health of communities.  It just isn't.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

AFK

Quote from: YOUR Social Science Thinkmonkey on August 12, 2013, 04:12:09 PM
Quote from: The End on August 12, 2013, 03:50:55 PM
I didn't see that in the article anywhere.

It was in the article I posted, which you didn't read.

My response was to Dok's post, not yours.

AFK

Quote from: YOUR Social Science Thinkmonkey on August 12, 2013, 04:11:28 PM

We should also criminalize sex.

Don't throw the book at addicts who need help, but you absolutely need to have penalties for those who feed the problem, the criminals trafficking in human bodies.

Uh, there are crimes associated with sex.  I hope I don't have to list them off for you.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The End on August 12, 2013, 04:24:09 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 12, 2013, 04:04:55 PM

It does if you understand public health.  Marijuana isn't benign to the health of communities.  It just isn't.

Are you suggesting that strep throat is?
Molon Lube

AFK

Strep throat has individual impacts, drug abuse has environmental impacts.  (Please note in this usage of the term environment =\= trees)

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The End on August 12, 2013, 04:34:28 PM
Strep throat has individual impacts, drug abuse has environmental impacts.

Strep throat:  Not communicable.   :lulz:
Molon Lube

AFK

I didn't say that.  But strep throat is only going to directly impact those who have it.  Drug abuse impacts people who aren't abusing the drugs.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The End on August 12, 2013, 04:36:35 PM
I didn't say that.

Yes you did.

QuoteStrep throat has individual impacts, drug abuse has environmental impacts.

And

QuoteDrug abuse impacts people who aren't abusing the drugs.

So does booze.  BRING BACK THE VOLSTEAD ACT!
Molon Lube