News:

PD.com: The most patriotic board in America - jointly run by an Australian, an Irishman, a filthy Dutchman, a Canadian and some guy from the West Indies.

Main Menu

How We Protect At-Risk Kids.

Started by Doktor Howl, August 09, 2013, 03:10:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salty

The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: TALK TO ME ABOUT YOUR GENITALS on August 15, 2013, 07:31:22 PM
Still wondering how he copes, mentally, with dismissing this as "untrained":
http://oregonmph.org/content/health-management-policy-psu

That being the exact degree my friend has. Said friend having been in the field for many many more years than RWHN. Also, this is the degree he tried to lead the entire board on that he had, and only now has started dismissing it as "untrained" because we found out what his actual degree is.

Pretty sure she earns well more than twice what he does, too. With her "untrained" badass self.  :lol:

Your friend disagrees with him.  Rather than provide evidence to support his argument, he instead has decided that MPHs are untrained or ill-trained lab monkeys that cannot function without an MPP.

See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inside_the_Beltway_(terminology)
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Pergamos

Quote from: The End on August 15, 2013, 01:52:44 PM
Quote from: Pergamos on August 15, 2013, 04:31:09 AM
Quote from: The End on August 15, 2013, 01:25:32 AM

Hmm, you seem to be saying that when parents and adults purchase legal substances then it creates easy access for kids.  That is an interesting concept, it's almost like I've heard it before.  I think it was a rather dashing spag from here who might have put forth that concept.... Hmm.....

Gee, am I really trying to use your own arguements against you? 

Trying was an appropriate word choice because what you described actually backs up what I've been saying all along which is legal drugs in the home create easy access for youth.  So you tried, and of course, failed.

That was the arguement I used yes.  You didn't seem interested in exploring the implications as far as caffeine is concerned though.  As to whether it's a valid arguement or not, the only indication that it is is that I used it, but I tend to prefer to let other people lay out the assumptions and then see what conclusions can be reached.  It is usually easier than trying to debate assumptions especcially with people like you who won't even read linked information that contradicts his assumptions.

So back to what I actually said, according to your asumptions about regulation restricting sale of high caffeine products to adults would not actually keep them out of the hands of children, so why do you support a measure that would not actually help? (or, perhaps more specifically, why do you support that measure as far as caffeine is concerned but not as far as marijuana is)

Pergamos

Quote from: The End on August 15, 2013, 03:24:51 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 15, 2013, 03:05:05 PM
Quote from: The End on August 15, 2013, 01:48:59 PM
Quote from: Aloha Ackbar on August 15, 2013, 03:05:01 AM

His kids would never drink his beer, Roger. It's all those other people's marijuana smoking that puts their kids at risk. Kids know not to drink beer or wine, or fucking 151. That weed though. No, they just can't resist that shit. If parents have weed around, those kids will smoke it down to every last roach.

My daughter won't even drink soda, in fact, other than a few sips when she was really young, she's never had soda.  But I also closely monitor what goes on in my home.  I rarely have beer in the house when the kids are home with me, but I also know my daughter, who is only 9, knows better.  She knows alcohol is not for kids and is only an adult thing,  She also knows the harm it causes. 

But the thing is, there are many, many parents who aren't as diligent and on top of things as I am.  It's a pretty commonly accepted fact that kids will experiment with what is most easily obtainable.  It's why Rx abuse is a big issue because they don't need to go to a dealer on the street.  They just need to go into their bathroom, or maybe Mom's purse.  Same with any unsecured alcohol in the home and it certainly would be the same with legal marijuana.  It's already the case with "legal" [size=78%]medical marijuana.  There is no denying this.[/size]

Yes, I see.  Special pleading.  YOUR kids won't be affected by the accessabilty of alcohol, it's all those OTHER kids who are affected by accessability of any given substance.  And since not all parents are such paragons of virtue, bad things will happen.

Got it.

You hilarious hypocrite.

Bad things DO happen.  According to the CDC, the number one source of accidental poisonings of kids is prescription drugs, more than any other household poison or product.  Over 64% of teens who abuse prescription painkillers get them from someone they know, including parents and other adults, often by taking them without permission.  There is no legitimate reason to believe that legal marijuana could somehow be immune to this.

Except that nobody has ever been accidentally poisoned by marijuana ever. Leaving out laced weed, which we can assume would be very uncommon when received from a licensed source.

Pergamos

Quote from: The End on August 15, 2013, 05:02:22 PM
Quote from: TALK TO ME ABOUT YOUR GENITALS on August 15, 2013, 05:00:29 PM
I do kind of hope he sticks around for another five years because the inevitable meltdown when his kids start smoking pot is going to be amazing.

Well, my son is only 3, so that seems pretty far-fetched.

So it'll probably be at least 10 years...

AFK

Quote from: Pergamos on August 15, 2013, 08:28:48 PM

His kids would never drink his beer, Roger. It's all those other people's marijuana smoking that puts their kids at risk. Kids know not to drink beer or wine, or fucking 151. That weed though. No, they just can't resist that shit. If parents have weed around, those kids will smoke it down to every last roach.

My daughter won't even drink soda, in fact, other than a few sips when she was really young, she's never had soda.  But I also closely monitor what goes on in my home.  I rarely have beer in the house when the kids are home with me, but I also know my daughter, who is only 9, knows better.  She knows alcohol is not for kids and is only an adult thing,  She also knows the harm it causes. 

But the thing is, there are many, many parents who aren't as diligent and on top of things as I am.  It's a pretty commonly accepted fact that kids will experiment with what is most easily obtainable.  It's why Rx abuse is a big issue because they don't need to go to a dealer on the street.  They just need to go into their bathroom, or maybe Mom's purse.  Same with any unsecured alcohol in the home and it certainly would be the same with legal marijuana.  It's already the case with "legal" [size=78%]medical marijuana.  There is no denying this.[/size]

Yes, I see.  Special pleading.  YOUR kids won't be affected by the accessabilty of alcohol, it's all those OTHER kids who are affected by accessability of any given substance.  And since not all parents are such paragons of virtue, bad things will happen.

Got it.

You hilarious hypocrite.

Bad things DO happen.  According to the CDC, the number one source of accidental poisonings of kids is prescription drugs, more than any other household poison or product.  Over 64% of teens who abuse prescription painkillers get them from someone they know, including parents and other adults, often by taking them without permission.  There is no legitimate reason to believe that legal marijuana could somehow be immune to this.

Except that nobody has ever been accidentally poisoned by marijuana ever. Leaving out laced weed, which we can assume would be very uncommon when received from a licensed source.

No, but kids become addicted to it, which I would call a bad thing happening.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

AFK

Quote from: Pergamos on August 15, 2013, 08:31:05 PM
I do kind of hope he sticks around for another five years because the inevitable meltdown when his kids start smoking pot is going to be amazing.

Nope.  It won't happen at all.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The End on August 15, 2013, 08:53:51 PM

:lulz:

Oh, shit.  The kid got into the medicine cabinet while we weren't looking and now he's ADDICTED TO MARIJUANA!

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The End on August 15, 2013, 08:54:37 PM
Quote from: Pergamos on August 15, 2013, 08:31:05 PM

Nope.  It won't happen at all.

Of course not.  Just like preacher's daughters never go haywire.  :lol:

AFK

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 15, 2013, 07:10:42 PM
Quote from: TALK TO ME ABOUT YOUR GENITALS on August 15, 2013, 06:58:44 PM
He's still frantically searching the internet for ANYTHING to support his claims that isn't "because we say so".

I doubt that.  His history of backing up his claims (or rather, not backing up his claims) is pretty consistent.  In fact, it's one of the only two consistent things about him.  Cognitive dissonance being the other one.

No, I was busy proofreading one of the other staff person's news articles after the MPH she went to told her she'd be better off coming to me. 

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The End on August 15, 2013, 08:56:59 PM
He's still frantically searching the internet for ANYTHING to support his claims that isn't "because we say so".

I doubt that.  His history of backing up his claims (or rather, not backing up his claims) is pretty consistent.  In fact, it's one of the only two consistent things about him.  Cognitive dissonance being the other one.

No, I was busy proofreading one of the other staff person's news articles after the MPH she went to told her she'd be better off coming to me.

Well, sure.  If you're generating bullshit, go talk to an MPP.  They have the time and the inclination.

Pergamos

Got it.

You hilarious hypocrite.

So presumably you are also opposed to adults having unrestricted access to World of Warcraft.

Pergamos

Quote from: The End on August 15, 2013, 08:56:59 PM

To dive into that a little.  Proofreading is correcting for spelling, grammar, and typos.  Anyone with a decent grasp of English can do it but it tends to take time and attention to detail.  Who better to spend time on something like that, a master of public health, who could be spending their time actually working on health related issues, or a master of public policy, who really doesn't have the skills to do anything more important?

AFK

Quote from: Pergamos on August 15, 2013, 09:25:08 PM

Got it.

You hilarious hypocrite.

So presumably you are also opposed to adults having unrestricted access to World of Warcraft.

Nope