News:

It's funny how the position for boot-licking is so close to the one used for curb-stomping.

Main Menu

More spiritual advice from TGRR

Started by Nephew Twiddleton, August 27, 2013, 02:35:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

TGRR,

I just realized now that your other half has returned to Asphodel, and perhaps it's time for spiritual advice. School is about to start for me again, what sort of mindset should I have going into it?
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Aloha Ackbar on August 27, 2013, 02:35:11 AM
TGRR,

I just realized now that your other half has returned to Asphodel, and perhaps it's time for spiritual advice. School is about to start for me again, what sort of mindset should I have going into it?

What's your major, again?
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 27, 2013, 02:39:53 AM
TGRR,

I just finished the equivalent of an Associates in History and Government, however, I am switching to some sort of to be determined Bachelor of Science in a subset of Biology with a double major in a to be determined other science (Environmental, Engineering, or Chemical). I can't actually switch my majors until I transfer to UMass Boston, for financial aid reasons.

ETA: ie- I might go into Bioengineering or Biochem. I might flesh that out more with appropriate double.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Aloha Ackbar on August 27, 2013, 02:42:57 AM
TGRR,

I just finished the equivalent of an Associates in History and Government, however, I am switching to some sort of to be determined Bachelor of Science in a subset of Biology with a double major in a to be determined other science (Environmental, Engineering, or Chemical). I can't actually switch my majors until I transfer to UMass Boston, for financial aid reasons.

ETA: ie- I might go into Bioengineering or Biochem. I might flesh that out more with appropriate double.

Um.

Start praying.

Now.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 27, 2013, 02:45:47 AM
Quote from: Aloha Ackbar on August 27, 2013, 02:42:57 AM
TGRR,

Um.

Start praying.

Now.

The Good Reverend Roger

The reason I say that is that you've gone from Government and History, which are based on human STUPIDITY, into science, which is based on how the universe, you know, ACTUALLY WORKS.

You have not UNDER-PREPARED, you have COUNTER-PREPARED.

The Good Reverend Roger

At least you weren't an economics major.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 27, 2013, 02:50:03 AM
The reason I say that is that you've gone from Government and History, which are based on human STUPIDITY, into science, which is based on how the universe, you know, ACTUALLY WORKS.

You have not UNDER-PREPARED, you have COUNTER-PREPARED.

I understand. In retrospect the Government classes were based on accepting that the system works. The History classes were pretty informative and pointed out the human stupidity.

But I'm ready for science. I just might not be ready for the math. I'm a bit rusty.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 27, 2013, 02:54:18 AM

Dear Lord, if ever a pseudoscience there ever was. Ain't no middle ground with them.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Aloha Ackbar on August 27, 2013, 02:59:05 AM

Dear Lord, if ever a pseudoscience there ever was. Ain't no middle ground with them.

Economics is FASCINATING. A little too witch-doctory for my tastes, but fascinating.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Surprise Happy Endings Whether You Want Them Or Not on August 27, 2013, 03:01:50 AM
Quote from: Aloha Ackbar on August 27, 2013, 02:59:05 AM

Economics is FASCINATING. A little too witch-doctory for my tastes, but fascinating.

I imagine it is, but there seems to always be a bias one way or the other. Based on political and historical trends (ha!) I would probably say that I approve of more governmental spending and less Libertarianism (it's worth noting that one of my political professors was a staunch pro-USA interventionist Libertarian). But economic studies seem to me to be based on ideal conditions, one way or the other.

Nephew Twiddleton

That is to say, that he felt that the USA has a very positive and necessary role in maintaining peace in the Middle East, as an arbitrator. So, in other words, completely full of shit.

Suu

You should have stuck with history like me. Watch me struggle through mountains of debt in a couple of years when I start teaching at the community college to make ends meet in attempts to get into a doctoral program so I can get into more debt and eventually upgrade to potty training undergrads at a university.

Which isn't at all what I want to do with my degree, but will probably bet the end result.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Suu on August 27, 2013, 03:27:43 AM
You should have stuck with history like me. Watch me struggle through mountains of debt in a couple of years when I start teaching at the community college to make ends meet in attempts to get into a doctoral program so I can get into more debt and eventually upgrade to potty training undergrads at a university.

Which isn't at all what I want to do with my degree, but will probably bet the end result.

Yeah, that's why I'm bailing. Not because I dislike history, but because my career options are fairly limited and the more that time goes on the less appealing teaching becomes. And you know, it's not like I'm opposed to a science career. From the time that I was 6 until the time I was 14 I wanted to be a scientist. I won't be an astronomer like what really tickles my fancy, but I can always do citizen science there for a hobby.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

SCIENCE is where it's at. And it never hurts to have a humanities background, I hear.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."