Author Topic: How to read and understand a scientific paper.  (Read 732 times)

Kai

• A flea circus and
  • Deserved It
  • Richard Feynman fangirl.
    • View Profile
How to read and understand a scientific paper.
« on: August 28, 2013, 01:51:35 pm »
Before you begin: some general advice
Reading a scientific paper is a completely different process than reading an article about science in a blog or newspaper. Not only do you read the sections in a different order than they’re presented, but you also have to take notes, read it multiple times, and probably go look up other papers for some of the details. Reading a single paper may take you a very long time at first. Be patient with yourself. The process will go much faster as you gain experience.

http://violentmetaphors.com/2013/08/25/how-to-read-and-understand-a-scientific-paper-2/
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Faust

• Tyrannical Overlord
  • Deserved It
  • The Greasy Strangler
    • View Profile
Re: How to read and understand a scientific paper.
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 02:26:56 pm »
This is really good, thank you.
May you find your worth in the waking world

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

• v=1/3πr2h
  • Deserved It
  • The sky tastes like red exuberance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 05:24:10 pm »
Before you begin: some general advice
Reading a scientific paper is a completely different process than reading an article about science in a blog or newspaper. Not only do you read the sections in a different order than they’re presented, but you also have to take notes, read it multiple times, and probably go look up other papers for some of the details. Reading a single paper may take you a very long time at first. Be patient with yourself. The process will go much faster as you gain experience.

http://violentmetaphors.com/2013/08/25/how-to-read-and-understand-a-scientific-paper-2/

Unless you're me, in which case you skip straight to the methods section, and you do this over and over and over again. :horrormirth: I hate my life. Only two more weeks.

“I’m guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk,” Charles Wick said. “It was very complicated.”

Nephew Twiddleton

• Deserved It
  • DEATH METAL ENGLISH
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 05:32:23 pm »
Ah good, thanks Kai
Steely-Eyed Replicant Frottage Master of Yesterday's Lost Glory
Sentence or sentence fragment pending[/size]

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS