News:

It's funny how the position for boot-licking is so close to the one used for curb-stomping.

Main Menu

Crappy Pictures.

Started by Cardinal Pizza Deliverance., September 08, 2013, 04:26:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

The abandoned subdivision that partly inspired the Lively Acres story has a few interesting features.

These first three pictures were taken last winter1. Most of these are going to be blurry because I do not have steady hands at all. And my balance has been extra shit since the car accident. Sorry. The title is kind of a warning.

At the far point of this here cul-de-sac there's a trail.

This trail is a loooooooooong downward stretch that leads here :

If you follow the water there's a waterfall and some other shit. I need to explore this more. But I didn't get that far today. Instead, I got a few shots of the upper part.

I like how there's one working street light in that whole mess.

And open sewer access.

That curve of pavement is another part of the abandoned subdivision . . . three subdivisions over. It goes on for acres and acres back there.

Here's my favorite shot.

My grandma was an amature photographer. And this picture reminds me of her photos.

Anyway, there you go. Shitty pictures of the SubDivision That Time Forgot. I'll explore it some more another day.

Some other things I've seen involve random piles of mattresses, paint graffiti on the pavement, and a pile of old Christmas trees.

I am very tempted to set up a psuedo Satanic ritual in one of the cul-de-sacs and see what happens when the neighborhood kids find it, but one of the Uber-Christian mothers would probably burn the whole area down trying to drive out the devil.

1 By 'winter' I mean 'Georgia's extended Fall that substitutes for the real thing'.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Reginald Ret

Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Oooooh I love this kind of thing! There's one of these in the West Hills, but it's about 70 years old now. The Leif Erickson subdivision. There are even still foundations where they were going to build houses, but apparently there were too many mudslides and they had to abandon it, so now that's where Old Weird Ben cultivates his army of stray cats.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Reginald Ret

That reminds me of a castle they started building around here.

They never finished it and it is now for sale for 1 euro, provided you sign a contract that you will finish it within the rules of the municipality.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Q. G. Pennyworth

Link? I kinda want a castle...

A castle would be cool but do municipal standards allow for a moat?

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Wow... too bad the cost to finish it would be so steep, that would be cool.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on September 09, 2013, 01:15:15 AM
A castle would be cool but do municipal standards allow for a moat?
Yes.
Sadly, there are function requirements. Basically, anything that realisticly could make it make money is not allowed.

Quote from: Facemeat on September 09, 2013, 01:29:48 AM
Wow... too bad the cost to finish it would be so steep, that would be cool.
Yep, crazy expensive. Also, the concrete was exposed to the elements for so long a lot of it would need to be repaired.

Kai

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on September 08, 2013, 04:26:01 AM
The abandoned subdivision that partly inspired the Lively Acres story has a few interesting features.

These first three pictures were taken last winter1. Most of these are going to be blurry because I do not have steady hands at all. And my balance has been extra shit since the car accident. Sorry. The title is kind of a warning.

At the far point of this here cul-de-sac there's a trail.

This trail is a loooooooooong downward stretch that leads here :

If you follow the water there's a waterfall and some other shit. I need to explore this more. But I didn't get that far today. Instead, I got a few shots of the upper part.

I like how there's one working street light in that whole mess.

And open sewer access.

That curve of pavement is another part of the abandoned subdivision . . . three subdivisions over. It goes on for acres and acres back there.

Here's my favorite shot.

My grandma was an amature photographer. And this picture reminds me of her photos.

Anyway, there you go. Shitty pictures of the SubDivision That Time Forgot. I'll explore it some more another day.

Some other things I've seen involve random piles of mattresses, paint graffiti on the pavement, and a pile of old Christmas trees.

I am very tempted to set up a psuedo Satanic ritual in one of the cul-de-sacs and see what happens when the neighborhood kids find it, but one of the Uber-Christian mothers would probably burn the whole area down trying to drive out the devil.

1 By 'winter' I mean 'Georgia's extended Fall that substitutes for the real thing'.

Okay, CPD? This is really creepy, but...I think I know that place. I've been to an abandoned subdivision in Georgia, with those exact street lamps, and trails.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Freaky, man. What town were you in? And what the heck were you doing there? Bug hunting or dodging the po-po?

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on September 09, 2013, 09:57:33 PM
Freaky, man. What town were you in? And what the heck were you doing there? Bug hunting or dodging the po-po?

Everyone in this area has a story about how they dodged the cops by hiding in the woods/abandoned house/sewer/field of corn. Apparently cops are easily confused by non-urban landscapes.

Went again yesterday, for a little bit. Didn't stay long because my fucked up leg fucked up.

Shots are different sizes because I was screwing around with the camera settings for shits and giggles.

It smelled really strongly of animal in parts of the division. Like, so strongly I could smell it (by which I mean taste it, since I lack a sense of smell). Either a deer peed on me when I wasn't looking or elephants and horses have turned invisible to follow people around. It was a very strong scent/taste of more than one critter but I only saw a handful of tracks. Might have been a poacher's set-up. Oops.

I don't know if you can see that far back, but all the little white stakes are marking individual lots. It goes back waaaaay far.

Two shots of old growth vs new growth.

Damn, I miss my grandma.

Kudzu taking over every damn thing.

Fire hydrant.

Gratuitous and obligatory sunset shot.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

That is beautiful!

Why do you lack a sense of smell?

Quote from: Facemeat on September 11, 2013, 01:59:51 AM
That is beautiful!

Not sure. Just never had a really strong sense of smell. It seems to have faded even more over the years.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on September 11, 2013, 02:07:27 AM
Quote from: Facemeat on September 11, 2013, 01:59:51 AM
That is beautiful!

Not sure. Just never had a really strong sense of smell. It seems to have faded even more over the years.

This is going to sound weird, but have you ever tried Zinc supplements?