Testimonial: "This board is everything that's fucking wrong with the internet"

Main Menu

I love Miley Cyrus

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, September 10, 2013, 08:31:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 11, 2013, 02:20:30 AM
Quote from: Be Kind, Please RWHNd on September 11, 2013, 01:57:38 AM
It seems to be missing content that would make it interesting.

Okay.

QuoteAlso, from some research it looks like she neither wrote the song nor directed the video.  So how is she not just another manufactured pop star like all of the other manufactured pop stars who don't write their own music?

I don't expect pop stars to direct.  It's not what they do.  I am also not bothered that she didn't write the song, whether or not you mean the music or the lyrics...Even Elton John doesn't write his own lyrics, he has Bernie Taupin for that.  Usually Elton John's IDEA, but Taupin's LYRICS.

Thing is, there's something really neat about that video, but I can't really make you pay attention, if you hate it that much.

I don't hate it, I just don't get the hub-bub about it or her.  She just seems to be the latest flavor of the day using "controversial" imagery to get eyeballs and move units.   Madonna did that, and frankly did it better.  I'm thinking "Like a Prayer" in particular.  I don't see anything any different with Ms. Cyrus here.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Anna Mae Bollocks

No glitz, no glamor.
Just a girl in her underwear and a bunch of metal and concrete.
She looks good, but it's not PRETTY.
I love this shit.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Be Kind, Please RWHNd on September 11, 2013, 02:55:32 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 11, 2013, 02:20:30 AM
Quote from: Be Kind, Please RWHNd on September 11, 2013, 01:57:38 AM
It seems to be missing content that would make it interesting.

Okay.

QuoteAlso, from some research it looks like she neither wrote the song nor directed the video.  So how is she not just another manufactured pop star like all of the other manufactured pop stars who don't write their own music?

I don't expect pop stars to direct.  It's not what they do.  I am also not bothered that she didn't write the song, whether or not you mean the music or the lyrics...Even Elton John doesn't write his own lyrics, he has Bernie Taupin for that.  Usually Elton John's IDEA, but Taupin's LYRICS.

Thing is, there's something really neat about that video, but I can't really make you pay attention, if you hate it that much.

I don't hate it, I just don't get the hub-bub about it or her.  She just seems to be the latest flavor of the day using "controversial" imagery to get eyeballs and move units.   Madonna did that, and frankly did it better.  I'm thinking "Like a Prayer" in particular.  I don't see anything any different with Ms. Cyrus here.

Actually, she's using a gimmick, alright...But it's not the immediately obvious one.  She leaves something crucial out of each performance (granted, only 2 data points here, and both are different things), and what she leaves out makes everything horrible and wrong.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: stelz on September 11, 2013, 02:57:02 AM
No glitz, no glamor.
Just a girl in her underwear and a bunch of metal and concrete.
She looks good, but it's not PRETTY.
I love this shit.

Stelz, see if you can spot the missing ingredient in that video.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Kai

Is it the complete lack of men anywhere? Or just other people in general?
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Kai on September 11, 2013, 03:34:45 AM

DING.

Also, the visuals and the lyrics?  She IS the man.

This is why the balance of the outrage is from men.  WAY in the back of their brain, they're getting rape panic signals.  The screeching outrage all over social media is pretty much based on this.

Kai

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 11, 2013, 03:38:22 AM

DING.

This is why the balance of the outrage is from men.  WAY in the back of their brain, they're getting rape panic signals.  The screeching outrage all over social media is pretty much based on this.

So, they're basically freaking out over a reaction they don't really understand and rationalizing it. Hilarious.  :lulz:

Because when I look at this video, I think, wow. Whoever this character is, she is one strong woman and any person would be lucky to have that sort of passionate person in their life, that drive to break down walls.

ETA: And by strong, I mean possessing of character and self agency.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

AFK

http://www.hngn.com/articles/12069/20130910/miley-cyrus-wrecking-ball-explained-breakdown-deeper-meaning-behind-singer.htm

If you read this it sounds like it is just another break-up song.  So nothing to freak out about, but not anything to really write home about either. 

I don't get the reactions either way.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Yeah, art is complicated and hard, it's best to not think about it too much. It's just a little girl singing a breakup song, is all.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 11, 2013, 03:38:22 AM

DING.

Bingo.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Don Coyote

Quote from: What The Fox Say on September 11, 2013, 06:16:19 AM
Yeah, art is complicated and hard, it's best to not think about it too much. It's just a little girl singing a breakup song, is all.
:lulz:

I'm making my wife watch this when she gets home.

Bu🤠ns

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2415843/Miley-Cyrus-spanks-twerking-dwarf-performing-We-Cant-Stop-German-TV.html

A striking performance! Miley Cyrus spanks a twerking dwarf while performing We Can't Stop on German TV

Okay I'm convinced!

Faust

So people are getting upset because she is presented as sexually dominant as opposed to a sexualised... I don't know what you would call it.... offering, due to the lack of men?

And the lack of any other people makes it have this weird horror movie feel? Without anyone else in it it directly makes the audience feel like voyeurs which makes people uncomfortable?

Wrecking ball is testicle?

Am I even vaguely in the right area here?
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Anna Mae Bollocks

It did cross my mind that there's nobody else in the video, but I rejected the idea because there's been others (the one that ended Billy Squires' career comes to mind, lol) But the others aren't women singing about taking any kind of sexual initiative, so yeah. Sublimninally disturbing to all the people screeching about it. :lulz:
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Faust on September 11, 2013, 08:54:13 AM
Wrecking ball is testicle?

Am I even vaguely in the right area here?

You're in the right forest, wrong tree.