News:

It's a bad decade to be bipedal, soft and unarmed.

Main Menu

Both fat people and poor people make the wrong choices.

Started by Pæs, September 24, 2013, 06:57:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pæs

They should just drink organic juice.
http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/BU1309/S00864/fresh-and-local-to-get-through-poverty-challenge.htm

QuoteFresh and local to get through poverty challenge

As hundreds of Kiwis embrace a spartan diet of lentils and rice for the Live Below the Line challenge this week, Ella Rose will be enjoying a wide variety of nutrient rich, locally sourced meals for her 5 days of living on just $2.25 a day. The artist, musician and campaigner has opted to work with Lyndal Jefferies who runs rEvolution juicing on Waiheke to prepare a comprehensive selection of energizing meals and healthy juices.

The Live Below the Line campaign is designed to focus the national spotlight on the hard choices faced by 1.2 billion people living in extreme poverty. Participants spend 5 days below the poverty line as an act of solidarity and to raise funds for a range of leading charities.

Jefferies embraced the mission to prepare 5 days of food for just $11.25. rEvolution has built a loyal and growing base of customers with its model of fresh raw food & juices delivered to their homes. For Rose, the highly nutritious organic juices seemed an obvious place to turn to get through the extreme poverty challenge.

"Once I committed to taking the challenge, I knew I needed to work with rEvolution to get the right balance of healthy foods " said Rose, "The juices are so full of life and so energizing, I really welcomed the chance to benefit from Lyndal's extensive knowledge of affordable local food sources."

While highlighting the plight of the world's poor is a top priority, Rose says the challenge for her is about much more than starving yourself for a charity.
"We live in a world where the numbers of obese people now are greater than the number of people starving, a world where over a billion people are barely surviving on less than NZ$2.25 a day, and where 70% of the extreme poor are women and children," she said. "I see the challenge as an opportunity for me to make intelligent food choices and to reflect deeply on our relationship to health, nutrition, and our global food production and distribution systems."

For Rose, the challenge embodies the "Think Global, Act Local" motto and offers a chance to discuss positive ideas that challenge the status quo.
"I believe that our planet really is in need of a revolution, a revolution in consciousness about food, about health, and about fairness and resources," Rose said. "There is something seriously wrong in a world where mass obesity and malnourishment live side by side, where people with too much are killing themselves with food, and people with not enough, are trapped in a cycle of desperation."

Over 1500 people across the country have signed up to take the Live Below the Line challenge. Their experiences will prompt hundreds of conversations about extreme poverty and raise over $500,000 for 23 anti-poverty organizations.

Every day Ella will eat tangelos, apples, smoked fish lettuce wraps, apple pulp truffles and grain and seeds balls along with a daily Green Juice made from organically grown Kale, Cavolo Nero, Spinach, broccoli leaves, mint and apple and green smoothies made from Waiheke grown bananas.

Like Rose, the challenge has forced Jefferies to examine some of the wasteful elements of the food system.

"Plants like broccoli produce so many dark green nutrient rich leaves and they are usually thrown away," she said. "We can eat so much more of our plants than we realise."

Rose is raising funds for the Global Poverty Project, the organization that coordinates the Live Below the Line challenge.

"Extreme poverty can feel like a problem that is so far away and that we can't help solve," said Rose. "This experience of working with Lyndal, reflecting on industrial food systems, the resulting health problems and talking about local alternatives, these are insights that can have a huge impact in the developing world."

For Jefferies, who already runs her business with an ethical 'zero waste' policy, our whole relationship with food production and consumption is out of balance. She works closely with the local community on Waiheke to source her organic fruit and vegetables and to step away from supermarket food systems that consume expensive 'food miles' and often sell cheap food with little or no nutritional value. She is passionate about the health benefits of juicing and says that even on a limited diet that reflects the fiscal restrictions of the Live below the Line challenge, Rose should feel the benefits of not eating processed foods, refined carbohydrates, coffee, chocolate and other staples of the 'modern' diet.

Ella Rose will be living on just $2.25 a day for all food and drink from the 23rd-27th of September. To support her, please go to livebelowtheline.com/nz and search for her name. To find out more about rEvolution, please find them on Facebook: waihekejuicerevolution

Junkenstein

QuoteEvery day Ella will eat tangelos, apples, smoked fish lettuce wraps, apple pulp truffles and grain and seeds balls along with a daily Green Juice made from organically grown Kale, Cavolo Nero, Spinach, broccoli leaves, mint and apple and green smoothies made from Waiheke grown bananas.

Well that's just fucking peachy.

Every single time a "challenge" like this comes around the results are universally the same.

1- The majority of people would not have access to the chosen diet
2- The nutritional intake from said diet is laughable
3-Everyone(most) attempting said diet fail and have a cheeseburger sooner or later.
4-The only person who really believes the diet is accessible and affordable is the celeb/organisation pushing it
5-Poverty is bad
6-Being hungry sucks
7- Claim moral superiority by your participation rendering all discussion on the subject pointless.

Proceed to forget all of the above, particularly 5 over the next 2/3 years, then undertake another diet.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I also love how the implication, on some level, is that people below the poverty line would be just fine if they were just virtuous enough to eat fresh raw foods.

LEARN TO LIVE BELOW THE POVERTY LINE YOU SLACKERS. Instead of all your useless complaining about the rich.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Of course, an element of truth is that poor people do, in fact, have worse decision-making ability than people who are comfortable, for complex reasons that I've posted here before having to do with the way survival stress affects the brain.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Mean Mister Nigel on September 24, 2013, 05:46:23 PM
Of course, an element of truth is that poor people do, in fact, have worse decision-making ability than people who are comfortable, for complex reasons that I've posted here before having to do with the way survival stress affects the brain.

We were in a class at work that described how the neocortex/frontal lobes react under stress, with stress being defined as two things:

1.  Any heartrate over 100, and
2.  Anything that starts adrenaline floods.

Usually one cause does both, but not always...Adrenaline floods can happen when people even consider their plight, and they can last a lot longer than people used to think.  It ties right in with what you've been saying.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Salty

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on September 24, 2013, 05:50:57 PM

We were in a class at work that described how the neocortex/frontal lobes react under stress, with stress being defined as two things:

Usually one cause does both, but not always...Adrenaline floods can happen when people even consider their plight, and they can last a lot longer than people used to think.  It ties right in with what you've been saying.

When that adrenaline floods, cortisol comes with it. Cortisol initiates your myofibrils to start the production of collagen, which distributes along patterns of tension, lining muscle and connective tissue, making them thicker and more taut. The areas where these tension patterns distribute vary person to person.

The point of this is to enable to you run from a bear faster. The more taut your internal pressure system is, the more GO you get.

This eventually leads to restriction of movement, pain, numbeness, nerve impingement, and settles over time. This too distracts from daily living and accounts for much of the pain  associated with aging.

It takes time, effort, and mental energy to deal with this once it has been built up. It also costs a lot of money to figure out why the pain is happening.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Salty

It also inhibits people from exercising as that collagen makes it more painful to gain range of motion and makes you feel trapped in one position. Which leads into a nasty feedback loop where people don't burn off extra adrenaline and cease cortisol production, which leads to MOAR of both.

AND, WHAT IS MORE, cortisol, once pumping on a regular basis TRIES TO KEEP PUMPING. It becomes very, very difficult to manage at this point. People who jist cant relax, find baths boring, fidgity.

Adrenaline and cortisol are always together.

Sorry, didn't mean to derail thread.

Pergamos

Another thing missing from the considerations of the people designing the diet is that it takes work to transform raw food into something edible.  Time and skill both.  A lot of people on foodstamps are spending all their time just scraping by, they do not have time to put in the work it takes to transform raw food into something they can eat and a lot of them also don't have the skill to do so.

There are cooking classes offered by job and family services in my town, but they don't give you the skills you need to make cheap raw food into something nutritious and tasty.  They also don't count toward required volunteer hours, so most recipients don't have time for them either.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Alty on September 24, 2013, 06:24:05 PM
It also inhibits people from exercising as that collagen makes it more painful to gain range of motion and makes you feel trapped in one position. Which leads into a nasty feedback loop where people don't burn off extra adrenaline and cease cortisol production, which leads to MOAR of both.

AND, WHAT IS MORE, cortisol, once pumping on a regular basis TRIES TO KEEP PUMPING. It becomes very, very difficult to manage at this point. People who jist cant relax, find baths boring, fidgity.

Adrenaline and cortisol are always together.

Sorry, didn't mean to derail thread.
Not a derail, fascinating.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on September 24, 2013, 05:50:57 PM

Yeah, and also I can't link to it right now because of my ongoing internet issues, but recent research indicates that the more challenging day-to-day survival pressures are, the less efficient the processes that go into decision-making are; there is literally inadequate processing power left for decision-making because "how am I going to eat/pay bills/get to work/get my kid in to see the dentist" are all running in the background all the time, sucking up processing power. The result is that EACH of those problems gets a smaller share of brainpower because there are too many processes running at once.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

There is also growing evidence that status inequality is the largest contributor to obesity, for all the reasons Alty mentioned. Not total income, but relative income, and how great the status differential is.

hooplala

Also, and I'm only being partly facetious here... food which is bad for you often tastes really really good, in addition to being cheap.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Junkenstein

Quote from: Mean Mister Nigel on September 24, 2013, 06:48:58 PM
There is also growing evidence that status inequality is the largest contributor to obesity, for all the reasons Alty mentioned. Not total income, but relative income, and how great the status differential is.

I am intrigued and wish to know more.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Bruno

Clearly the solution is for MonsantoPfizerBristolMeyersSquibb to develop a GM probiotic that gives the poor the ability to digest grass.
Formerly something else...

Salty

Quote from: Emo Howard on September 24, 2013, 08:26:17 PM
Clearly the solution is for MonsantoPfizerBristolMeyersSquibb to develop a GM probiotic that gives the poor the ability to digest grass.

I'd sign right up. Just look at all those lawn farms. I'd be rich in grass!