News:

Testimonial: "I cannot see a slither of a viable defense for this godawful circlejerk board."

Main Menu

Unlimited Higher Education Thread

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, September 28, 2013, 09:26:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

UNNNNGH

After today's class I just dropped the Tu/Th chemistry class next term for the M/W class.

Drawbacks: I lose the amazingawesome lab partner (and hopefully forever friend) I had this term, I have to carry all my books to class (they are heavy as fuck) my class days will be VERY long, and Wednesday becomes an insane grueling 10-hour long day of schoolin' that I don't return from until 9 at night. Plus I will undoubtedly spend extra money on food when I forget/don't have time to pack two meals.

Advantages; I'll have Tuesdays and Thursdays off completely other than homework (much of which I will probably complete during the 3 boresome hours between classes) and I will have a really good chemistry teacher rather than the horrible one I am currently saddled with, and will most likely be able to salvage my GPA.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Suu

Should I ever get the magic words from URI, I already have my classes picked for next semester. Historic Underwater Archaeology, Women of the Middle Ages, and Jews Living in the Islamic World. I'm going to TRY to get into Advanced Latin Readings if they let me, because it's an undergrad class in a different department. They're doing the Epistles of Pliny the Younger and some Cicero, which means proper hair-pulling fun.

So far, I've been told by the graduate school that "Applications are currently being processed and I will be notified when a decision has been made" and then last night my presumptive advisor-to-be's email got hacked, so I got something from her, and nearly did back flips til I saw it was a spam link. So today I was really rather grumpy around campus.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Payne

Quote from: Radagast's Red Velvet Pancake Puppies on December 04, 2013, 03:22:58 AM
UNNNNGH

After today's class I just dropped the Tu/Th chemistry class next term for the M/W class.

Drawbacks: I lose the amazingawesome lab partner (and hopefully forever friend) I had this term, I have to carry all my books to class (they are heavy as fuck) my class days will be VERY long, and Wednesday becomes an insane grueling 10-hour long day of schoolin' that I don't return from until 9 at night. Plus I will undoubtedly spend extra money on food when I forget/don't have time to pack two meals.

Advantages; I'll have Tuesdays and Thursdays off completely other than homework (much of which I will probably complete during the 3 boresome hours between classes) and I will have a really good chemistry teacher rather than the horrible one I am currently saddled with, and will most likely be able to salvage my GPA.

You should have gone for the Tho/th Chemistry class. He has the head of an baboon you know. And the ass of a baboon.

Look, he's basically a baboon alright?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Payne on December 04, 2013, 05:46:03 AM
Quote from: Radagast's Red Velvet Pancake Puppies on December 04, 2013, 03:22:58 AM
UNNNNGH

You should have gone for the Tho/th Chemistry class. He has the head of an baboon you know. And the ass of a baboon.

:lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Payne

Quote from: Radagast's Red Velvet Pancake Puppies on December 04, 2013, 06:35:44 AM
UNNNNGH

Sometimes, he's an Ibis.

Aucoq

UNNNNGH

"All of the world's leading theologists agree only on the notion that God hates no-fault insurance."

Horrid and Sticky Llama Wrangler of Last Week's Forbidden Desire.

Salty

Took the acuplacer for the second time.

Look out, Pre-Algebra, IMA FUCK YOU UP.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Alty on December 04, 2013, 05:44:27 PM
Took the acuplacer for the second time.

Look out, Pre-Algebra, IMA FUCK YOU UP.

You are going to OWN THIS!!!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I am going to be interested in seeing how many people are left in my chemistry class tomorrow. The instructor made a point of telling us what the minimum score that would still pass the class would be. Only about a dozen people showed up to lab. I know 221 is a weeder class but I thought they were trying to move away from that model... I guess this guy didn't get the memo.

I kind of feel like it should send a message that if 3/4 of your class drop, maaayyyyybe you're doing something wrong?

I also can't help wondering why people drop in the last three weeks. It's too late to get a refund, and if they have to re-take the class anyway, why not stick it out and re-take it next term? People do that with A&P regularly to get the A they need for nursing school.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Hmmm I wonder if I can audit Ochem and A&P before I take them for serious? That would be awesome.

Salty

Pretty sure Income Tax is gonna be a big ole F. Maybe I can hammer away at a low C, a sympathy C maybe.

Fucking income tax. I knew I should get an accountent, but now exactly why.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Lenin McCarthy

Two exams down (pre-1500 World History and Examen Facultatum (historiography and methodology)), one to go (pre-1814 Norwegian History). I've been an awful student this first semester, but I'm pretty sure I'll pass these. I need to learn to allocate my time better, though. The difference between high school (30 compulsory class hours per week + homework) and uni (at most maybe 7 compulsory class hours per week) is crazy.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Lenin McCarthy on December 04, 2013, 09:56:56 PM
Two exams down (pre-1500 World History and Examen Facultatum (historiography and methodology)), one to go (pre-1814 Norwegian History). I've been an awful student this first semester, but I'm pretty sure I'll pass these. I need to learn to allocate my time better, though. The difference between high school (30 compulsory class hours per week + homework) and uni (at most maybe 7 compulsory class hours per week) is crazy.

Yeah, it's pretty amazing. I'm taking a full load next term and I'll only have class three days a week. Which means that the other four days I have to be on my OWN ass about studying.

I realized today that my only complaint about my biology instructor is that he doesn't assign homework. At all. And other than halfheartedly poking through the book and watching Crash Course Biology videos on Youtube, I don't really do anything that could be considered "studying" for that class. He's just such a brilliant lecturer that I've been kind of coasting on that.

Suu

Looking at online programs at Norwich University in VT. It's a brick and mortar private military college that offers online MA degrees in such fields as history, military history, and diplomacy. Prices are good, and you're required to attend a physical graduation. I have 2 of my friends doing the military history track now, and another friend that actually works there. They say it's a good choice if I'm going to be bouncing around for a bit.  I'm just always skeptical of online degrees, especially with the market being flooded by for-profit bullshits like University of Phoenix, DeVry, et al.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

My psych professor is working on her PhD online in some school in LA. Only thing is, she has to fly there four times a year to do stuff in person. But quite a few reputable universities now offer distance learning programs.

In other news, after my chemistry professor's 2-hour lecture on orbital hybridization I was completely lost, so I went to my lab instructor and she explained it to me perfectly clearly in 10 minutes. I'm taking her class next term, because after he explained it it made NO sense at all.