News:

FUCK YOU! MY UNCLE SAM DIED FROM NOT USING FACTS!

Main Menu

Marijuana legalization associated with a decrease in traffic deaths

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, October 11, 2013, 10:46:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

AFK

Driving while impaired by marijuana creates silly amounts of risk to the driver and, ergo, others on the road.

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/2012/02/09/smoke-and-mirrors-driving-while-on-marijuana-doubles-ones-chances-of-a-serious-car-crash/

In addition to the finding that drivers who had recently smoked pot were substantially more likely to be involved in a serious accident, the researchers found that those who had died in these crashes had higher amounts of the drug's compound tetrahydrocannabinol than those who survived.

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Not Your Average Mean on October 14, 2013, 11:04:41 AM
Driving while impaired by marijuana creates silly amounts of risk to the driver and, ergo, others on the road.

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/2012/02/09/smoke-and-mirrors-driving-while-on-marijuana-doubles-ones-chances-of-a-serious-car-crash/

In addition to the finding that drivers who had recently smoked pot were substantially more likely to be involved in a serious accident, the researchers found that those who had died in these crashes had higher amounts of the drug's compound tetrahydrocannabinol than those who survived.
I'm glad to see we all agree that driving stoned is less stupid than driving drunk but still very stupid. I am glad you finally came around.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

AFK

I don't agree with that premise at all.  Driving impaired is driving impaired.  Tacitly encouraging people to drive stoned is reckless and irresponsible.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Q. G. Pennyworth

http://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafety/impaired_driving/impaired-drv_factsheet.html

http://www.borkensteincourse.org/faculty%20documents/DubowskiCrashRisk.pdf

If I'm reading this correctly, acute marijuana use doubles your risk of an accident, while drinking can increase it by as much as 140 times over (after that you're well into alcohol poisoning territory).

Can someone with a better science brain read these things and make sure I'm not being an idiot?

Cain

The Good Reverend Roger

IMO, doing ANYTHING to impair your driving is stupid.

I don't think anyone here is arguing that people should drive stoned.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 14, 2013, 03:10:26 PM

So much THIS. If any causation is involved here, perhaps its that people who are stoned make the more 'paranoid/conservative' decision not to drive, whereas people who are drunk make the more stupid decision to drive impaired.

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Bebek Sincap Ratatosk on October 14, 2013, 03:14:53 PM

So much THIS. If any causation is involved here, perhaps its that people who are stoned make the more 'paranoid/conservative' decision not to drive, whereas people who are drunk make the more stupid decision to drive impaired.

Assumes facts not in evidence.  My suspicion is that people tend to smoke at home, rather than go out, but there's no data supporting that, or even solid proof that there's causation here at all.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 14, 2013, 03:17:04 PM
Quote from: Bebek Sincap Ratatosk on October 14, 2013, 03:14:53 PM

Assumes facts not in evidence.  My suspicion is that people tend to smoke at home, rather than go out, but there's no data supporting that, or even solid proof that there's causation here at all.

Which is why I said 'if' ;-)

As far as I can tell there are lots of conflicting reports on the topic and none of them seem to have anything other than correlation.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Yeah, all we know is that there is a strong and remarkable correlation between legalization of marijuana and a decrease in drunk driving deaths. We don't know WHY. It seems very likely that many people are choosing to smoke pot instead of to drink (confirming that would come back around to finding out whether alcohol sales will drop in states which have legalized marijuana, which we probably won't have firm data on until 2016), and if that is the case, the next step would be to determined whether they are smoking pot and not driving, or smoking pot and driving with less dangerous outcomes than with drinking and driving.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Demolition Squid

Of course, the interesting questions are - if marijuana becomes legalized the world over - what effect will this have on fatal plane accidents? Is it better to pilot a passenger jet stoned than dead drunk? Does it make airline food more tolerable? These are the hidden upsides the anti-legalization lobby doesn't want you to know about.
Vast and Roaring Nipplebeast from the Dawn of Soho

Cain

Demolition Squid

If we couldn't, I'd like to hear another reason Big Oil has been donating so much money to the anti-legalization movement.

Hemp production largely ceased in 1938. Global warming has skyrocketed in that same period. Coincidence? You decide.
Vast and Roaring Nipplebeast from the Dawn of Soho