News:

PD's body has a way of shutting pro-lifer's down.

Main Menu

Jehovah's Witnesses

Started by Q. G. Pennyworth, October 17, 2013, 01:32:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junkenstein

Quote from: Bebek Sincap Ratatosk on October 21, 2013, 10:53:23 AM
Quote from: Junkenstein on October 18, 2013, 08:45:07 PM
I trust you made it very clear that you have nothing to do with any filthy pagans.

Everything Not X is Pagan for Y's. Also, anything X but not YX is False X.

I think I've fixed that to cover the stance of pretty much all strands of Christianity and bunch of others.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Q. G. Pennyworth

I did convince them to read Strange Times with the "there's no worship there" tactic.

They want me to come back with some kind of presentation, and we can argue about it. They're going the "the bible must br true because EVIDENCE" route, which is funny.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on October 21, 2013, 01:43:05 PM
I did convince them to read Strange Times with the "there's no worship there" tactic.

They want me to come back with some kind of presentation, and we can argue about it. They're going the "the bible must br true because EVIDENCE" route, which is funny.

OH yes, entire books on that topic. "Is the Bible Really the Word of God?", "Reasoning from the Scriptures", All Scriptures are Insipired" etc.

Some things to note: They have no idea that most secular references to Jesus appear either fake or not particularly referencing Jesus. They accept as fact (and assume archeology supports) Israel being slaves in Egypt, The Exodus, the taking of the Promised Land and the Kings from Saul through Zedekiah.They also accept as fact that Israel was destroyed by the Babylonians in 607 BCE instead of 586 like the rest of the world. That bit is important, since it allows them to calculate the Gentile Times (the time from the last King of Israel to the time when Jesus became Gods chosen King in 1914, thus beginning the End Times) and tell everyone that the End is Near (though they did have to keep tweaking that one from "Armeggedon will be in 1914" to "1914 marks the beginning of the end which will happen right after the heros of the Bible are brought back to life" to "1914 marks the beginning of the end and 1975 marks the 6000th year of human existance and thus Armeggedon" to "The generation that was alive in 1914 will not all die out before the end" to "fuzzy fuzzy mushmouth no one knows the day or the hour".  :lulz:

They are very vocal that they are not "Young Earth Creationists" and will generally say that since the Bible says "1000 years is as a day to the Lord" that the Creative Days were 1000 years each and that the earth itself might have been here for millions of years before God began to prepare it for life.

They will likely dazzle you with all the prophecies that have come to be fulfilled. The March of the World Powers, Daniel's prophecy of the rise of Alexandar the Great (the Hairy He Goat from his dream). There's the great prophecy about how the city of Tyre would be completely destroyed and never used again, which I bet would surprise the people of Tyre who live there today... but evidence never gets in the way of Prophecy Fulfillment ;-)

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

The Good Reverend Roger

If you prove faith with evidence, it isn't faith anymore, and you've destroyed your own religion.

Just saying.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Q. G. Pennyworth