News:

If you really want to hurt your parents, and you don't have the nerve to be a homosexual, the least you can do is go into the arts. But do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites, standing for absolutely nothing. All they do is show you've been to college.

Main Menu

So, it looks like my child-rearing philosophy was correct...

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, October 21, 2013, 09:59:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

Spanking really has no utility as far as getting the child to learn or adjust behavior.  It works in the short term, but it is consistent reasoning that is going to work in the long run.  I've never raised a hand to either of my children.  Reasoning worked fine.  You may not be able to reason with a 2 year old but spanking them doesn't teach them anything other than when you make Mommy or Daddy mad they are going to smack you. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: What's New Wildebeest? on October 22, 2013, 05:01:20 PM
Spanking really has no utility as far as getting the child to learn or adjust behavior.  It works in the short term, but it is consistent reasoning that is going to work in the long run.  I've never raised a hand to either of my children.  Reasoning worked fine.  You may not be able to reason with a 2 year old but spanking them doesn't teach them anything other than when you make Mommy or Daddy mad they are going to smack you.

And don't stick the fork in the electrical outlet.

But, of course, your children are fucking GENIUSES and understood electrical theory from the moment of conception, right?

:lulz:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Demolition Squid

I was spanked, although I'd be quick to say they never overdid it. Its definitely not the spanking which has stayed with me over the years.

My dad has recently expressed some weird views on this, though. He said it is most useful for the parents; that a lot of the parents he saw who never spanked their kid would instead get very frustrated, bottle it up, and create an atmosphere of tension that would upset the kid more because they can't do anything about it. To his way of thinking, at least with a quick spank, its all over afterwards and both parent and kid can feel like the issue is resolved.

I'm not sure I agree, but I don't have kids and have no plans to change that any time soon, if at all. I do not feel in any way qualified to tell anyone else how to do it.
Vast and Roaring Nipplebeast from the Dawn of Soho

AFK

No.  That's what outlet covers are for.  If they did try to mess with them, I'd just say, "No, ouch, hot" and move them away.  Seemed to do the trick.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: What's New Wildebeest? on October 22, 2013, 05:12:29 PM
No.  That's what outlet covers are for.  If they did try to mess with them, I'd just say, "No, ouch, hot" and move them away.  Seemed to do the trick.

Yes, because when visiting other peoples' houses, it is totally acceptable to ask them to baby-proof their house before you arrive.

UNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG

RWHN, of course, is an expert on all things, and has achieved a state of Mike.  In which not only is HE right, EVERYONE ELSE HAS TO BE WRONG.  NO MATTER WHAT THE SUBJECT IS.

I gotta ask, RWHN, have you ever considered a career in the field of engineering?

Because you and Mike really ought to go bowling.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

AFK

I'm not seeing universal agreement ITT that spanking = good.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: What's New Wildebeest? on October 22, 2013, 05:22:44 PM
I'm not seeing universal agreement ITT that spanking = good.

What the fuck does that have to do with anything?  You're here to vomit up your contrarianism again.  Just like always.  It's what you DO.

Lord Cataplanga

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 22, 2013, 05:17:05 PM
Quote from: What's New Wildebeest? on October 22, 2013, 05:12:29 PM

Yes, because when visiting other peoples' houses, it is totally acceptable to ask them to baby-proof their house before you arrive.

Maybe he kept his assets well protected at his own home all the time. That seems to be the more responsible policy.

Quote from: Demolition Squid on October 22, 2013, 05:11:48 PM
I was spanked, although I'd be quick to say they never overdid it. Its definitely not the spanking which has stayed with me over the years.

My dad has recently expressed some weird views on this, though. He said it is most useful for the parents; that a lot of the parents he saw who never spanked their kid would instead get very frustrated, bottle it up, and create an atmosphere of tension that would upset the kid more because they can't do anything about it. To his way of thinking, at least with a quick spank, its all over afterwards and both parent and kid can feel like the issue is resolved.

I'm not sure I agree, but I don't have kids and have no plans to change that any time soon, if at all. I do not feel in any way qualified to tell anyone else how to do it.

I think he's wrong too, but it does sugest an interesting idea: that just because you don't spank your kid, doesn't mean you are a great parent. You have to look out for other forms of emotional abuse too.
The article linked in the OP mentioned that yelling, which many people use instead of spanking, is also ineffective.

AFK

I agree, emotional abuse or threats can be just as ineffective or damaging,  Parenting is a marathon, not a sprint. Actually, it's more like marathons, one after another into infinity.  Consistency and persistence are the keys.

Kai

Quote from: What's New Wildebeest? on October 22, 2013, 06:34:58 PM
I agree, emotional abuse or threats can be just as ineffective or damaging,  Parenting is a marathon, not a sprint. Actually, it's more like marathons, one after another into infinity.  Consistency and persistence are the keys.

Thank you Dr. Spock.  :lol: I noticed you haven't left yet. Please do so.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Ben Shapiro

Anna Mae Bollocks

My kids pulled outlet covers right out, ten minutes after I put them in.  :lol: They never stuck forks in the outlets, but the covers were an ATTRACTION.

Quote from: What's New Wildebeest? on October 22, 2013, 05:01:20 PM

You don't do it when you're mad, stupid. Reacting from anger with kids never works.

Totally fucking pissed = cool off before dealing with kids.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

RWHN: Here to inform the other parents they're doing it wrong.  :lulz: