News:

PD.com: Like a fraternity of drunken clowns, hopped up on goofballs, beating one-another to a bloody pulp with bricks; the maniacal laughter increases exponentially as someone runs off to get a cinder-block.

Main Menu

Roger's Unlimited Holiness™ Thread...Now With 10% More Shut Up

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, October 22, 2013, 05:04:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

I hear, all the time, "evidence"-based arguments from both the "religious" side and the atheist side.  Both are, of course, completely wrong about everything ever.

If you are a Christian, you are doctrinally FORBIDDEN to try to prove God's existence.  The New Testament demands faith as the ONLY qualification for salvation.  Faith is defined as "belief without proof", or even "belief in the face of contradictory evidence".  Even TRYING is blasphemy, as is pointed out numerous times by Jesus and the Apostles, when asked for signs (ie, proof that God is present).  So if you WERE able to prove God's existence, then faith is IMPOSSIBLE, and you're fucking DOOMED.  Also, so is everyone else.  Well done, that man.

The other principle error made by many Christians is to deny the evidence that points at things they foolishly believe contradict their faith, when - as pointed out above - they should be THANKING the people that discover these things, as it is fuel for faith.  You see the empirical evidence, you accept it as the way the universe operates, and you believe anyway...Even if that evidence shows that God isn't necessary.  Part of being omnipotent is not being necessary, and existing anyway.

Atheists, on the other hand, make the same mistake in a different way.  They point out the structure of the universe, demonstrate that God is unnecessary, and also show the obvious fact that there isn't any evidence for God's existence.

But absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence.  If God is everywhere, you can't stand outside the situation and observe, can you?  No.  Besides, the existence or non-existence of God should be more or less irrelevant to an atheist, so why fucking bother in the first place?  God didn't do shit to fuck up your day (especially if he doesn't exist). 

His followers, on the other hand, can be a right pain in the ass.  Churches are the most destructive, corrosive force ever dreamed up by monkeys, and religions are just another uniform to put on.  Which is why as a believer, I am REQUIRED to oppose all churches that impose ANY standards or regulations on their members. 

But neither side can convince the other side of anything, because the entire topic is irrational in the first place.  It lies outside of the purview of science.  So shut up.

This sort of thing, being outside the purview of science and corruptable by organization, is best left to Holy Men™.  You can tell who we are, because we live in deserts (all the really weird shit, once you think of it, comes out of deserts, because they AREN'T HABITABLE).  We sit in the Big Empty and think Big Empty things until they start to make a horrible & contagious sort of sense.  Then we come OUT of the desert, fueled by these beliefs, and start kicking the arses right off of everyone and everything.  It's just how we roll.

"SCIENCE DOES NOT REMOVE THE TERROR OF THE GODS."
- Ivan Stang

"THE REVERSE IS ALSO TRUE."
- The Good Reverend Roger

The thing that most people, believers or atheists, don't really care to consider is that God by definition isn't just the biggest ape in the cage.  Trying to understand his/her/its motives is like an ant trying to understand American politics.  Ain't gonna happen, hence the old expression, "Man thinks and God laughs."

The main thing is that, since God is an untestable concept, is stop trying to make sense of it.  We haven't even figured out the physical universe, so why rush off trying to apply the rules we don't yet understand, to something that stands outside those rules?  Just tell the whackos on the other side to fuck off, get their collection plate out of your face (and they all have those, in one way or another), stop telling you what you can put in front of your house in December (whether that be a nativity or a black velvet Dawkins), and just plain LEAVE YOU THE FUCK ALONE.

How hard is it?  This isn't calculus.

More later.  I have a LOT more to rant about, and unfortunately my Godless heathen boss demands my attention for a few minutes.  For which he shall roast in perdition for eternity.  By which I mean he's also stuck in Tucson.

Or Kill Me.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

Reginald Ret

Very well put.
As a rabid atheist i will make bad use of this by selective and inaccurate quoting.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: :regret: on October 22, 2013, 05:16:40 PM
Very well put.
As a rabid atheist i will make bad use of this by selective and inaccurate quoting.

As a believer, I will point out that atheists killed loads of people in the USSR1, then I'll show my commitment to liberty by having all the books in the local school library burned.

1 I will conveniently forget the middle ages while doing so.  Shut up.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 22, 2013, 05:18:33 PM
Quote from: :regret: on October 22, 2013, 05:16:40 PM
Very well put.

As a believer, I will point out that atheists killed loads of people in the USSR1, then I'll show my commitment to liberty by having all the books in the local school library burned.

1 I will conveniently forget the middle ages while doing so.  Shut up.
YOU ARE BURNING BOOKS???! SOME OF THOSE MAY BE WRITTEN BY DAWKINS!!!! I WILL SLAUGHTER YOUR FAMILY AND MAKE YOU WATCH BEFORE RAPING YOU WITH THE EIFFEL TOWER!2

2 You know, just to prove my moral superiority.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Kai

If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Don Coyote

Quote from: Kai on October 22, 2013, 06:24:32 PM
cf. your statement on evidence and absence, a Yudkowsky article. http://lesswrong.com/lw/ih/

One could use that reasoning to prove that people didn't fence left handed until the modern era.

Kai

Quote from: Don Coyote on October 22, 2013, 06:29:01 PM
cf. your statement on evidence and absence, a Yudkowsky article. http://lesswrong.com/lw/ih/

One could use that reasoning to prove that people didn't fence left handed until the modern era.

Proof is for mathematicians. Bayesians update probabilities.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Q. G. Pennyworth

LMNO

Quote from: Kai on October 22, 2013, 06:32:32 PM

BAM!

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Kai on October 22, 2013, 06:32:32 PM

:lol:

I love that.  Consider it stolen.

Ben Shapiro

The Good Reverend Roger

But it wasn't really the point.  The point is, you can't really make a factual statement about the subject, because the subject isn't testable.  Yes, I know I just made not one but two factual statements, but I'm a venerable Holy Man™, so shut up.

The point I'm trying to make is shut up, by which I mean, if someone's belief, or disbelief as the case may be, does not interfere with your life in a direct fashion, then shut up.  If everyone followed this advice, the world would be what it is supposed to be.

And if they CAN'T follow this advice and insist on insisting, then you have the moral authority - no, the moral obligation - to use the 3 field rotation system, the vassal/liege system, and the manorial accounting method on them.  In short, thou shalt get all medieval upon their posteriors.

Thus sayeth the Dark God of the Desert.

LMNO

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 22, 2013, 07:06:04 PM
But it wasn't really the point.  The point is, you can't really make a factual statement about the subject, because the subject isn't testable.  Yes, I know I just made not one but two factual statements, but I'm a venerable Holy Man™, so shut up.

The point I'm trying to make is shut up, by which I mean, if someone's belief, or disbelief as the case may be, does not interfere with your life in a direct fashion, then shut up.  If everyone followed this advice, the world would be what it is supposed to be.

And if they CAN'T follow this advice and insist on insisting, then you have the moral authority - no, the moral obligation - to use the 3 field rotation system, the vassal/liege system, and the manorial accounting method on them.  In short, thou shalt get all medieval upon their posteriors.

Thus sayeth the Dark God of the Desert.

Agreed.  But sometimes very hard for me to put it into practice.