News:

PD.com: our ability to recall your stupidity makes elephants look like Alzheimer's patients.

Main Menu

Atheists and White Supremacists

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, October 23, 2013, 04:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

...basically at the heart of it, they're the same thing. Insecure people looking for a group to belong to that makes them feel superior to another group through no doing of their own.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 23, 2013, 04:56:21 PM
...basically at the heart of it, they're the same thing. Insecure people looking for a group to belong to that makes them feel superior to another group through no doing of their own.

My principle problem with atheists is that you can't discuss anything concerning their passion with them, because they have a stock set of responses and no matter what you're trying to say, those are the only responses you get.

So I compare them more to internet political board habituees.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

=

Lord Cataplanga

Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 23, 2013, 04:53:46 PM
Quote from: Cain on October 23, 2013, 10:00:30 AM
Atheists did a series of memes along the lines of "this is what Christians actually believe", with nonsensical Bible quotes.

Christians responded by posting swastikas and picturs of genocide and satan with "this is what atheists actually believe" on them.

Atheists and surrealists retaliated with nonsensical pictures with "this is what atheists actually believe" on them, to mock Christians.

More of why I don't much like atheists and refuse to call myself one. They're all backlash and no substance; monkeys out to find an enemy, and not much more.

"Let's poke at Christians! Poke poke poke

EEK EEK OOOK OOK THEY RESPONDED DO IT MORE!"

Well played, Nigel.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on October 23, 2013, 05:01:49 PM
Uh excuse me, I'm an atheist.

So why don't you dial back that overly broad brush you're paint with there for just a minute.

I had no idea.  You don't seem berserk enough to be an atheist.

:pokewithstick:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Demolition Squid

I'm also an atheist. I can't force belief. In my heart, I just don't find the concept of God plausible, even if intellectually I can accept that agnosticism is a more rational viewpoint.

Just like most christians aren't Westborough and most Muslims aren't the Taliban, most atheists aren't Dawkins. I certainly don't feel the need to bring religion or the lack thereof into my social life.

So yeah. Please to not be spreading the net quite so wide, guys.
Vast and Roaring Nipplebeast from the Dawn of Soho

Cain

-

AFK

Quote from: Cain on October 23, 2013, 05:01:49 PM
Uh excuse me, I'm an atheist.

So why don't you dial back that overly broad brush you're paint with there for just a minute.

THIS
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Don Coyote

I'm also an atheist.  thanks for including me with white supremacists for that reason.

Faust

Atheism is a very different kettle of fish to the atheist community.

I'm an atheist but I'd rather call myself a Discordian than be confused with one of these:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=614

But I've started getting the sneaking suspicion from the people who put me off it that they are not atheist really, they are anti-Christian. If you try them on any other religion and they babble like idiots about how the bible is wrong.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Demolition Squid

And if people had said 'internet atheists' or something similar it would probably not have pissed people off.

Instead, sweeping generalizations because fuck you that's why.
Vast and Roaring Nipplebeast from the Dawn of Soho

Q. G. Pennyworth

It's easy to make fun of dickbag atheists, but the thing is people shouldn't be de facto barred from political office for not believing in something, they shouldn't feel like they have to lie about themselves to be members of society. Without people being all loud and obnoxious about it, people could keep ignoring the fact that atheists exist, and that for some insane reason our society still shits on them.

There's a discussion worth having about atheists that exist solely to poke at Christians, but it's a conversation similar to the "why do some Trans people feel the need to spew cishet hate instead of accepting allies in their fight?" Not "EVERYONE WHO IS A PART OF THIS MARGINALIZED GROUP IS AN ASSHOLE BECAUSE GUILT BY ASSOCIATION."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Question for you: Do you identify as an "Atheist" or do you merely hold an atheistic position regarding the existence of God? Because I would argue that "an Atheist" is a different animal from an atheist, in much the same way that a white person is a different animal from a White Supremacist.

The current direction of the Atheist Movement, as a group of people who identify as Atheist, is a mindset that I can only describe as Atheist Supremacy.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Faust on October 23, 2013, 05:30:58 PM
Atheism is a very different kettle of fish to the atheist community.

I'm an atheist but I'd rather call myself a Discordian than be confused with one of these:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=614

But I've started getting the sneaking suspicion from the people who put me off it that they are not atheist really, they are anti-Christian. If you try them on any other religion and they babble like idiots about how the bible is wrong.

I suspect you are spot-on with that. They're using the term Atheist but in reality they have a specifically anti-Christian agenda and are hijacking the term Atheist in order to further it.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 23, 2013, 05:36:37 PM
Question for you: Do you identify as an "Atheist" or do you merely hold an atheistic position regarding the existence of God? Because I would argue that "an Atheist" is a different animal from an atheist, in much the same way that a white person is a different animal from a White Supremacist.

The current direction of the Atheist Movement, as a group of people who identify as Atheist, is a mindset that I can only describe as Atheist Supremacy.

well it's kind of hard to tell if you were talking about Atheists or atheists based on the title and op. Unlike when talking about a large and dominant group which is noted for something, which has the tacit understanding that if the shoe doesn't fit don't wear it,  atheists aren't a large or dominant group primarily made of assholes.