News:

Nothing gets wasted around here

Main Menu

Atheists and White Supremacists

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, October 23, 2013, 04:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faust

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 25, 2013, 06:46:40 PM
If I speak, I fear somone will attack me.

Yeah, I feel this a lot of the time. Think I'm getting better at it.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

The Good Reverend Roger

This thread wasn't groundbreaking in the FRONT of our brains.  But it must have been groundbreaking waaaaay the fuck in the back, where the monkeys live, or it wouldn't have gotten any responses, let alone WWIII.

People get that upset when you piss on their ideological turf, the only PROOF of which I need offer is MY response to P3NT's comments, and then MY response to most of the angry people not having been angry about what I was angry about as well.

My ideological turf is urine-soaked.  I can go get better turf, or I can roll around in the urine while howling like a spider monkey.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Golden Applesauce

Quote from: Mrs. Nigelson on October 25, 2013, 04:50:12 PM
Quote from: Demolition Squid on October 25, 2013, 04:44:38 PM

I still don't think what Nigel posted was cool.

Why was it not cool?

Was it because it made an unfavorable comparison between something you like and something you don't like?

Was it because you thought that I was literally saying that Atheists are exactly the same in every way as White Supremacists?

Was it because people couldn't unjerk their knees enough to go "Huh, that's a weird comparison, I wonder why she would say that?"

Was it because there is a really uncomfortable kernel of truth in it, and that's what has people so fucking pissed off that they can't even think?

It was because when people disagreed with you, you said their disagreement was knee-jerk because they were insecure. Then just in case people didn't take it personally, you explicitly said that it was meant to be personal. Then when people did take it personally, you made fun of them for having their "fee-fees" hurt, after Roger and ECH had picked that statement apart as being offensive and dehumanizing.

It reminds me a lot of the atheists who say that religion is nothing more than a coping mechanism for insecurity, and that religion is one big security blanket for manchildren.

I'm not really sure what you were expecting? Provoking a reaction and thought provoking are usually opposites, and you were clearly aiming for the former.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Golden Applesauce on October 25, 2013, 07:16:42 PM
I'm not really sure what you were expecting? Provoking a reaction and thought provoking are usually opposites, and you were clearly aiming for the former.

Relevant:

http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php/topic,35654.msg1307733.html#msg1307733

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Reeducation

This was a very stupid thread.  :sad:

You all suck.

I am very calm

The Good Reverend Roger

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 25, 2013, 05:27:21 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 25, 2013, 05:20:39 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 25, 2013, 05:19:13 PM
Is there a reason you chose white supremacy over other hateful uniforms people wear, like Westboro Baptists, or Red Sox Nation?  I have a feeling the board reaction would have been much different.

Because the comparison heard was Racisim, not wrapping ones self in a uniform and creating the Other.

Isn't that one definition of racism? 

Yes. No arguing that.

Maybe I shouldn't keep teasing meaning from the OP. We now clearly know what Nigel said, meant, and why. The OP is over. I should probably let it go.

I dunno. The point was to make people uncomfortable, with the aim of making them critically examine their assumptions and attitudes. It seems like I succeeded in doing that for some people, and only made it partway with others.

It's an approach that's worked really well for me in the past, but everybody falls flat sometimes, I guess.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Mrs. Nigelson on October 25, 2013, 09:46:27 PM
Is there a reason you chose white supremacy over other hateful uniforms people wear, like Westboro Baptists, or Red Sox Nation?  I have a feeling the board reaction would have been much different.

Because the comparison heard was Racisim, not wrapping ones self in a uniform and creating the Other.

Yes. No arguing that.

Maybe I shouldn't keep teasing meaning from the OP. We now clearly know what Nigel said, meant, and why. The OP is over. I should probably let it go.

I dunno. The point was to make people uncomfortable, with the aim of making them critically examine their assumptions and attitudes. It seems like I succeeded in doing that for some people, and only made it partway with others.

It's an approach that's worked really well for me in the past, but everybody falls flat sometimes, I guess.

I don't think this one fell flat.  I just think it's not a one size fits all approach.  Just like every other approach.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Hoopla on October 25, 2013, 05:40:10 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 25, 2013, 05:18:29 PM
Wait just a second.

The Discordian knows that if there is ONE THING, even ONE tiny THING which another person can say in words or write down or draw in a picture which can cause said Discordian to have some kind of  hissyfit "how DARE you" reaction, that is a handle attached directly to the brain, by which The Machine™ can pick up that Discordian and walk him/her around like a funny little doll...Just the way it does its other cogs.  It is the duty of the Discordian to purge him or herself of such bad signal.  "Have just a little discretion" is The Machine's way of saying "I'll just stick it in A LITTLE bit."

As the Subgenii say, "FUCK EM IF THEY CAN'T TAKE A JOKE."

Now, lots of people got pissed off in this thread.  I know I did.  And that is HOW you purge that bad signal.  Get pissed, bounce off the walls until that shit comes flying out.

But having purged it, what then?  Waste all that effort by WALKING AWAY, with a BIG SORE ASS?

I don't know what to call that, but it's not MY Discordia­™.

This. This this, fucking THIS.

Yes, I was angry when the thread started out, but eventually I started questioning why exactly I was so angry... Someone once told me that if you get angry in an argument it's because in your gut you know you are talking bullshit. That thought started to needle me, and when I dug down I found some things I didn't like about myself very much.  I now think it was all for the better. For me, anyway.

To be honest, I'm not certain i would have done that searching of my soul if Nigel hadn't worded it the way she did.

Hot damn Hoopla, I really, REALLY fucking appreciate you saying that. A LOT. Thank you.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 25, 2013, 09:47:28 PM
Quote from: Mrs. Nigelson on October 25, 2013, 09:46:27 PM

Yes. No arguing that.

I don't think this one fell flat.  I just think it's not a one size fits all approach.  Just like every other approach.

Yeah, that's true. I can't help but hope it broke the seal, at least.

Nephew Twiddleton

Alright, so, I took a step away for the day. I read a bit because well, Friday at work is harder to get through. So I'll say my peace on one thing.

I really don't like what went down with Coyote. I don't like that Cain basically erased himself, but you know, I can't be sure what exactly was going through his head since even if he did post more than once in this thread I wouldn't know what he said because he got rid of everything, so I can't really form an opinion on it.

I understand completely why Coyote was pissed, just as all the other atheists here did, even though I was on the other side of the thing, as it were. ANd it has nothing, absolutely nothing with him being insecure about being an atheist. I don't believe that for one minute. If he were he'd be mocking me mercilessly in my spirituality thread. I've seen him give the business to atheists who WERE being insecure and butthurt about it. And I don't like that sexism was implied either. It's not like the man is some noob spouting off like a moron, or someone who's been here for ages as the village idiot. He's a good, smart guy, and certainly not one hung up on something he doesn't even really give much if any thought to.

I texted him a bit today to make sure he was ok, because, you know, he's been in a shitty mood and has suffered the physical symptoms that come along with being in a shitty mood and probably having PTSD for some time now. Now that he's decided to step away from PD for a while, he's actually feeling better, which makes me happy. So, yeah. If anything about this thread specifically enraged him that much it was probably just because it was a trigger, and it's best not to make assumptions about what's really bothering him or ascribing insecurities he doesn't actually have as an explanation.

So yeah, I hope it doesn't take him too long to want to come back here.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

hooplala

For what it's worth I still don't think "insecure" is accurate, nor appropriate, but in mind I am willing to entertain the idea that Nigel used that term specifically to get a reaction, and didn't really mean it. Which doesn't bother me, because that method is the heart of The Sacred Bull.

If she DID mean it that way, well I suppose we disagree on that point. No big whoop. I disagree with lost people.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Hoopla on October 26, 2013, 01:13:50 AM
For what it's worth I still don't think "insecure" is accurate, nor appropriate, but in mind I am willing to entertain the idea that Nigel used that term specifically to get a reaction, and didn't really mean it. Which doesn't bother me, because that method is the heart of The Sacred Bull.

If she DID mean it that way, well I suppose we disagree on that point. No big whoop. I disagree with lost people.

This typo is amazing and I want to steal it.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Hoopla on October 26, 2013, 01:13:50 AM

That's fair, and you know, some good came out of the thread if you recognized something in yourself.

It still bugs me a bit though. Coyote's my friend, like.

Nephew Twiddleton

Also, someone help a nephew out and show him where RWHN bowed out because I missed that completely.