News:

It is our goal to harrass and harangue you ever further toward our own incoherent brand of horse-laugh radicalism.

Main Menu

Unified Vidya Games thread

Started by Cain, November 21, 2013, 05:10:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

I picked that up in the Steam sale, but still have yet to play it :(

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Cain on June 18, 2015, 07:28:40 AM
I picked that up in the Steam sale, but still have yet to play it :(
The combat is great, the tactical element in battles is damn good though some mods really help the UI.
Other that that it can be a bit slow though.

You'll love the political elements, kingdoms with lords, each has relatives that may or may not be lords and ladies in the same kingdom, each has a different opinion of their king. Several lords are sexist as fuck and the easiest way to gain fame is to play as a woman and challenge every sexist to combat and beating them up. Soon they will all fear you enough to stop insulting you. The loyalties are complex and constantly changing.

Or you could go the capitalist route stay neutral and just trade and produce until you own factories in every city.

I usually start out playing as a gladiator, the money isn't that great but it makes you very good at fighting and winning tournaments can make you extremely rich. Also, gladiators don't need armies meaning you move very fast over the map and can avoid almost every fight. not having armies also keeps your overhead low. It could be worth it to get a small amount of mounted friends as bodyguards. Fighting against an army on your own is practically impossible on easy settings, let alone on realistic/fun settings.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Junkenstein

There's been a sequel due for warband for a while.

I've got good money on it being pretty fucking good. Excellent, once the modders have been playing for a couple of months. Spectacular if someone pulls together another Game of thrones mod. The Clash of Kings mod for warband was fucking awesome.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Cain

I've been busy testing the latest iteration of Morrowloot.  Since this basically turns Skyrim into an extremely dangerous scavenger hunt, it's a lot of testing.

On the plus side, it is fairly fun.  Scored an ebony sword at level 17, which is pretty damn good, even if the fight to get it was really scary :(  (King Olaf One-Eye as a Draugr Deathlord when you're level 17 is no bueno...and with the ebony weapon buff, also means a OHK for him against my character).

Still looking for decent armour, however.  I did manage to kill the Old Orc (who had an ebony battleaxe and full orcish armour) but I'm using light armour, so that doesn't work for me.  Might have to go find a Thalmor patrol...Thieves Guild armour just isn't cutting it.

All in all it seems good so far.  And if you use the suggested mods on the page, it actually does feel quite a bit like Requiem.  You never have enough cash and everything's expensive and enemies are scary and higher level than you and at low levels your best option is pretty much hit and run or abuse poor pathfinding.  On the plus side, when you get decent stuff...it's very decent indeed.  Ebony sword wrecks even without smithing, and if you use Improved Artifacts, guild quest items are actually properly powerful and unique.  Oh, and levelling speed is halved, which alongside the smithing nerf makes power levelling much more difficult.  I'm also using Frostfall, Realistic Room Rental and iNeed, so I have additional money sinks too, but they're probably not necessary if you use Trade and Barter for an appropriately harsh economy (I'm using that too, but I have thievery and Become a Bard for living expenses).

Reginald Ret

You like Morrowind?
Here, have a M&B: W mod: http://www.moddb.com/mods/morrowind-house-wars
Haven't tried it yet, good reviews though.

The mod I'm playing: http://www.moddb.com/mods/brytenwalda
Ridiculously hard.
A lot of factions.
Is fun.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Cain

Everyone likes Morrowind.

Though I'll admit I'm waiting for Skywind to be released, because it has dated quite badly in terms of playability and UI.

Morrowloot basically delevels loot like Morrowind, so instead of upon getting to level 45 everyone has ebony weapons and you're finding daedric loot in every boss chest, items are handplaced into the world space regardless of level.  So bandits will only rarely carry anything above steel, and nothing above orcish/scale (for bandit bosses).  Elven and dwarven weapons and armour are only available on Thalmor patrols or in dwemer ruins, as well as on occasional bandit chiefs or in boss chests.  Glass and Ebony items are all handplaced in the world and will only be found on major faction leaders or bosses.  Orcs have Orcish armour.  Dunmer wear Chitin, Bonemold or Glass.  Daedric items are truly legendary, with only a single set existing in game, unless you craft it yourself (and additional restrictions are placed on that.  Namely, night time, Skyforge and completion of a certain quest).  Basically, if you want better tier material, you're going to have to go into (logically) dangerous places and fight things for it.

This iteration of Morrowloot is a bit better than previous ones, because it also delevels the encounter zones, meaning you can face very tough enemies early on.  It also nerfs smithing improvements and gives additional damage to higher tier weapons, so you wont feel gimped when you find an ebony blade but can improve a steel weapon to do the same damage.  Armour is similarly improved.  Potions cannot be spammed, each one overwrites the effect of the previous one, and they have an effect over time.   And this mod was made with compatibility in mind...it's easy to ruin Morrowloot's sense of balance by installing something like Immersive Weapons or Armour which will reintroduce levelled loot.

Oh and it reintroduces some specific items from earlier games.  So far I've only found the Sanguine Amulet of Smithing, but the entire Sanguine set from Morrowind is around...somewhere.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Cain on July 06, 2015, 02:58:53 PM
Everyone likes Morrowind.

Though I'll admit I'm waiting for Skywind to be released, because it has dated quite badly in terms of playability and UI.

Morrowloot basically delevels loot like Morrowind, so instead of upon getting to level 45 everyone has ebony weapons and you're finding daedric loot in every boss chest, items are handplaced into the world space regardless of level.  So bandits will only rarely carry anything above steel, and nothing above orcish/scale (for bandit bosses).  Elven and dwarven weapons and armour are only available on Thalmor patrols or in dwemer ruins, as well as on occasional bandit chiefs or in boss chests.  Glass and Ebony items are all handplaced in the world and will only be found on major faction leaders or bosses.  Orcs have Orcish armour.  Dunmer wear Chitin, Bonemold or Glass.  Daedric items are truly legendary, with only a single set existing in game, unless you craft it yourself (and additional restrictions are placed on that.  Namely, night time, Skyforge and completion of a certain quest).  Basically, if you want better tier material, you're going to have to go into (logically) dangerous places and fight things for it.

This iteration of Morrowloot is a bit better than previous ones, because it also delevels the encounter zones, meaning you can face very tough enemies early on.  It also nerfs smithing improvements and gives additional damage to higher tier weapons, so you wont feel gimped when you find an ebony blade but can improve a steel weapon to do the same damage.  Armour is similarly improved.  Potions cannot be spammed, each one overwrites the effect of the previous one, and they have an effect over time.   And this mod was made with compatibility in mind...it's easy to ruin Morrowloot's sense of balance by installing something like Immersive Weapons or Armour which will reintroduce levelled loot.

Oh and it reintroduces some specific items from earlier games.  So far I've only found the Sanguine Amulet of Smithing, but the entire Sanguine set from Morrowind is around...somewhere.
That sounds very good, I might have to start playing again.
It would make challenging areas actually feel challenging, so that alone would make me happy. For me that is essential for immersion.

Cain

Said mod is fully compatible with Duel, Combat Evolved, Deadly Dragons, Dragon Combat Overhaul, Skyrim Immersive Creatures and Revenge of the Enemies (patchs included in download, check the folder).  Along with Frostfall and iNeed there is a very significant element of danger.

I also used Disparity so my character is somewhat weaker, in some aspects, than they would otherwise be (Disparity gives bonuses for your class and race specializations...but everything else is set to 5, skill wise.  Lower carrying weight and starting stats too)

Junkenstein

Pillars of Eternity getting an expansion soon with another to come later.

Hopefully this brings further plot developments. Anyone else bothered with it yet?
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Demolition Squid

I enjoyed it for two-three weeks, barely managed to scratch the surface, and haven't been back to finish it off yet.

I feel such shame  :sad:
Vast and Roaring Nipplebeast from the Dawn of Soho

Junkenstein

You should. Pretty much all the plot is shoved into the last 2/3'rds so it's quite a different game once you hit a certain point.

That said, if there isn't follow up plot and consequences in the expansion it'll be a little disappointing.

Cain

Yeah I need to get back on with it myself.

Still bumming around the first 3rd of the game, it seems.

Cain

So I also totally missed that Dishonored 2 is in production.  Emily Kaldwin as protagonist isn't surprising, but I do approve.  Female no-choice protagonist is something I can get behind, given how many games will only offer a female character if it's optional (or just never give the option in the first place).

Faust

I'm actually more interested in her then Corvo. I hope she will have dialogue. I found it oddly off putting and kind of killed my immersion that corvo was mute.

I really liked dishonoured but I didn't think the game shone as one of the best games I had played until I played the DLC packs. Michael Maddson is a great voice actor and Daud did a lot to build the world for me.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Cain

Yeah, totally.  The core game was a pretty competent stealth/roguelike game...far more so than other popular alternatives that put out a game every year and have pretty much abandoned the idea of stealth altogether, but Maddson as Daud was really very good, and his interaction with the seedier side of Dunwall definitely helped the setting come to life.

New setting could be interesting, too.  We don't know much about Karnaca, except that it's in the south of the Empire. I honestly thought they might be taking it to Tyvia, for all it was talked about in the first game.