News:

PD.com forums: a disorganized echo-chamber full of concordian, Greyfaced radical left-wing nutjobs who honestly believe they can take down imaginary Nazis by distributing flyers. They are highly-suspicious of all newcomers and hostile to almost everyone, including themselves. The only thing they don't take seriously is Discordianism.

Main Menu

Unified Vidya Games thread

Started by Cain, November 21, 2013, 05:10:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freeky

Cain

I can confirm from extensive personal testing it works, even on other mods.  When in doubt, move the main insectsbegone.esp to the bottom of the load order, and it will overwrite all changes.

For example: at the moment, I'm beta-testing Perkus Maximus, a mod which overhauls perks, combat, magic, weapons and (to an extent) immersion.  Insects Begone works with that, because PM doesn't touch frostbite spiders at all.  With that testing, I'm also using Arissa - The Wandering Rogue.  Arissa's personal quest involves a cave with a lot of frosbite spiders (as noted on the mod page), including a giant frostbite spiders.  Insects Begone works with that.  I've also used Insects Begone with Interesting NPCs.

Also worth noting: Insects Begone gets rid of Nimhe in Markarth and Babette's pet, as both are created from the base frostbite spider model.

Basically, the only way it can fail is if the spider is not a frostbite spider as the game recognises it (like in Requiem, as they come in several different varieties, or SIC with its "tundra spider" variants) or because the load order is wrong.  Those are the only circumstances under which it does not work.

Freeky

Cain

No problem.

Requiem 1.8.1.1 is now setup on my desktop.  I played about 4 hours last night, with no CTDs or dramatic oddities...well, except the Sabre Cat who didn't viciously murder me, but instead padded off into the tundra.  But then, I think their AI makes them ambush predators, and by walking backwards while keeping it in direct view, I may have dissuaded it from attacking.

If that didn't work, I was going to shield bash the nearby wood elf to the ground and run off, leaving him to his fate.

Bandits are definitely tougher in 1.8.  I got almost one-shot by the two up the hill from Riverwood, and was brutally murdered by the skoom dealers near Whiterun's walls.  On the other hand, the guards are even tougher - two Whiterun guards managed to take down two heavily armoured bandits (as in, steel plate/orcish armour, steel weapons and potions) with bandit archer backup without breaking a sweat.  Also, the new guard armour is sweet.

I'm feeling that Hunterborn may not be the best option for my playthrough, as I'm finding it gimps poison significantly (because I can no longer gather wolf hearts so easily).  Given I'm already going to be playing the weakest class style in the game, using only the weakest magic school at the start, a school which has been further nerfed by the 1.8 changes to bandits (by increasing their magicka pool) and I'm refusing to ally with the faction who would most increase my combat viability....I probably don't need to gimp myself any further.

I mean, after she becomes a Nightingale, my character will become a badass, and pursue magical studies with some diligence.  But before that, she's just another thief treasure hunter misunderstood archaeologist.

Cain

Forgot to mention, Azirok is also back, so 1.8 patches are not far away.  I could actually start recording now, with the already existing patches....but I really want Civil War Overhaul, Immersive Patrol and Interesting NPCs working first.

I also need time to decide between Arissa and Inigo as my chosen travelling companion.  On the one hand, Inigo is hilarious.  On the other, that ebony bow....And on the one hand, Arissa is quite useful and somewhat more practically useful than Inigo (because she makes poisons and lockpicks appear out of thin air).  On the other hand, her quest involves lots of frostbite spiders.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure wolves have been nerfed in 1.8.  That, or Block I is really powerful.  My test character, a Nord ranger, was taking wolves apart quite easily, in hand-to-hand combat.  I suppose something had to be nerfed though, to compensate for the more deadly bandits.  Otherwise, you're going to have to kill a hell of a lot of mudcrabs to train your sword arm.

Cain

The joys of beta-testing:

Perkus Maximus and Sands of Time don't exactly play together perfectly.

Cain

Yeah, definitely broke PerMa:

Also, had to remove Skyrim Immersive Creatures.  A shame, but it was producing a 100% reproducible crashes at the Halted Stream Camp.  Maybe it was the combination of that location and another mod and SIC, but either way, it was annoying the shit out of me.

Freeky

Cain

I think someone was going for "Uncle Sheo Does PerMa Perks" and testing the capability of the extended UI mod.

Freeky

Faust

Quote from: Cain on September 24, 2014, 06:58:58 PM
Yeah, definitely broke PerMa:

Also, had to remove Skyrim Immersive Creatures.  A shame, but it was producing a 100% reproducible crashes at the Halted Stream Camp.  Maybe it was the combination of that location and another mod and SIC, but either way, it was annoying the shit out of me.

I see Sheogorath gets to set the description for Daedric smiting.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Cain

OK.  I've found the limits of my new machine.

Using Dawn of Riften (a great city overhaul which adds a lot of clutter and rats to Riften)

Under attack by a Master Vampire.

Followed by an attack by a Thief (which, amusingly, seems to be recognised as a bandit by OBIS and so has weapons, armour and stats from their level lists, leading to a bandit with a dwemer warhammer and iron banded armour trying to pickpocket people).

Followed by an attack by a dragon (improved by Deadly Dragons, Dragon Combat Overhaul).

Followed by an attack by 5 dragons (the dragon called for reinforcements).

On a system with close to 100 mods, including HD textures for dragons, static mesh improvements, weapon look improvements and changes to weapon stats and the combat system:

Will cause the frame rate to drop to very, very low levels, and possibly crash it.  But it is a glorious clusterfuck in the meantime.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Cain on September 27, 2014, 09:04:28 AM
OK.  I've found the limits of my new machine.

Using Dawn of Riften (a great city overhaul which adds a lot of clutter and rats to Riften)

Under attack by a Master Vampire.

Followed by an attack by a Thief (which, amusingly, seems to be recognised as a bandit by OBIS and so has weapons, armour and stats from their level lists, leading to a bandit with a dwemer warhammer and iron banded armour trying to pickpocket people).

Followed by an attack by a dragon (improved by Deadly Dragons, Dragon Combat Overhaul).

Followed by an attack by 5 dragons (the dragon called for reinforcements).

On a system with close to 100 mods, including HD textures for dragons, static mesh improvements, weapon look improvements and changes to weapon stats and the combat system:

Will cause the frame rate to drop to very, very low levels, and possibly crash it.  But it is a glorious clusterfuck in the meantime.
:lol:
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Cain

Freeky, I've been experimenting and I think Realistic Lighting Overhaul may be better than ELFX on a lower end machine like yours.  The file size itself is smaller, and I've been using it with my SkyRe install with no discernible FPS loss (SkyRe isn't super script intensive, but it can run a lower end machine's frame rate and cell loading times down considerably).

But if ELFX is running fine on your machine then there is no need to make changes.  ELFX gives more of a "fantasy" feel with the lighting, IMO, whereas RLO is more...well, realistic.  So, personal aesthetic preferences, essentially.

Freeky

Which one is ELFX?  I didn't see anything in your initial list for me with that acronym.  Anything to make the game look better without dropping the frame rate even more is a bonus, so I'll definitely check it out.

Quick question, am I correct in thinking that you can't download NMM onto a Windows 8 machine?  I keep getting error messages downloading the program you need (which doesn't have a Windows 8 version, at least not obviously) to download NMM, but that may just be a horrible virus thing.