News:

If you really want to hurt your parents, and you don't have the nerve to be a homosexual, the least you can do is go into the arts. But do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites, standing for absolutely nothing. All they do is show you've been to college.

Main Menu

The Biology Thread

Started by Nephew Twiddleton, November 23, 2013, 03:08:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

Side note-

My observations of Drosophila traits matched up with my predictions: F2 generation would demonstrate equal distribution of eye color between both genders. There's a bit of a question if white eyed males have a mate selection advantage, though. But that's beyond what is expected of me.

I mentioned in brief in Open Bar an idea that I had- I did a preliminary look and it seems like novel research, and I'll give away that it entails a very tedious look at genomes. Not like I'm not used to tedious work anyway. But if it pans out, well, it's not an insignificant question. I'm going to do further research while I'm undergrad so that I either get a head start, or waste no time.

I am also, at this point, pretty sure that I want to either go into Biotech, or become a Microbiologist. Either way, it's germs, baby, germs!
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Nephew Twiddleton

Also, my guest died of natural causes (presumably) after a week. Which is also interesting, and leads me to think that it was a lonely survivor, especially because of my lack of insect bites.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Twid, I don't know where you are in physics but you might enjoy this. http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~kovar/hall.html
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

There is also, of course, this classic paper: http://isotropic.org/papers/chicken.pdf

And its accompanying powerpoint: ftp.kaist.ac.kr/chicken/chicken.ppt‎
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

My extent of physics is entirely in one astronomy class and I take Gen Physics I in fall, but, I'mma take a leap off this here diving board.

Nephew Twiddleton

(Also, biologist is a compromise. I'd be an astrophysicist if it didn't involve me, literally, moving out to Tucson. I can be a well employed biologist in Boston.)

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Nigel on April 22, 2014, 06:49:06 AM
Twid, I don't know where you are in physics but you might enjoy this. http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~kovar/hall.html

:lulz:

I've read it before. Still bloody brilliant.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Nigel on April 22, 2014, 06:52:07 AM
There is also, of course, this classic paper: http://isotropic.org/papers/chicken.pdf

And its accompanying powerpoint: ftp.kaist.ac.kr/chicken/chicken.ppt‎

Oh man. I can point out the flaws in this one.

For one thing it doesn't take into consideration the buffalo-bleu cheese affect, nor does it acknowlege the Parmigiana principle.

Nephew Twiddleton

I think I needed that. Thanks, Nigel!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I am procrastinating and dreaming about lunch instead of what I should be doing, which is preparing for today's anatomy quiz and piglet dissection.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Nigel on April 25, 2014, 06:26:19 PM
I am procrastinating and dreaming about lunch instead of what I should be doing, which is preparing for today's anatomy quiz and piglet dissection.

Christ almighty. Thankfully, I haven't had to do any dissection on anything other than Drosophila. I did dissect a fetal pig in the Intro to Biology course I took years ago for my history major. I hated it. The smell was nasty, my lab partners were no help so I had to do all the incisions (I also had like 4 lab partners, suddenly, just for that lab), you can feel that bone through the scalpel. It's just a nasty creepy thing to do.

I took an exam on the largely unicellular groups of life, both prokaryotic and eukaryotic. I've come to decide that I quite like the term Artist Formerly Known As Protist.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: (Doktor (Nephew Twiddleton (Twid)) Blight) on April 25, 2014, 06:31:45 PM

Christ almighty. Thankfully, I haven't had to do any dissection on anything other than Drosophila. I did dissect a fetal pig in the Intro to Biology course I took years ago for my history major. I hated it. The smell was nasty, my lab partners were no help so I had to do all the incisions (I also had like 4 lab partners, suddenly, just for that lab), you can feel that bone through the scalpel. It's just a nasty creepy thing to do.

I took an exam on the largely unicellular groups of life, both prokaryotic and eukaryotic. I've come to decide that I quite like the term Artist Formerly Known As Protist.

We did single-celled organisms and plant reproduction last term, an overview of plant anatomy this term, and now we're diving headlong into an overview of animal anatomy and then skimming the basics of ecology for the rest of the term.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Nigel on April 25, 2014, 06:39:42 PM
Quote from: (Doktor (Nephew Twiddleton (Twid)) Blight) on April 25, 2014, 06:31:45 PM

We did single-celled organisms and plant reproduction last term, an overview of plant anatomy this term, and now we're diving headlong into an overview of animal anatomy and then skimming the basics of ecology for the rest of the term.

Before we did the exam we went over plants. I thought about you, actually, because I was thought, "Fuck plants!" and kinda giggled to myself. It is pretty fascinating though, about plant diversity. Ginko is both a species and the only example of its phylum. Flowering plants make up, percentage wise, all the fucking plants. Pine trees. Cool. Conifers are made up of 600 species. Flowering plants, 250,000 species. What the shit.....

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: (Doktor (Nephew Twiddleton (Twid)) Blight) on April 25, 2014, 06:46:38 PM
Quote from: Nigel on April 25, 2014, 06:39:42 PM

Before we did the exam we went over plants. I thought about you, actually, because I was thought, "Fuck plants!" and kinda giggled to myself. It is pretty fascinating though, about plant diversity. Ginko is both a species and the only example of its phylum. Flowering plants make up, percentage wise, all the fucking plants. Pine trees. Cool. Conifers are made up of 600 species. Flowering plants, 250,000 species. What the shit.....

It's pretty crazy, isn't it? We did plant phylogeny last term and I thought I was going to die, but you know, the upshot is that now I know a bunch of shit that I can think about when I walk around outside.