News:

PD.com: children are filled with joy, adults are filled with dread and local government is filled with stupid

Main Menu

Re: Open Bar: RECOMMENDABLE

Started by Nephew Twiddleton, December 31, 2013, 04:38:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

It's kind of bumming me out that, in a college with over 50% black enrollment, there is literally not even one other black person in either chemistry or biology at my class level. I looked at the other classes, just to be sure.
:sad:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Salty

The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

The Good Reverend Roger

Just met some hippie globetrotter midlife Crisis Eartha clone.

She has been to the North coast of Spain.  Not kidding.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Anna Mae Bollocks

There's a northern part that juts out away from France. It's coastline.
But my money is still on cray-cray.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Cain

The north coast of Spain is actually pretty nice.  Beautiful views over the Bay of Biscay, accessible mountains and virtually untouched ancient castles.

Kill her.  The secret cannot get out.  It's the only place in Spain I can tolerate the temperature and not run into fucking English tourists everywhere.  Kill her now.

LMNO

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Alty on January 11, 2014, 01:55:37 AM
Why do you suppose that is?

I think there are a lot of ingrained cultural messages that basically tell black people that they aren't cut out to be scientists. They aren't encouraged in math, there are few visible black representations in math and science, and at the community college level we are mostly talking about poor black kids from poor black schools, so they were severely shortchanged at the elementary school level. My guess is that the #1 reason I don't see black faces in my classes is because they are intimidated by the math required to go on to the "serious" chemistry and biology courses. They feel like they just can't do it... even though, like every other class they may take, it is simply a matter of taking the classes that lead up to it. If you can pass math 95, you can pass 111, and then 112, and then 253/254. But math is mystified, and black students are given the message at the elementary level that they aren't up for it. Teachers expect less of black students.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on January 11, 2014, 02:17:44 PM
I can't remember which thread it was that we were talking about hats, but here's this:
http://goodmenproject.com/featured-content/brand-thats-not-a-fedora-and-stop-wearing-it/

Those are TOTALLY the hats east-coast douchebags wear. They are totally not a thing here and I wish people would stop talking about them. Someone mentioned them last night and I was like, listen, have you EVER actually seen a dude wearing a Trilby anywhere but the Internet?

I think people are just repeating the "it's not a Fedora" meme because they saw it on the internet. NOBODY FUCKING WEARS TRILBIES HERE. NOBODY THINKS THEY'RE FEDORAS, BECAUSE NOBODY WEARS THEM. They are the domain of East Coast douchebags and bros.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Yeah, I just asked my housemates whether they have EVER IN THEIR LIVES seen a person in real life wearing a Trilby. Answers: "No", and "My grandpa in Boston".

Salty

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on January 11, 2014, 03:02:07 AM
Just met some hippie globetrotter midlife Crisis Eartha clone.

She has been to the North coast of Spain.  Not kidding.

As long as it wasn't the North coast of India.  :lulz:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Salty

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on January 11, 2014, 07:10:51 PM
Quote from: Alty on January 11, 2014, 06:52:00 PM
Pretty sure I own both.

:lulz:

Is the Trilby plaid?

No, it is black with a gold flower print band and a large fake white flower.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on January 11, 2014, 02:17:44 PM
I can't remember which thread it was that we were talking about hats, but here's this:
http://goodmenproject.com/featured-content/brand-thats-not-a-fedora-and-stop-wearing-it/

QuoteA trilby on a big man looks like the reservoir tip on a condom.
:lulz: :lulz: :lulz:
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIRâ„¢
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.