News:

We can't help you...in fact, we're part of the problem.

Main Menu

Re: Open Bar: RECOMMENDABLE

Started by Nephew Twiddleton, December 31, 2013, 04:38:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

All ongoing things I may have promised may be subject to further delay, as I have interviews coming up and another essay due in a few weeks. 

I mean, I should get around to some of them this weekend, but my time is becoming increasingly less free for the short term.

Suu

Quote from: Tiddleywomp Cockletit on January 22, 2014, 05:39:39 AM
Congrats, Suu!

In other news, who was the asshat that planted this? http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2542048/Parents-warned-alarming-Smarties-snorting-craze-kids-crush-candies-inhale-dust-nose.html
:lol:

We snorted Pixy Stix back in the 90s. It was only a matter of time until the next "big thing." Also, that's Portsmouth, RI for you. East Bay, that "island" over there where the state actually gets it's name from. Yeah. Penal Colony for the Massachusetts Bay Colony. Exiled Puritans, like Anne Hutchinson.  :kingmeh:
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Cain

I suspect the whole "snorting Smarties" thing is an urban legend anyway.

I mean, I'm sure a select number of dumbasses, after hearing "everyone" was doing it gave it a try themselves, but I hardly believe it is an "epidemic sweeping OUR schools", as the Daily Mail puts it.

Suu

Quote from: Cain on January 22, 2014, 03:18:19 PM
I suspect the whole "snorting Smarties" thing is an urban legend anyway.

I mean, I'm sure a select number of dumbasses, after hearing "everyone" was doing it gave it a try themselves, but I hardly believe it is an "epidemic sweeping OUR schools", as the Daily Mail puts it.

They were supposedly licking toads in Barrington, another East Bay town, a few years back. I wouldn't put it past them.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Cain

Yeah, but that was according to FOX News.  Did their "reporter" even go to the school?  Speak to anyone involved? 

Panics like this occur every few years.  You couldn't set your watch by them, but you probably could them as the basis for a regular calendar system.  The Age of Jenkem, the Age of Crushed Smarties, the Age of Vodka Soaked Tampons, the Age of Kids Getting Suicidal Because Their Tamagotchi Died etc etc.

The Good Reverend Roger

I put that shit right up there with butt-chuffing and vodka tampons.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Suu

Quote from: Cain on January 22, 2014, 03:38:35 PM
Yeah, but that was according to FOX News.  Did their "reporter" even go to the school?  Speak to anyone involved? 

Panics like this occur every few years.  You couldn't set your watch by them, but you probably could them as the basis for a regular calendar system.  The Age of Jenkem, the Age of Crushed Smarties, the Age of Vodka Soaked Tampons, the Age of Kids Getting Suicidal Because Their Tamagotchi Died etc etc.

THEY'RE THINKING OF THE CHILDREN. CLEARLY.

hooplala

Wouldn't snorting smarties just be an elaborate way to consume them?  Would it do much damage?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Suu

Quote from: Hoopla on January 22, 2014, 03:48:11 PM
Wouldn't snorting smarties just be an elaborate way to consume them?  Would it do much damage?

Nosebleeds, at most. And colorful boogers.

hooplala

Quote from: The Suu on January 22, 2014, 03:48:59 PM

Nosebleeds, at most. And colorful boogers.

What's not to love about either of those?

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

LMNO

If you did enough, I'd assume there's a possibility of asphyxia, as the sugar is going into the lungs rather than the stomach.

hooplala

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on January 22, 2014, 03:51:22 PM

If you did enough, I'd assume there's a possibility of asphyxia, as the sugar is going into the lungs rather than the stomach.

Oh right... science.  I forgot about what snorting did.  I'd blame it on being Monday, but I believe I am two days late for that.  Carry on...

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Junkenstein

There was apparently a trend of snorting (crushed) Polo mints here relatively recently. The idea appears to be that they know they can't get high from the mint, but the oxygen deprivation is apparently equivalent to something.

What "something" is, I don't know. Bullshit? Probably. Believable? Round here, certainly.

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Suu on January 22, 2014, 03:14:21 PM
Congrats, Suu!

In other news, who was the asshat that planted this? http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2542048/Parents-warned-alarming-Smarties-snorting-craze-kids-crush-candies-inhale-dust-nose.html

We snorted Pixy Stix back in the 90s. It was only a matter of time until the next "big thing." Also, that's Portsmouth, RI for you. East Bay, that "island" over there where the state actually gets it's name from. Yeah. Penal Colony for the Massachusetts Bay Colony. Exiled Puritans, like Anne Hutchinson.  :kingmeh:

The Pixy Stix thing, which I assume is the same as the Smarties thing since they're chemically similar, was all about talking about how it really works to get you high until you convinced one of your friends to actually try it, and then laughing and laughing because a combination of sugar and citric acid in your sinuses is one of the most painful experiences a kid that age has probably ever had. The ensuing agony, coughing, and copious mucous production is enough to prevent pretty much anyone with a functioning nervous system from trying it more than once.

In other words, these people are taking a child's prank and inflating it into a "drug epidemic". It's fucking ridiculous.  :lol:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on January 22, 2014, 04:43:31 PM
Quote from: The Suu on January 22, 2014, 03:14:21 PM
Congrats, Suu!

The Pixy Stix thing, which I assume is the same as the Smarties thing since they're chemically similar, was all about talking about how it really works to get you high until you convinced one of your friends to actually try it, and then laughing and laughing because a combination of sugar and citric acid in your sinuses is one of the most painful experiences a kid that age has probably ever had. The ensuing agony, coughing, and copious mucous production is enough to prevent pretty much anyone with a functioning nervous system from trying it more than once.

In other words, these people are taking a child's prank and inflating it into a "drug epidemic". It's fucking ridiculous.  :lol:

Don't you care about our assets?   :|
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.