News:

Testamonial:  And i have actually gone to a bar and had a bouncer try to start a fight with me on the way in. I broke his teeth out of his fucking mouth and put his face through a passenger side window of a car.

Guess thats what the Internet was build for, pussy motherfuckers taking shit in safety...

Main Menu

Re: Open Bar: RECOMMENDABLE

Started by Nephew Twiddleton, December 31, 2013, 04:38:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on January 28, 2014, 04:02:29 AM
Quote from: Vladimir Poutine ⊂(◉‿◉)つ on January 28, 2014, 04:00:15 AM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on January 28, 2014, 03:57:43 AM
Quote from: Vladimir Poutine ⊂(◉‿◉)つ on January 28, 2014, 03:56:27 AM
I still haven't managed to graduate after 6 years because I totally suck. Also art school made me hate art. I think I will graduate next spring tho finally...I hope

Hehe...Fred, I haven't graduated after 27 years.  Just so you know.

And I worry that art school will make my daughter hate art.

I would just quit now and find a job if I could but I feel obligated to finish because I took out so many loans already. I'd still have to pay them off and not have a degree to show for it.

So finish.  You're not stupid by any means, so it isn't beyond your ability.
The longer I'm in school the more stupid I feel  :lol:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Vladimir Poutine ⊂(◉‿◉)つ on January 28, 2014, 04:03:27 AM
Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on January 28, 2014, 04:01:48 AM
I still haven't managed to graduate after 6 years because I totally suck. Also art school made me hate art. I think I will graduate next spring tho finally...I hope

I would just quit now and find a job if I could but I feel obligated to finish because I took out so many loans already. I'd still have to pay them off and not have a degree to show for it.

Do you have the option of changing your degree?

One of my dear friends was an art major at Sarah Lawrence, ended up burning out/dropping out and when she took classes at PSU she took chemistry, ended up absolutely loving it and is now a chemistry PhD.

Sticking with art will get me out the quickest. I tried fashion before switching back to art. I like my illustration program at my first school but i fucked up there and had to leave.
I don't know what I would switch to I'm not good at anything.

Yeah, but do you want to get out the quickest, or try your hand at other options that you may find you love?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on January 28, 2014, 04:01:48 AM

One of my dear friends was an art major at Sarah Lawrence, ended up burning out/dropping out and when she took classes at PSU she took chemistry, ended up absolutely loving it and is now a chemistry PhD.

Sticking with art will get me out the quickest. I tried fashion before switching back to art. I like my illustration program at my first school but i fucked up there and had to leave.

Balls.  Balls, I say! 

You're a smart kid.  You just haven't figured out what you want yet.  Also, the point of college is to get good at something.  If you were already good at it, you wouldn't need college.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on January 28, 2014, 04:04:04 AM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on January 28, 2014, 04:01:34 AM
Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on January 28, 2014, 04:00:29 AM
I am interested in the art school making a person hate art conversation, because EFO is a remarkable and driven artist. However, as of age 16, she wants to get her degree in psychology, so maybe that will be a non-issue.

It's what electives are for, I suppose.  There are some classes critical for an artist, but most artists I know that make a living - or most of a living at it - do not have an art degree.

Some of my career artist friends do, some don't. It's pretty mixed. One of 'em, who has an art degree but has been making a living as a carpenter for the last 20 years, just wild-haired hisself into an art and craft graduate program and intends to teach art for the rest of his life. I think he's going to do well at it.

Yes, but you live in an area with more artists.  We have few here, but they're prolific as fuck, especially the sculptors and mural artists.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on January 28, 2014, 04:04:01 AM
From what I have observed, the barriers to graduating are, in order:

1.  A family (this is what got me).
2.  Money.
3.  Beer.

For me, it was money, ignorance, men, and having kids, in that order.

Started out with no money, and my mom withdrew support.
Due to lack of parental support I was ignorant of how to navigate the system (and at 20, the year my mom cut me off, couldn't qualify for financial aid anyway).
Got married to an ass who had no interest in me going to school.
Got divorced, and LIKE AN IDIOT, promptly remarried to another ass who had no interest in me going to school.
Had kids.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on January 28, 2014, 04:05:17 AM

Balls.  Balls, I say! 

You're a smart kid.  You just haven't figured out what you want yet.  Also, the point of college is to get good at something.  If you were already good at it, you wouldn't need college.

Another thing about college, it gives you a chance to try a lot of different things under trained tutelage.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on January 28, 2014, 04:06:35 AM
Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on January 28, 2014, 04:04:04 AM
Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on January 28, 2014, 04:00:29 AM
I am interested in the art school making a person hate art conversation, because EFO is a remarkable and driven artist. However, as of age 16, she wants to get her degree in psychology, so maybe that will be a non-issue.

It's what electives are for, I suppose.  There are some classes critical for an artist, but most artists I know that make a living - or most of a living at it - do not have an art degree.

Some of my career artist friends do, some don't. It's pretty mixed. One of 'em, who has an art degree but has been making a living as a carpenter for the last 20 years, just wild-haired hisself into an art and craft graduate program and intends to teach art for the rest of his life. I think he's going to do well at it.

Yes, but you live in an area with more artists.  We have few here, but they're prolific as fuck, especially the sculptors and mural artists.

True.

The art degree, really, seems to be a crapshoot. Two of the best artists I know have chemistry PhDs.  :lol:

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on January 28, 2014, 04:08:54 AM

2.  Money.
3.  Beer.

Due to lack of parental support I was ignorant of how to navigate the system (and at 20, the year my mom cut me off, couldn't qualify for financial aid anyway).
Got divorced, and LIKE AN IDIOT, promptly remarried to another ass who had no interest in me going to school.
Had kids.

Got stunned by a woman (yowza), and had a couple of sprogs.  Had to go get a job.

I have no regrets.  I have two kickass kids that I'm really proud of, and I've had a weird life that I wouldn't have had if I'd gone straight through school and become a salary man at 22 instead of 38.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I confess, I still resent my mom for her lack of academic support. She actively seemed to seek to hamstring me at every turn. I'll tell the whole story about my schooling and my mother, at some point.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

I didn't graduate either after being in school for 5-6 years.

I hate art schools now, but not art. In fact, I hate them so much that I refused to take the 3 remaining classes required to graduate from their crony-corporatist shit-show of a school. I'm going to cash those credits in on a worthwhile degree.

When I'm able to go back to school it's going to be in the hard sciences....possibly math. Pure fucking math. Shit where it's undeniable you've got the RIGHT answer and can fucking PROVE it. No more of this design bullshit that no one gives a shit about unless they're a rich, overeducated pisshole.

SUU WAS RIGHT, GET OUT WHILE YOU CAN, IT'S A FUCKIN SCAM!
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on January 28, 2014, 04:12:43 AM
Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on January 28, 2014, 04:08:54 AM

2.  Money.
3.  Beer.

Had kids.

Got stunned by a woman (yowza), and had a couple of sprogs.  Had to go get a job.

I have no regrets.  I have two kickass kids that I'm really proud of, and I've had a weird life that I wouldn't have had if I'd gone straight through school and become a salary man at 22 instead of 38.

For the most part, I have no regrets... I had an interesting life, and awesome kids.

However, as I did mention, I still resent my mom. And I think that resentment is useful, in that it will prevent me from ever doing to my kids what she did to me.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on January 28, 2014, 04:10:57 AM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on January 28, 2014, 04:06:35 AM

True.

The art degree, really, seems to be a crapshoot. Two of the best artists I know have chemistry PhDs.  :lol:

SEE! IT'S TRUE!!
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Net on January 28, 2014, 04:13:51 AM

When I'm able to go back to school it's going to be in the hard sciences....possibly math. Pure fucking math. Shit where it's undeniable you've got the RIGHT answer and can fucking PROVE it.

I approve of this assbaggery.

But she should finish her degree.  One less thing to stress about.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Net on January 28, 2014, 04:13:51 AM

I didn't graduate either after being in school for 5-6 years.

I hate art schools now, but not art. In fact, I hate them so much that I refused to take the 3 remaining classes required to graduate from their crony-corporatist shit-show of a school. I'm going to cash those credits in on a worthwhile degree.

When I'm able to go back to school it's going to be in the hard sciences....possibly math. Pure fucking math. Shit where it's undeniable you've got the RIGHT answer and can fucking PROVE it. No more of this design bullshit that no one gives a shit about unless they're a rich, overeducated pisshole.

SUU WAS RIGHT, GET OUT WHILE YOU CAN, IT'S A FUCKIN SCAM!

Math is beautiful and perfect. I was lured toward math for a while, but I decided in the end that I actually want the messy, complicated, ugly realities of biology and human behavior.

But math. Math! So lovely. So perfect. So CLEAN.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on January 28, 2014, 04:14:28 AM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on January 28, 2014, 04:12:43 AM

2.  Money.
3.  Beer.

Had kids.

For the most part, I have no regrets... I had an interesting life, and awesome kids.

However, as I did mention, I still resent my mom. And I think that resentment is useful, in that it will prevent me from ever doing to my kids what she did to me.

Yeah, I made a point of not being controlling over my kids.

And you know what?  They didn't grow up to be convicts or anything.