News:

Look at the world emptily, and it will gladly return the favor.

Main Menu

OPEN BAR: it rubs the lotion on the skin or it gets the hose again

Started by Salty, February 02, 2014, 03:49:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

I am returned from the dead.  Internet functional, both eyes functional, going back to work on Monday.

My new pickup line:  "I am no longer contagious!"

I spent an uncomfortable 2 days with absolutely no sight in my left eye, left alone in Tucson with my parricidal daughter and a gigantic and fairly stupid dog.  I survived by locking myself in the bathroom with my laptop, playing Civ V day and night.

It made me wonder what we did before TV and the internet.  Oh, yeah, we drank a lot. 

In any case, my daughter would occasionally hammer on the door and inform me that food was available.  Could I trust her not to poison it?  Probably not, but the alternative was cooking, and I happen to know that if I managed to cut another piece of my ear off or something, she'd just laugh at me while I bled on the floor. 

By some miracle, the food was not in fact poisoned.  So here I am, back to tell you rotten bastards to SHUT UP.

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on February 15, 2014, 03:58:50 AM
I am returned from the dead.  Internet functional, both eyes functional, going back to work on Monday.

I spent an uncomfortable 2 days with absolutely no sight in my left eye, left alone in Tucson with my parricidal daughter and a gigantic and fairly stupid dog.  I survived by locking myself in the bathroom with my laptop, playing Civ V day and night.

It made me wonder what we did before TV and the internet.  Oh, yeah, we drank a lot. 

In any case, my daughter would occasionally hammer on the door and inform me that food was available.  Could I trust her not to poison it?  Probably not, but the alternative was cooking, and I happen to know that if I managed to cut another piece of my ear off or something, she'd just laugh at me while I bled on the floor. 

By some miracle, the food was not in fact poisoned.  So here I am, back to tell you rotten bastards to SHUT UP.

Welcome back! I am glad you and your eyes survived!! It was very nice of your daughter not to poison you. It makes me worry about what she's planning.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on February 15, 2014, 04:01:18 AM

Welcome back! I am glad you and your eyes survived!! It was very nice of your daughter not to poison you. It makes me worry about what she's planning.

Easy one, because she flat out told me.

"You have to survive til I'm out of college.  Which is 7 years from now, given an enlistment and then 4 years of school.  After that, I'm kicking out the plug."

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

LMNO

Well, live the life you have left, I suppose. 

And welcome back.  I'm glad you're not blind.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on February 15, 2014, 04:04:58 AM

So am I.  However, having had my vision tested, it has degraded more than I thought, and I'm getting glasses in 2 weeks.

Don't ever get old.

Also, the neuralgia will last far longer.  I feel like I have sand under my left eye lid, and it will come and go more or less for the rest of my life.

Shingles is one of God's nastier jokes.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on February 14, 2014, 06:06:15 PM
When you're in the context you're in, it becomes far too easy to do.

PS- Number 5 made me LOL.

It does. But then also, today after posting that I went to lab, and after lab I ran into a girl I took public speaking class with. This girl is awesome, very interested in health, and is one of the kindest hearts I've ever met, but she has a really hard time with math and science because her analytical thinking skills are not very strong. And she knows it... she talks about how she's "dumb" and when she says that, looking at her sweet kind interested face it makes me want to cry, because she's NOT DUMB. She's an awesome person. I really like her, a lot. And falling for that particular brand of elitism would require me to place her in a class below my own, intellectually, and that is PURE BULLSHIT. Because she wants to learn, she loves learning, she is in school because even though she has always found learning analytical subjects hard she really, really wants to do it. She has taken a lot of classes twice. Am I seriously going to look down on her because she has a harder time solving puzzles than I do? You know, fuck that, no fucking way! And the thing is, there are a lot of people who haven't even had the exposure she's had to critical thinking, for whom it doesn't come naturally, who have been condescended to and shoved aside instead of having anyone say look, here's the thing, it's not that you're wrong it's that I wonder if you've ever had anyone explain this thing to you this way.

And then I think, shit, I have been an asshole so many times in my life to someone who wasn't stupid but just hadn't been in a situation where learning could happen. And I have probably been an asshole today. And I will probably also be an asshole tomorrow. But maybe what I need to do to learn is be less of an asshole and not look down on people just because their problem-solving aptitude isn't very good.

Which is hard, and I totally fucking admit that I am not that good at it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on February 15, 2014, 04:07:38 AM

So am I.  However, having had my vision tested, it has degraded more than I thought, and I'm getting glasses in 2 weeks.

Don't ever get old.

Also, the neuralgia will last far longer.  I feel like I have sand under my left eye lid, and it will come and go more or less for the rest of my life.

I am so sorry to hear that the sandy shit ain't gonna go away!

This is really the first time you have ever had glasses??? Whoa. I've had 'em since I was 21 and all of my kids wear them.

Also, I will tell this story to all those assholes who think they shouldn't vaccinate their kids against chicken pox.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on February 15, 2014, 04:03:40 AM

"You have to survive til I'm out of college.  Which is 7 years from now, given an enlistment and then 4 years of school.  After that, I'm kicking out the plug."

:lulz: Keelin is amazing. She's like an older, more cynical cross between Little Orange and EFO.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on February 14, 2014, 09:07:26 PM
Okay. My recent weather-related asshattery has come home to roost. There was a 100 car pile-up in Pennsylvania today.

I apologize for my outburst.

http://www.delcotimes.com/general-news/20140214/100-car-pileup-shuts-down-pa-turnpike-in-both-directionsut

I got nothing for this.

Nature has a way of showing you what.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel's Red Volvulus Skin Sacs on February 15, 2014, 04:17:36 AM

Don't ever get old.

I am so sorry to hear that the sandy shit ain't gonna go away!

This is really the first time you have ever had glasses??? Whoa. I've had 'em since I was 21 and all of my kids wear them.

Also, I will tell this story to all those assholes who think they shouldn't vaccinate their kids against chicken pox.

Yeah, if I hadn't got pumped full of antivirals right away, I'd have lost the eye.  The primary formations (can't remember their name) had formed, but I was treated before any dendrites formed.  Because I have good insurance.

So anyone who thinks health insurance can't be handled universally can kiss my ass.  If I wasn't lucky, I wouldn't have this job.  If I didn't have this job and the insurance that goes along with it, I'd have never been able to afford the antivirals (damn near $150/day for 7 days if I had to pay for them).  Then I'd have one eye.

I am now going to go fuck with teabaggers, come to think of it.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel's Red Volvulus Skin Sacs on February 15, 2014, 04:18:46 AM

:lulz: Keelin is amazing. She's like an older, more cynical cross between Little Orange and EFO.

I am certain they will catch up.   :lol:

People like you and I are not going to have "normal" kids.  Thank God.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Alty on February 15, 2014, 01:39:34 AM
Aha aha, I don't qualify for education credits on my taxes because my filing status is married. HA HA HA HA HAHHAHAHASDLSAFDPBwadj)iohgfsewadhjio{feso(qawej})phio/

Oh yeah. I remember that year. That was a stupid fucking year.

Richter

So am I.  However, having had my vision tested, it has degraded more than I thought, and I'm getting glasses in 2 weeks.  Glad you're back, did you get to pass on the bell's palsy at least?

Don't ever get old.

Holy Hell - you're not trying to fill out some sort of HORRILBE AFFLICTION bingo are you?  Glad you did not turn into Odin, and sounds like you've missed the bell's palsy
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on February 15, 2014, 04:21:59 AM
Quote from: Nigel's Red Volvulus Skin Sacs on February 15, 2014, 04:18:46 AM

I am certain they will catch up.   :lol:

People like you and I are not going to have "normal" kids.  Thank God.

Seriously. I wish I could have had like ten more. I feel like the world deserves it.

LMNO

Quote from: Nigel's Red Volvulus Skin Sacs on February 15, 2014, 04:14:39 AM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on February 14, 2014, 06:06:15 PM
When you're in the context you're in, it becomes far too easy to do.

PS- Number 5 made me LOL.

It does. But then also, today after posting that I went to lab, and after lab I ran into a girl I took public speaking class with. This girl is awesome, very interested in health, and is one of the kindest hearts I've ever met, but she has a really hard time with math and science because her analytical thinking skills are not very strong. And she knows it... she talks about how she's "dumb" and when she says that, looking at her sweet kind interested face it makes me want to cry, because she's NOT DUMB. She's an awesome person. I really like her, a lot. And falling for that particular brand of elitism would require me to place her in a class below my own, intellectually, and that is PURE BULLSHIT. Because she wants to learn, she loves learning, she is in school because even though she has always found learning analytical subjects hard she really, really wants to do it. She has taken a lot of classes twice. Am I seriously going to look down on her because she has a harder time solving puzzles than I do? You know, fuck that, no fucking way! And the thing is, there are a lot of people who haven't even had the exposure she's had to critical thinking, for whom it doesn't come naturally, who have been condescended to and shoved aside instead of having anyone say look, here's the thing, it's not that you're wrong it's that I wonder if you've ever had anyone explain this thing to you this way.

And then I think, shit, I have been an asshole so many times in my life to someone who wasn't stupid but just hadn't been in a situation where learning could happen. And I have probably been an asshole today. And I will probably also be an asshole tomorrow. But maybe what I need to do to learn is be less of an asshole and not look down on people just because their problem-solving aptitude isn't very good.

Which is hard, and I totally fucking admit that I am not that good at it.

I'm starting to get the feeling I need to do more of this.  I have to admit, I've been a smug intellectual longer than I care to admit, longer even than when I realized I was doing it wrong.

And I've been wrong.  So many, many times.

"Be less of an asshole."  I like that.  Hard to do.  But I want to try.