News:

In North Korea, this forum wouldn't be banned, it would be revered and taught in schools as a palatable and preferable version of Western history. And in many ways, that's all the truth the children of North Korea need

Main Menu

OPEN BAR: it rubs the lotion on the skin or it gets the hose again

Started by Salty, February 02, 2014, 03:49:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Suu

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Cain

Well, I just spent my first month's pay on a bike.

Fucking hell.  I mean, OK, I expected bikes to be a little more expensive than a decade ago, when I was last in the market for one, but a 400% increase in price?  C'mon now.  And £60 for a hi-vis jacket?  Now you're just taking the piss.

On the plus side, I'm negotiating for a series of articles on Ukraine, which may dull the financial pain.  Somewhat.

LMNO

Bikes got a lot more expensive, yeah.  Especially if you want one with more than one gear on it.

Cain

One gear bikes are an abombination in the eyes of the LORD.

Suu

I'll be getting a new bike shortly. My guess is it's going to be a $200 Wal-Mart Huffy, because there is no way I can get a better brand.

Yes, even bikes at Wal-Mart are $200.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Cain

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on February 20, 2014, 03:13:07 PM
Quote from: Nigel's Red Volvulus Skin Sacs on February 20, 2014, 03:11:15 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on February 20, 2014, 02:09:39 PM
Quote from: Nigel's Red Volvulus Skin Sacs on February 20, 2014, 06:19:41 AM
So, my chem lab partner is a trainwreck. I've been suspecting since the beginning of the term, but I actually had only had three labs with her and they were all really simple. I did notice that the day she was out sick and I got to partner with vastly more competent people went much more smoothly, and that was by far the hardest lab we've done. But now, yeah, it's pretty much plain that she doesn't belong in the class. She doesn't seem to know how to use computers, and she can't follow simple written instructions. I can hold her hand through a lab when I already have a reasonable level of competence, but if it's something I need to focus on I'm just fucked. Like, I can't. I just can't. She doesn't know ALGEBRA. She doesn't understand what an inverse proportion is. She can't solve for P2 given the information that P1/V1=P2/V2. She interrupts me constantly with questions because she doesn't know what to do next or how to do anything.

SHE LITERALLY CANNOT FOLLOW WRITTEN STEP-BY-STEP DIRECTIONS. I HAVE TO TELL HER WHAT TO DO ONE STEP AT A TIME. SHE CANNOT READ A SYRINGE. This SHOULD have been one of the easiest labs to do but it was hellish and frustrating. She is very nice, but she should not be in this class at all. How the hell did she get into this class?

I think this is done intentionally, to some degree, to train college students as to what to expect in real life.  Kinda surprised they sprung it on you, though.  If I were the prof, I'd have assigned the twit to a bright 20 year old, just to temper the iron before he/she sets foot in a RL chemistry environment.

I think this was more or less randomly-occurring, by virtue of me having been in a different lab last term and coming into this one where almost everyone already had a lab partner from last term.

Oh, okay.

Because back in physics, I noticed that they always seemed to pair up a hard worker with a yutz.

I could see that being a thing, and my professor did say that she reserves the right to shuffle lab partners at her discretion. However, the initial pairing is up to us. It probably should have been a red flag that she was the only person in the class who didn't have a lab partner from last term.

It seriously wouldn't even be a problem at all, but when I don't really know what I'm doing either, it's too hard to manage her cluelessness in addition to my learning curve.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Agh, but of course probably the reason she keeps me partnered with her is because she knows I'll try.

I can't handle another lab like last night's, though. SHE COULDN'T READ A SYRINGE.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Just ran into an old member of PD on Facebook (not gonna name names) who was complaining that he didn't like facebook because he doesn't see everything in his feed and it's hard to find old posts.  He suggested that someone build an alternate platform.

I reminded him that he had an alternate platform (here), and he left it for facebook.

He replied that he was too "grown up now" for PD now.

:sad:

I'm 45 fucking years old, and if I ever "get too grown up" for PD, I expect Nigel, LMNO, and ECH to kick me to death for my own good.

Salty

The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

LMNO

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on February 20, 2014, 06:32:55 PM
Just ran into an old member of PD on Facebook (not gonna name names) who was complaining that he didn't like facebook because he doesn't see everything in his feed and it's hard to find old posts.  He suggested that someone build an alternate platform.

I reminded him that he had an alternate platform (here), and he left it for facebook.

I'm 45 fucking years old, and if I ever "get too grown up" for PD, I expect Nigel, LMNO, and ECH to kick me to death for my own good.

:crybaby:

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

If Facebook is the next leap, maturity wise, I'm going to be telling fart jokes forever. Fuck that shit. Facebook was originally for college kids and pedos. Opening it up to the unwashed masses has not in any way raised the IQ of that place.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on February 20, 2014, 07:40:38 PM

If Facebook is the next leap, maturity wise, I'm going to be telling fart jokes forever. Fuck that shit. Facebook was originally for college kids and pedos. Opening it up to the unwashed masses has not in any way raised the IQ of that place.

Yeah, well, a guy I used to like has become a twerp.  Seriously, who the fuck would say something like that, without (or worse, with) thinking about what he was saying about the person with whom he is speaking?

Fuck that guy.