News:

PD.com: The most patriotic board in America - jointly run by an Australian, an Irishman, a filthy Dutchman, a Canadian and some guy from the West Indies.

Main Menu

Shut me up, or go fuck yourself!

Started by Ben Shapiro, February 22, 2014, 01:57:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pæs

Steampunk has always seemed to me to be comprised of people who would FUCKING LOVE to go to a renaissance fair but got sick of being challenged on anachronisms and inaccurately constructed technology so were like "Y'KNOW WHAT, YOUR HIGHNESS? FUCK YOU. I HAVE A LAZOR POWERED BY GEARS NOW."

Faust

Quote from: Pæs on February 23, 2014, 08:38:44 PM
Steampunk has always seemed to me to be comprised of people who would FUCKING LOVE to go to a renaissance fair but got sick of being challenged on anachronisms and inaccurately constructed technology so were like "Y'KNOW WHAT, YOUR HIGHNESS? FUCK YOU. I HAVE A LAZOR POWERED BY GEARS NOW."

That's probably it, the anything goes attitude kind of makes them all really laid back and willing to accept each others crazy concepts.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

The Johnny

I dont know, steampunk i always have reserved judgement or at least benefit of the doubt... i never quite have understood what they are all about nor have the interest to find out, kind of like more aesthetically and nerdy oriented juggalos, i would say.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Faust

Quote from: The Johnny on February 23, 2014, 09:14:33 PM

I dont know, steampunk i always have reserved judgement or at least benefit of the doubt... i never quite have understood what they are all about nor have the interest to find out, kind of like more aesthetically and nerdy oriented juggalos, i would say.

That's pretty much all there is to them. Scratch the surface and that's all you've got, an aesthetic and nothing more. That's why I think it's very superficial, but if it makes them happy I guess they don't need anything more.

Pergamos

Quote from: The Johnny on February 23, 2014, 09:14:33 PM

I do like their music better than juggalo stuff

monad

Does the same apply to those who yearn for the "simple life", communes, etc?

Faust

Quote from: monad on February 23, 2014, 09:48:13 PM

No, because they yearn for a simple life, and steampunks are just simple.

monad

Quote from: Faust on February 23, 2014, 10:09:08 PM

I meant more with regards to nostalgia in general.

Faust

Quote from: monad on February 23, 2014, 10:13:18 PM
Quote from: Faust on February 23, 2014, 10:09:08 PM

I meant more with regards to nostalgia in general.

Ah ok. We don't have too many of those in Ireland so I'll pass this up to someone who has some experience with the Amish or something

Pæs

There's a difference between "I want a simple life on a commune" and "The world was better before vaccines and electricity."

Salty

Most people who seek simplicity, which I take to mean less dependence on technology, creature comforts, etc, do so because they enjoy the tasks which modern living takes care of, but at a cost. Global supply chains, dependence on large organization which may meet our needs, have a measure of quality we have little control over.

Then there are those who simply do it to reject the common culture they are born in for a vairety of reasons, of which nostalgia must certainly be one.

As for geared ipads...I dunno, I think a lot of times people just prefer certain designs. If they take anything away from the Victorian era, let it be design!
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

monad

Quote from: Pæs on February 23, 2014, 10:19:20 PM
There's a difference between "I want a simple life on a commune" and "The world was better before vaccines and electricity."

They could easily be interpreted as analogous.

Salty

I mean, I am not seeing people pining for those times in the way people do for the 50s.

The 21st Century is one of cherry picking your way through history, for better or worse.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Pæs

Quote from: monad on February 23, 2014, 10:35:45 PM
Quote from: Pæs on February 23, 2014, 10:19:20 PM

They could easily be interpreted as analogous.

One is an expression of personal preference based on a value judgment the individual is free to make; the other more commonly linked to judgement of the lives of others.

"I like growing my own food" vs "Kids these days aren't as good because they don't have the same experiences I had."

Pergamos

The Amish are wonderful.  They're nonviolent, grow great organic veggies that theyvwill happily sell, brew great homemade wine that they will sometimes share, and they aren't interested in casting judgement on others.

They don't reject technology out of hand, but they are selective bout it's use, which is something I think we could all learn from.