News:

PD.com: "a rather irritating form of hermetic terrorism".

Main Menu

Here's an unoriginal idea

Started by monad, February 24, 2014, 10:58:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"Playing at being mentally ill" is not an approach that goes over very well here, FYI.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

Quote from: Nigel on March 04, 2014, 06:21:35 PM
"Playing at being mentally ill" is not an approach that goes over very well here, FYI.

Yes, that.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Obligatory Resignation on March 04, 2014, 06:19:32 PM
Oh  :eek:, You're actually offended?

What gave it away, Sparky?  Do you perhaps spend time talking about the whimsical nature of being wheelchair bound as well?  Or perhaps how delightfully giddy chemotherapy must be?

Here's the deal:  After a short but intense bout with a brain virus several years ago, I have these little moments once or twice a year.  I get headachey, and my world turns into a Ben Templesmith art project.  When these episodes end, I find that there are one or two friends and/or family members that will never really ever speak to me again, because most people won't tolerate crazy in their personal lives, and with good reason.  And I'm not even a particularly BAD case.  A long-time friend of mine has basically ceased to exist due to BPD, and I miss her greatly.

So when some giddy asshole walks in spouting about how "insane" he is, singing paeans to the glories of personality erosion, JUST WHAT THE GIBBERING FUCK SORT OF REACTION DO YOU THINK I'M GOING TO HAVE?

You should maybe find some polio victims and jabber about the glories of an iron lung, maybe.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Resigned Obligatorily

I'm actually sorry. I didn't think about that.
I swear though, I do have actual doubts about myself, for reason I'm not yet comfortable explaining.
Also, I'm sure I have the genes.

My Only uncle (RIP) was in an institution since before I was born.
My only brother got a little better recently after a ton of church, but seems to not be capable of sympathy.
My mom is a religious fanatic, and is normal for the most part.
And my dad (Rip) had very serious anger issues, and a lot of people I met that knew him, referred to him as crazy Steve.(He was x-special forced, Explosive ordinance disposal in Vietnam)

I am 23, so I could still change forever for all I know.
It really has been a great fear of mine ever since I read about the relation between Schizophrenia and genetics as a kid.

Who am I?
I am a nobody,
and the odds are
that you are too.

If you say its a bad idea
to listen to a nobody;
you likely are also saying nobody,
should listen to you.

Do not trust the authorities on a subject;
simply because they are the authority.

Listen to them only if what they say is truth.

~O.R.

Resigned Obligatorily

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 04, 2014, 06:25:25 PM

What gave it away, Sparky?  Do you perhaps spend time talking about the whimsical nature of being wheelchair bound as well?  Or perhaps how delightfully giddy chemotherapy must be?

Here's the deal:  After a short but intense bout with a brain virus several years ago, I have these little moments once or twice a year.  I get headachey, and my world turns into a Ben Templesmith art project.  When these episodes end, I find that there are one or two friends and/or family members that will never really ever speak to me again, because most people won't tolerate crazy in their personal lives, and with good reason.  And I'm not even a particularly BAD case.  A long-time friend of mine has basically ceased to exist due to BPD, and I miss her greatly.

So when some giddy asshole walks in spouting about how "insane" he is, singing paeans to the glories of personality erosion, JUST WHAT THE GIBBERING FUCK SORT OF REACTION DO YOU THINK I'M GOING TO HAVE?

You should maybe find some polio victims and jabber about the glories of an iron lung, maybe.

I promise to be more sensitive on such issues.
I feel really bad.
Who am I?
I am a nobody,
and the odds are
that you are too.

to listen to a nobody;
should listen to you.

~O.R.

Resigned Obligatorily

Nigel, i promise that is a genuine story.
If you can help me think of a way of proving
it without revealing my identity or too much info, I will fully cooperate.
(The one about my family, not my stupid chatter)
Who am I?
I am a nobody,
and the odds are
that you are too.

to listen to a nobody;
should listen to you.

~O.R.

Faust

Look around, stop posting about yourself for a while, and give it another shot.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Obligatory Resignation on March 04, 2014, 06:31:05 PM

I swear though, I do have actual doubts about myself, for reason I'm not yet comfortable explaining.

My only brother got a little better recently after a ton of church, but seems to not be capable of sympathy.
And my dad (Rip) had very serious anger issues, and a lot of people I met that knew him, referred to him as crazy Steve.(He was x-special forced, Explosive ordinance disposal in Vietnam)

It really has been a great fear of mine ever since I read about the relation between Schizophrenia and genetics as a kid.

At 23 you are most likely (mostly) out of the woods for full-blown schizophrenia, but you might want to be assessed for schizoaffective personality disorder or other psychological predispositions. There is a genetic component, and it seems to link all the major personality disorders in some way, but it isn't well understood.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Resigned Obligatorily

Quote from: Faust on March 04, 2014, 06:46:06 PM

Will do.

For a little while, if I post, it wont be for my own amusement.
I have been reading around and respect you guys quite a bit.
Who am I?
I am a nobody,
and the odds are
that you are too.

to listen to a nobody;
should listen to you.

~O.R.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Obligatory Resignation on March 04, 2014, 06:48:27 PM
Quote from: Faust on March 04, 2014, 06:46:06 PM

Will do.

For a little while, if I post, it wont be for my own amusement.
I have been reading around and respect you guys quite a bit.

Awesome, I wish you well. Nice to have you on board.

LMNO

I respect your follow up posts, OR. Good on ya.

Resigned Obligatorily

Quote from: Nigel on March 04, 2014, 06:47:43 PM
Quote from: Obligatory Resignation on March 04, 2014, 06:31:05 PM

At 23 you are most likely (mostly) out of the woods for full-blown schizophrenia, but you might want to be assessed for schizoaffective personality disorder or other psychological predispositions. There is a genetic component, and it seems to link all the major personality disorders in some way, but it isn't well understood.

I've never understood what being diagnosed would accomplish.
I'm afraid its just a disability label that will stick on my record forever.
It seems like it would be a disadvantage somehow. I don't want meds or anything like that.

(Would explain further, but I've already waisted enough of yalls time talking about myself for one sitting.
I'll lurk and speak when spoken to for the rest of the day)

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 04, 2014, 06:12:56 PM
Quote from: Obligatory Resignation on March 04, 2014, 06:11:45 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 04, 2014, 06:10:57 PM
Quote from: Obligatory Resignation on March 04, 2014, 06:07:09 PM

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 04, 2014, 06:00:45 PM
In denial of your own insanity, you say?
You see:
Suppose I am not crazy, but instead am under the delusion of being crazy.
Wouldn't a delusion of insanity be insanity itself?

Suppose I am crazy and am completely correct. What symptoms do I have?
If none, then I am wrong and therefore crazy.
If I do have symptoms, then the insanity would make me unaware of them.
The symptoms/delusions would feel as real as a sane person's reality feels to them.

In this way I get to feel assured that I am self aware of my state of mind.

Suppose you fuck off and die, asshole.

You don't take jokes very well do you?

Well, no.  Not on certain subjects.

You may now begin sorting the peanuts out of my shit.  Thanks.

Did you swallow them whole?
(Plus, it may bio-degrade too much in the mail)
(I meant in a friendly kind of way, not a snide quip kind of way)
Who am I?
I am a nobody,
and the odds are
that you are too.

to listen to a nobody;
should listen to you.

~O.R.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

You don't have to get a formal diagnosis. It's just a good idea to talk to a professional to get a feel for whether you might have any issues you should keep an eye on. If you're seriously concerned about it, that is. I've talked to a lot of young people who pull the "I'm probably kinda crazy!" line but are really more worried about being told they're perfectly normal than worried about being told they're not, because it takes away their special snowflake card.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Obligatory Resignation on March 04, 2014, 06:34:30 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 04, 2014, 06:25:25 PM

I promise to be more sensitive on such issues.
I feel really bad.

Okay.  Consider it forgotten.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Pæs

I was waiting for this guy to step in it but am pleasantly surprised that his response to doing so was to look at his foot and say "wow, I'm covered in shit. I should sort this out before continuing."