News:

If words could really hurt you, this forum would be one huge abbatoir.

Main Menu

Brush your teeth with a stick

Started by Cuddlefish, March 01, 2014, 12:04:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuddlefish

Any one ever hear of miswak?

I haven't seen any studies or reports that have any particularly negative results, and I just got some in the mail today, and I'm really enjoying it. It'll be great for on the go, and it can take your mind off of cigarettes if you're a smoker. Plus, it tastes interesting and feels cool. 
A fisher of men, or a manner of fish?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cuddlefish

Red

Yeah, I've used those before. Some of the shops out here carry them both flavored and unflavored. They're pretty fun to use. Sometimes I'll grab one for something to chew on after meals. It freshens the breath and cleans the teeth! Double bonus. Just be careful not to suck on them too long or the wood can come loose in splinters. Luckily, all it takes is letting the stick dry overnight then cutting the used area away with a pocket knife and you're good again.

It's been awhile. I should do it again some time!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

You can also just cut a twig off a tree. Maple, oak, dogwood, and most fruiting trees are good.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Red

Quote from: Nigel on March 01, 2014, 07:39:05 PM
You can also just cut a twig off a tree. Maple, oak, dogwood, and most fruiting trees are good.
True, although different trees do have different flavors and different properties. Miswak is just the most popular. Oak can be sort of bitter, Apple usually is OK, and plum has too much resin to be useful (at least my red plum did).

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Red on March 02, 2014, 03:03:12 AM
True, although different trees do have different flavors and different properties. Miswak is just the most popular. Oak can be sort of bitter, Apple usually is OK, and plum has too much resin to be useful (at least my red plum did).

That would never have occurred to me, thanks for clueing me in.

Red

Quote from: Nigel on March 02, 2014, 04:14:45 AM
That would never have occurred to me, thanks for clueing me in.
No problem. Learning to use natural alternatives can be really interesting sometimes.

I think the nicest random stick (not purchased anywhere) I have tried was sassafras. It tastes like root beer! On the down side the sassfarole can lead to cancer so don't use it too much.

Currently I am tinkering with tooth powders. I'm starting to get the hang of it and am considering making my own based on some things I have seen used in commercial tooth powders.

Salty

The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Cuddlefish

I just spent some time poking around the inter-butts, and it is actually really surprising to see that there are so many different types of chew-sticks out there. I'm concerned mostly with those with antimicrobial properties, and even this category is extensive. I have experience with miswak, and I'm really liking it, but the flavor can get a little... persistent. 

Any suggestions on a good alternative that tastes better, but also has similar antimicrobial properties as miswak? Also, growing my own is not really an option for me at the time, so something commercially available would be also necessary. These things are really useful during the day when I'm stuck on campus for hours. And, with no dental insurance, I want to do all I can. Plus it's just kinda cool chewing a stick.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cuddlefish on March 02, 2014, 05:12:30 PM

I just spent some time poking around the inter-butts, and it is actually really surprising to see that there are so many different types of chew-sticks out there. I'm concerned mostly with those with antimicrobial properties, and even this category is extensive. I have experience with miswak, and I'm really liking it, but the flavor can get a little... persistent. 

Any suggestions on a good alternative that tastes better, but also has similar antimicrobial properties as miswak? Also, growing my own is not really an option for me at the time, so something commercially available would be also necessary. These things are really useful during the day when I'm stuck on campus for hours. And, with no dental insurance, I want to do all I can. Plus it's just kinda cool chewing a stick.

Pretty much all of them have microbial qualities.

Cuddlefish

Quote from: Nigel on March 03, 2014, 03:55:07 AM

Pretty much all of them have microbial qualities.

Pretty cool.

Red

Any suggestions on a good alternative that tastes better, but also has similar antimicrobial properties as miswak? Also, growing my own is not really an option for me at the time, so something commercially available would be also necessary.

Have you looked into flavored chewing sticks? Usually it's flavored liccorice root, but it has a different flavor, can be bought pretty easily commercially and works for cleaning teeth and/or having something to chew on. Here's one company that sells them and if you have any "African" shops around you can probably find them there.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cuddlefish on March 01, 2014, 12:04:28 AM
Any one ever hear of miswak?

I haven't seen any studies or reports that have any particularly negative results, and I just got some in the mail today, and I'm really enjoying it. It'll be great for on the go, and it can take your mind off of cigarettes if you're a smoker. Plus, it tastes interesting and feels cool.

I just like to see what happens when I put WD40, etc, in my e-cig.  Haven't wanted tobacco since September.  But things HAVE become a little, you know, disconnected.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Cuddlefish, don't you have parks or neighbors where you live?