OPEN BAR: I see you've come to PD. I too like to live dangerously

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, April 28, 2014, 08:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on May 15, 2014, 04:08:58 PM
Also, I'm off working until Saturday sometime.  See ya later.

Have as much fun as is possible.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

That wont be much, sadly.  The night shift is an abomination, as is working 24 out of 48 hours.

Actually, it's not so bad, but the transition back to normal sleeping times is a real pain.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LuciferX on May 15, 2014, 10:19:06 AM
Quote from: All-Father Nigel on May 15, 2014, 05:27:08 AM
I just broke a fucking  tooth.

The earliest dental appointment at the clinic that takes my broke-ass student coverage is in July. :(
That's just not right.  You need to talk to someone else at the clinic.  I mean, are they paying for the fucking ensure till then?  Or else?  These are the kinds of things that get my dog all agitated and such...

Does the student body have a cafeteria that serves rice?  It would not look good if they served you something undercooked that chipped your smile.  That touches a nerve :argh!:

I was flossing and a chunk of a molar went FLING.

I don't really trust the State dentists anyway, and may just try to muster up the cash to go see my regular dentist.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

Quote from: Cain on May 15, 2014, 04:08:25 PM
Quote from: NoLeDeMiel on May 15, 2014, 02:28:25 PM
Quote from: All-Father Nigel on May 15, 2014, 03:51:09 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 14, 2014, 03:42:07 PM
So, some Safety Nazi in HR has decided to outlaw e-cigs in offices.  And our cheese-sucking Safety Officer finds this (it was published in an obscure manner), and decides to announce it in the staff meeting, making it un-ignorable (which was my boss's intent).  He sat there looking all pleased with himself, completely oblivious to the raw hatred on Lilly's face (his supervisor), because she hasn't had to smell smoke on peoples' clothes in almost a year, and that smell makes her ill.

Between this and his attempt to fuck me over 2 weeks ago, I am disappointed.  I thought we finally had an SO that was worth a shit.

I have yet to hear or read ANY logically consistent justification for banning e-cigs.

It's a multi-part proof. Here's the steps:

1. They look like, act like, or in some other way are related to cigarettes.
2. Cigarettes are bad.
3. mm'kay!

Pretty irrefutable, that.

The school I worked at banned them.  But we had irrefutable logic for doing so:

1) People under 16 using them
2) People not using them in the designated smoking area on the school site, but instead in their bedrooms
3) People buying experimental liquid solutions online to stick in their e-cig

I assume none of these problems apply to a workplace, though.

I can see the problem with number 1, and number 3 (that's a problem I snicker at), but I can't see the issue with number 2. The byproducts are completely different than cigarettes. New York and I believe Chicago are restricting where you can "smoke" e-cigs, exactly as they do cigarettes. That just seems a bit arbitrary.
Back to the fecal matter in the pool

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

So, some Safety Nazi in HR has decided to outlaw e-cigs in offices.  And our cheese-sucking Safety Officer finds this (it was published in an obscure manner), and decides to announce it in the staff meeting, making it un-ignorable (which was my boss's intent).  He sat there looking all pleased with himself, completely oblivious to the raw hatred on Lilly's face (his supervisor), because she hasn't had to smell smoke on peoples' clothes in almost a year, and that smell makes her ill.

Between this and his attempt to fuck me over 2 weeks ago, I am disappointed.  I thought we finally had an SO that was worth a shit.

I have yet to hear or read ANY logically consistent justification for banning e-cigs.

2. Cigarettes are bad.
3. mm'kay!

:lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

2. Cigarettes are bad.
3. mm'kay!

2) People not using them in the designated smoking area on the school site, but instead in their bedrooms

I agree that people under 16 shouldn't use them or other nicotine delivery systems, but what on earth is the logic behind requiring people use them in designated smoking areas when they are not, in fact, producing smoke, which was the reason behind making designating smoking areas in the first place?

And I'm not sure about the experimental liquid solutions, which seem like things you wouldn't want kids to do but in an adult setting to fall more under the "none of your business" umbrella.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

It's a little like insisting that people use electric heaters ONLY under chimneys, because electric heaters produce heat just like fire does.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: All-Father Nigel on May 15, 2014, 04:51:43 PM

2. Cigarettes are bad.
3. mm'kay!

I agree that people under 16 shouldn't use them or other nicotine delivery systems, but what on earth is the logic behind requiring people use them in designated smoking areas when they are not, in fact, producing smoke, which was the reason behind making designating smoking areas in the first place?

And I'm not sure about the experimental liquid solutions, which seem like things you wouldn't want kids to do but in an adult setting to fall more under the "none of your business" umbrella.

The reasoning is "So you will breathe second hand smoke and pay for your habit like everyone else."

The reasoning is "Petty authority."

The reasoning is "Bad person."
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 15, 2014, 04:55:25 PM
Quote from: All-Father Nigel on May 15, 2014, 04:51:43 PM

2. Cigarettes are bad.
3. mm'kay!

The reasoning is "So you will breathe second hand smoke and pay for your habit like everyone else."

The reasoning is "Petty authority."

The reasoning is "Bad person."

So basically the reasoning is "punishment fetish society"?

Cain

Well, I'm glad everyone decided the second reason for me.  No need for me to explain it now, is there?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on May 15, 2014, 05:15:33 PM
Well, I'm glad everyone decided the second reason for me.  No need for me to explain it now, is there?

I'd be interested in hearing your reasoning, because the only reasoning I've been able to find so far is that they look like cigarettes and have nicotine, and if people can't smoke real cigarettes outside of designated smoking areas then why should e-cig users get to?

trix

Quote from: All-Father Nigel on May 15, 2014, 05:55:16 PM
Quote from: Cain on May 15, 2014, 05:15:33 PM

I'd be interested in hearing your reasoning, because the only reasoning I've been able to find so far is that they look like cigarettes and have nicotine, and if people can't smoke real cigarettes outside of designated smoking areas then why should e-cig users get to?

Perhaps the idea is that non-smoking kids are less likely to pick up smoking if it's not in their faces as much.

I would also like to hear the real reasoning used, but I can't deny that it's interesting to speculate.
There's good news tonight.  And bad news.  First, the bad news: there is no good news.  Now, the good news: you don't have to listen to the bad news.
Zen Without Zen Masters

Quote from: Cain
Gender is a social construct.  As society, we get to choose your gender.

Suu

When I was in elementary school, I wanted to be an artist when I grew up.

Today, my house is a mess of fabric scraps, paint, power tools, and empty coffee mugs while I dance around to Depeche Mode because I'm way too caffeinated and want to procrastinate.

I don't think this is what I had in mind at age 9.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

trix

Quote from: The Suu on May 15, 2014, 08:11:38 PM

Today, my house is a mess of fabric scraps, paint, power tools, and empty coffee mugs while I dance around to Depeche Mode because I'm way too caffeinated and want to procrastinate.

Was what you had in mind, sitting around all day holding a paintbrush?

Because if so, reality sounds better and more fun than your childhood dream
There's good news tonight.  And bad news.  First, the bad news: there is no good news.  Now, the good news: you don't have to listen to the bad news.
Zen Without Zen Masters

Quote from: Cain
Gender is a social construct.  As society, we get to choose your gender.

minuspace

Quote from: The Suu on May 15, 2014, 08:11:38 PM

It's so much better than I expected, and this would have been the last thing I ever anticipated doing.  Now I figure it was really the fuel for all the stuff I thought I wanted to do.

Regrets: 

• probably won't get clearence anytime soon (fuck it)
  • Might not get to pilot a jet at any significant G's (still coming to terms with that :lulz:)

If I had to, I'd bet I'm not missing much  :lulz: