News:

TESTAMONIAL:  "I was still a bit rattled by the spectacular devastation."

Main Menu

Open Bar: Funnier Than White People Practicing Voodoo

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, June 09, 2014, 03:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

minuspace

Don't forget to stack any broken terra-cotta pots into piles, because voodoo :lulz:

Nephew Twiddleton

So, I finished up my precalc, and my genetics for the moment, and went back to studying Irish.

I've come to the realization that I am am very American. This realization came about by slowing down and pronouncing Déardaoin (Thursday) appropriately. The switching between broad and slender consonants is difficult.

If you'd like to give it a go, it sounds like jayr-theen. the first d is pronounced against your gums behind your teeth so it sounds like j, but not quite, the first vowel sound is "ay", the r is tooth-tongue flap, the second d is tongue against teeth so it sounds like th is "this", but not quite. aoi sounds like ee. The last n is pronounced against the back gums, like it's the second n in the Spanish word nino/nina.

This language is horrible. I'm going to continue to study it regardless.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Pæs on June 16, 2014, 11:50:50 PM
I think the latter.

The stairs at the back are paved with unfixed paving stones, which overhang the edge of the step somewhat, so when you stand on them the paving stones come free and throw you down the stairs.

OK, I just laughed, but honestly that sounds godawful! Also kind of amazing. Post new house/progress pics? I feel like it kind of deserves its own thread, and selfishly I want to know.

I'm oddly kind of curious about everyone's dwellings. I would love a "post where you live" thread because it adds so much context to people.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Ben Shapiro

So I no longer have a Lean Body Mass of 240lbs (No fat) I now have 225lbs.
FUCK YOU CARDIO FUCK YOU! Using the measuring tape test. Time to lift heavy, and eat the bare minimum 1800 to shred this un-needed body fat.

Suu

I got a Navy thing on Friday in Boston. This is going to require him to be dressed pretty and that means I have to also dress pretty. Caveat is that it's on the USS Constitution, so heels are going to be a bad idea.

In other news, what are you Boston spags doing Friday?
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Trivial

My parents randomly called to say they were in Boston.  Weird coincidence is weird.
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: The Suu on June 17, 2014, 02:42:16 AM
I got a Navy thing on Friday in Boston. This is going to require him to be dressed pretty and that means I have to also dress pretty. Caveat is that it's on the USS Constitution, so heels are going to be a bad idea.

Depends on two conditions:
a) what time on Friday and for how long
b) how many paid work hours I get in tomorrow, Wednesday, and Thursday.

and well, two other conditions:
c) I'm totally broke
d) I have Genetics until 2 pm. ETA: at Community College on the Orange Line, so +commute

Nephew Twiddleton

It also occurs to me, that for the 32 years that I've spent as a resident of Massachusetts, I've never once been on the Constitution.

Which brings me a bit of shame every time she's brought up.

Suu

Quote from: Ållnephew Tvýðleþøn on June 17, 2014, 03:17:11 AM

c) I'm totally broke
d) I have Genetics until 2 pm. ETA: at Community College on the Orange Line, so +commute

We gotta be at the boat at 8am.

Yes, I'm not thrilled about that one. Nothing like driving into Hell on a Friday morning.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: The Suu on June 17, 2014, 03:26:27 AM

c) I'm totally broke

Yes, I'm not thrilled about that one. Nothing like driving into Hell on a Friday morning.

Ahhh, that conflicts with condition D, since Genetics starts at 9.

Pæs

Xpost from Faceblog:
Somewhat difficult to imagine a scenario in which supervising the collection of rubbish from the apartment might go worse than it just did, while still resulting in the rubbish going away.
Smashed glass in lift foyer, left behind by removal guy. Furniture we included in quote not accounted for in space considerations so kicked to pieces in the main foyer to fit into the van. Horrified body corporate representatives onlooking for some of this. Figured best to let them finish the job rather than tell them to get lost with lift still full of trash.
So, um, if no angry emails are forthcoming I am going to pretend that none of that ever happened.

Suu

Quote from: Ållnephew Tvýðleþøn on June 17, 2014, 03:29:38 AM

c) I'm totally broke

On the bright side, I have an excuse to wear my vintage 50s cocktail dress with weird flats...because stilettos on a 235 year old boat is no.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Pæs on June 17, 2014, 03:36:25 AM
Xpost from Faceblog:
Somewhat difficult to imagine a scenario in which supervising the collection of rubbish from the apartment might go worse than it just did, while still resulting in the rubbish going away.
Smashed glass in lift foyer, left behind by removal guy. Furniture we included in quote not accounted for in space considerations so kicked to pieces in the main foyer to fit into the van. Horrified body corporate representatives onlooking for some of this. Figured best to let them finish the job rather than tell them to get lost with lift still full of trash.
So, um, if no angry emails are forthcoming I am going to pretend that none of that ever happened.

:eek:

Quote from: The Suu on June 17, 2014, 03:37:55 AM
Quote from: Ållnephew Tvýðleþøn on June 17, 2014, 03:29:38 AM

c) I'm totally broke

On the bright side, I have an excuse to wear my vintage 50s cocktail dress with weird flats...because stilettos on a 235 year old boat is no.

Yes, that is definitely no.

But otherwise, woo hoo!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: George Edger Dingleburry on June 17, 2014, 01:45:46 AM
So I no longer have a Lean Body Mass of 240lbs (No fat) I now have 225lbs.
FUCK YOU CARDIO FUCK YOU! Using the measuring tape test. Time to lift heavy, and eat the bare minimum 1800 to shred this un-needed body fat.

I like your new profile pic though.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Pæs on June 17, 2014, 03:36:25 AM
Xpost from Faceblog:

I can't actually figure out what happened by reading that post, other than that it was weird and surreal and resulted in significant destruction.