News:

I liked how they introduced her, like "her mother died in an insane asylum thinking she was Queen Victoria" and my thought was, I like where I think this is going. I was not disappointed.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Funnier Than White People Practicing Voodoo

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, June 09, 2014, 03:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Ållnephew Tvýðleþøn on June 20, 2014, 10:15:40 PM
I found out today that I am not Geneticsing enough.(<---Understatement) And that most people in the class aren't, but I am also not. And that is unacceptable. After this weekend I'm going to have to scale down anything that doesn't involve school until the end of July /beginning of August.

Actually, I leave for Chicago for a wedding the same day of my final, so, definitely August. I apologize in advance if I am ignorant of what's going on in your lives for the next month.

The average class score on the first exam was a D+. I failed it. I'm a little bit... surprised isn't the word but it's in that family of words.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Ållnephew Tvýðleþøn on June 20, 2014, 11:17:30 PM
I found out today that I am not Geneticsing enough.(<---Understatement) And that most people in the class aren't, but I am also not. And that is unacceptable. After this weekend I'm going to have to scale down anything that doesn't involve school until the end of July /beginning of August.

Actually, I leave for Chicago for a wedding the same day of my final, so, definitely August. I apologize in advance if I am ignorant of what's going on in your lives for the next month.

The average class score on the first exam was a D+. I failed it. I'm a little bit... surprised isn't the word but it's in that family of words.

Wow... I would suggest that perhaps your professor is not teaching up to the level of performance they are expecting from the class...
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on June 20, 2014, 11:27:58 PM

Wow... I would suggest that perhaps your professor is not teaching up to the level of performance they are expecting from the class...

Perhaps, but one person (one) got 100.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Sita on June 20, 2014, 05:02:51 PM
I just never answer the phone if I don't recognize the number.
Figure that if it's something important they'll leave a message.

I'm waiting for a load of wood chips, which will come from a local arborist who will call before delivering them. I also have four children who occasionally call me from friends' phones.

In this particular case, though, I knew it was a telemarketer because they've been calling every day and I'm sick of it, so I answered to tell them to stop calling me.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Ållnephew Tvýðleþøn on June 20, 2014, 11:29:53 PM

Well then. :lulz: I  don't know what to say. I haven't taken genetics yet. I'm kind of looking forward to taking it this winter, though, because it will be an opportunity to bust out my rusty-ass statistics skillz.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on June 20, 2014, 11:34:53 PM

Well then. :lulz: I  don't know what to say. I haven't taken genetics yet. I'm kind of looking forward to taking it this winter, though, because it will be an opportunity to bust out my rusty-ass statistics skillz.

Yeah, if the high score was a 70, I would've been like, it's you dude. But the high score was perfect, so, it's us. And me. After taking the exam, I wasn't expecting a good grade, but I also wasn't expecting a failing grade. Unnerved.  I think that's the word.

Nephew Twiddleton

I had this professor before, and I got a B in his class, but that was Gen Bio. So, it's good in that he knows that I'm an otherwise decent student, but I do remember some of my classmates at the time were a little bit lost on the overview on genetics in Gen Bio.

I also quite frankly blanked on the last part of the exam.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I just found out that PSU is completely revising the Biology degree requirements, and eliminating the track system for students entering Fall 2014. I'm really curious, because even though I've technically been enrolled since Spring I might be able to apply the new requirements, which would allow me to apply some of my psychology classes to my biology degree since most of the classes I'm taking in the psychology department are neurobiology.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Ållnephew Tvýðleþøn on June 20, 2014, 11:38:01 PM

Yeah, if the high score was a 70, I would've been like, it's you dude. But the high score was perfect, so, it's us. And me. After taking the exam, I wasn't expecting a good grade, but I also wasn't expecting a failing grade. Unnerved.  I think that's the word.

I could see how that would be really offputting... that moment of "Oh shit, I have to seriously up my game".

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on June 20, 2014, 11:58:27 PM
I just found out that PSU is completely revising the Biology degree requirements, and eliminating the track system for students entering Fall 2014. I'm really curious, because even though I've technically been enrolled since Spring I might be able to apply the new requirements, which would allow me to apply some of my psychology classes to my biology degree since most of the classes I'm taking in the psychology department are neurobiology.

That would be cool.

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on June 21, 2014, 12:03:28 AM
Quote from: Ållnephew Tvýðleþøn on June 20, 2014, 11:38:01 PM

I could see how that would be really offputting... that moment of "Oh shit, I have to seriously up my game".

Exactly. I feel like I'm still blinking at the test.

Nephew Twiddleton

Fortunately, despite the fact, and the shortness of the semester, I still have a chance to pull my overall grade back up. Next exam is July 2.

Nephew Twiddleton

I think this sums up the feeling of when I saw that strangely small but just as red 56.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Ållnephew Tvýðleþøn on June 21, 2014, 12:38:11 AM
I think this sums up the feeling of when I saw that strangely small but just as red 56.

Awww. :(

Nephew Twiddleton

When you do take it, it does involve a bit of stats. The way that the exam was broken up for us (not that that is indicative) was defintions for 10 points (90%), multiple choice for 65 (I got 71.1% on that section), and written answers counted for 25% and included statistical analyses (I got a -5 and a -19 on those...)

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Ållnephew Tvýðleþøn on June 21, 2014, 12:56:38 AM
When you do take it, it does involve a bit of stats. The way that the exam was broken up for us (not that that is indicative) was defintions for 10 points (90%), multiple choice for 65 (I got 71.1% on that section), and written answers counted for 25% and included statistical analyses (I got a -5 and a -19 on those...)

Yeah, stats isn't a prereq for 300-level genetics, but it's recommended in the class description. I'm thinking that I'll probably also take human genetics and recombinant DNA techniques.