News:

PD.com: our ability to recall your stupidity makes elephants look like Alzheimer's patients.

Main Menu

Academia Ghetto Thread

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, September 05, 2014, 05:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freeky

The gross entitlement people seem to feel is, as ever, awe-inspiring and astonishing.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I try to be super nice about it, and respond with things like "I don't have a file in your Dropbox for that assignment. Can you double-check to see if it's showing up on your end? If there was a technical error, you can always re-upload the file: the creation and last save date are embedded in it so we can verify that you did the assignment on time."

They never, ever do.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Vanadium Gryllz

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on December 05, 2016, 08:48:46 PM
I try to be super nice about it, and respond with things like "I don't have a file in your Dropbox for that assignment. Can you double-check to see if it's showing up on your end? If there was a technical error, you can always re-upload the file: the creation and last save date are embedded in it so we can verify that you did the assignment on time."

They never, ever do.

Dealbreaker.
"I was fine until my skin came off.  I'm never going to South Attelboro again."

LMNO

It's no consolation, but that sort of thing keep happening after they leave college, too.  The amount of times someone's clever plan breaks down because I, you know, went and looked, is flummoxing.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO on December 05, 2016, 09:26:00 PM
It's no consolation, but that sort of thing keep happening after they leave college, too.  The amount of times someone's clever plan breaks down because I, you know, went and looked, is flummoxing.

Dammit.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

I have a makefile to write and a bash script to turn in tonight. Those may be my last two assignments...ever.

I have decisions to make--but on the plus side, I'll be able to stop lying on applications after next week.
Back to the fecal matter in the pool

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: NoLeDeMiel on December 08, 2016, 02:31:57 AM
I have a makefile to write and a bash script to turn in tonight. Those may be my last two assignments...ever.

I have decisions to make--but on the plus side, I'll be able to stop lying on applications after next week.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I gave my presentation and it went well. Perhaps... TOO well.

Vanadium Gryllz

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on December 08, 2016, 04:16:36 AM

CONGRATULATIONS!?
"I was fine until my skin came off.  I'm never going to South Attelboro again."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Xaz on December 08, 2016, 10:18:46 AM

CONGRATULATIONS!?

I've been asked to present again in front of an audience of undergrads, so... YES.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on December 08, 2016, 06:51:24 PM

CONGRATULATIONS!?

I've been asked to present again in front of an audience of undergrads, so... YES.

You know... the power of presentation is AT LEAST as important as the Science itself. Anybody can theoretically work in a lab or do a field study, but it take a certain something extra to be a front person and that something is in high demand.

More power to you Nigel!
I mean this!
:banana: :magick: :banana:
:cainftw: :cainftw: :cainftw: :cainftw:  :elvis: <----- Rockstar Science Nigel
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on December 08, 2016, 08:59:07 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on December 08, 2016, 06:51:24 PM

CONGRATULATIONS!?

You know... the power of presentation is AT LEAST as important as the Science itself. Anybody can theoretically work in a lab or do a field study, but it take a certain something extra to be a front person and that something is in high demand.

More power to you Nigel!
I mean this!
:banana: :magick: :banana:
:cainftw: :cainftw: :cainftw: :cainftw:  :elvis: <----- Rockstar Science Nigel

Meh. If I wasn't good at presenting I would still publish, which disseminates the science more effectively anyway.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The one thing that drives me most insane about academia isn't the bureaucracy, which is shockingly inefficient, tedious, and time-wasting, but the fact that it's absolutely chock-full of adult babies. Not diaper wearers, but people who went to college out of high school and then never left. Sure, they got their degrees and then they went to grad school and then they got adult jobs at universities and have been doing those adult jobs for years or decades, but I think that something about the protected environment they have spent their lives in has led many of them to have very poor emotional regulation and generally to seem emotionally stunted despite being highly intellectually developed.

I'm honestly not sure I can work long-term in an environment largely populated with emotionally stunted sheltered adults who are, frankly, spoiled and lack perspective.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

This is also why I am seriously considering doing the jump to epidemiology. Public health people, like social workers, generally spend a lot of time working with people who are actually seriously fucked. It seems to help them get the fuck over themselves.

LMNO

I had eyed being a "professional student" back in the day, but now I'm glad I didn't do that.  Those people are awful.