News:

The only BEARFORCE1 slashfic forum on the Internet.  Fortunately.

Main Menu

Link No One Could Have Predicted...

Started by LMNO, September 16, 2014, 05:22:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Libertarian 'Utopia' Styled After Ayn Rand Book Spectacularly Falls Apart Almost Immediately

QuoteA community made up of American ex-pats deep in the South American hills of Chile...was supposed to be a libertarian paradise of rugged individualism. Instead it cost many of the people who bought into it almost everything, and now is buried under lawsuits...

EDIT: Upon a closer reading of the article, it fell apart because the whole thing was a scam and never really started in the first place.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on September 16, 2014, 05:22:11 PM
Libertarian 'Utopia' Styled After Ayn Rand Book Spectacularly Falls Apart Almost Immediately

QuoteA community made up of American ex-pats deep in the South American hills of Chile...was supposed to be a libertarian paradise of rugged individualism. Instead it cost many of the people who bought into it almost everything, and now is buried under lawsuits...

EDIT: Upon a closer reading of the article, it fell apart because the whole thing was a scam and never really started in the first place.

That somehow makes it even more delicious.  :lol:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on September 16, 2014, 05:22:11 PM

I believe we had a thread about this, gambling on whether or not it was a scam.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

PopeTom

Isn't that part of the Libertarian paradise though. 

People can do whatever the damn hell I want because there are no regulations.  If there is a disagreement parties solve it via litigation and everyone is happy. 

Unless of course the disagreement is along the lines of 'your product/service killed someone' since you can't litigate someone no longer dead.  Or in a case where the defense has way more money than the prosecution and can just red tape them into bankruptcy/submission.
-PopeTom

I am the result of 13.75 ± 0.13 billion years of random chance. Now that I exist I see no reason to start planning and organizing everything in my life.

Random dumb luck got me here, random dumb luck will get me to where I'm going.

Hail Eris!

Trivial

Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Trivial on September 18, 2014, 12:38:37 AM
http://iiicitadel.com/index.html

Is this real?

IIRC, yes.  It is also a scam.

The Central American one was awesomer, though, because their way of keeping creeping liberalism out of their freedom was that you wouldn't be permitted to speak about liberal things.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.