News:

That's okay, I know how to turn my washing machine into a centrifuge if need be.

Main Menu

Its been a while since I made fun of terrible things on tumblr....

Started by Cain, October 02, 2014, 11:59:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dildo Argentino

Quote from: Cain on October 03, 2014, 06:55:57 PM
Do you honestly think I'm too retarded to realise that "sex" is, in fact, a Latin word?

Nope. And I don't think that not knowing that qualifies someone for the label "retarded", either. I thought perhaps a somewhat wiser Joe may not have known it. Feel free to go to town! I maintain, however, that the "whole meaning of the word" is derived from both "homo" and "sexual". Actually. :D
Not too keen on rigor, myself - reminds me of mortis

Dildo Argentino

Quote from: Doktor Skinsaw on October 04, 2014, 05:35:07 AM
I think it's important to remember that in Dodo, we are dealing with the actual smartest user of the board; a person who knows American English better than those for whom it is their native tongue. He may not be a trained linguist or etymologist, but his years of experience translating technical documents gives him knowledge much deeper and broader than anyone who has studied English or, certainly, merely grown up speaking it.

Therefore, we should not argue with his corrections, however condescending, but instead, bow our heads before his wisdom.

Is there a name for the disorder characterised by the obsessive attribution of condescension?

Dildo Argentino

EK WAFFLR

Quote from: Dodo Argentino on October 04, 2014, 01:09:58 PM
Is there a name for the disorder characterised by the obsessive attribution of condescension?

Fuck right off, Dodo.
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I think it's important to remember that in Dodo, we are dealing with the actual smartest user of the board; a person who knows American English better than those for whom it is their native tongue. He may not be a trained linguist or etymologist, but his years of experience translating technical documents gives him knowledge much deeper and broader than anyone who has studied English or, certainly, merely grown up speaking it.

Therefore, we should not argue with his corrections, however condescending, but instead, bow our heads before his wisdom.

No, but there is one for the disorder characterized by limited or absent theory of mind, including but not limited to the inability to understand why other people will perceive certain statements and behavior as condescending. It's called "autism".
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Dildo Argentino

Quote from: Your Mom on October 04, 2014, 03:22:31 PM

No, but there is one for the disorder characterized by limited or absent theory of mind, including but not limited to the inability to understand why other people will perceive certain statements and behavior as condescending. It's called "autism".

I think I had "inferiority complex" in mind. :) I wasn't 100% sure about it (as I am sure the venerable Cain was!), so I looked up the etymology of 'homosexual'. I found a funny quote, so I thought I'd share it... primarily with Joe, who seemed interested.

Supposing I were autistic... what exactly would repeatedly rubbing my nose in it accomplish? And... would I be morally culpable?

Dildo Argentino

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dodo Argentino on October 06, 2014, 11:26:53 AM

I think I had "inferiority complex" in mind. :) I wasn't 100% sure about it (as I am sure the venerable Cain was!), so I looked up the etymology of 'homosexual'. I found a funny quote, so I thought I'd share it... primarily with Joe, who seemed interested.

Supposing I were autistic... what exactly would repeatedly rubbing my nose in it accomplish? And... would I be morally culpable?

The interesting thing is that the lack of theory of mind only becomes a massive social liability when it's combined with the kind of hubris that insists on denying other people's experience, as in when the affected person is under the delusional belief that they know more about what others are experiencing than they themselves do. So while the deficit itself is not a character or moral flaw, the arrogance of insisting that one's behavior is not condescending, and refusing to modify it accordingly despite being told repeatedly that others are perceiving it as such, is.

LMNO

It pleases me how recursive the above post is, in that it addresses some of the very problems brought to light in the OP, while simultaneously thoroughly answering Dodo's question.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 06, 2014, 03:38:59 PM
It pleases me how recursive the above post is, in that it addresses some of the very problems brought to light in the OP, while simultaneously thoroughly answering Dodo's question.

:lol:

The Wizard Joseph

You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Dildo Argentino

Quote from: Your Mom on October 06, 2014, 03:31:03 PM
Quote from: Dodo Argentino on October 06, 2014, 11:26:53 AM

The interesting thing is that the lack of theory of mind only becomes a massive social liability when it's combined with the kind of hubris that insists on denying other people's experience, as in when the affected person is under the delusional belief that they know more about what others are experiencing than they themselves do.

I think you are wrong there, and doubly so. Firstly, either way, combined with hubris or not, the lack of a theory of mind, as exhibited by severely autistic people, is a massive social liability. More interestingly, it seems practically tautological that having a theory of mind is a necessary condition for having the delusional belief that one knows more about what others are experiencing than they themselves do. In order to have experiences, you need to have mind. So, in order to attribute experiences to others, you need to have a theory of mind that you apply to them. So, I think, one could have the delusional belief about others that you were describing, or one could suffer from autism, but not both at the same time. :)

Quote from: Your Mom on October 06, 2014, 03:31:03 PM
So while the deficit itself is not a character or moral flaw, the arrogance of insisting that one's behavior is not condescending, and refusing to modify it accordingly despite being told repeatedly that others are perceiving it as such, is.

Given the above, we're left with the assertion that the arrogance of insisting that one's behaviour is not condescending, and refusing to modify it accordingly despite being told repeatedly that others are perceiving it as such, is a character or moral flaw.

I think that very much depends on whether those others perceive correctly or not. Is arrogance in the eye of the beholder? I think that's going too far. It seems clearly possible to be wrong about whether another person is arrogant (cultural mismatch, rather different linguistic habits, lack of sufficient communication for a robust conclusion... there are probably other possible reasons.

Is it possible to be condescending without noticing? I think that's a question of definition. We can decide whether the intention to condescend is an essential part of the concept or not. I think I prefer to say yes to that question and call a person who appears to be condescending without intending to be condescending just socially inept, sometimes even naive (early teens are very good at this) - this way, it is much easier to learn not to take offence.

In this particular instance, I had no intention to be condescending. There have been other times, when I permitted myself to use a condescening tone on this forum: when I thought that the views I encountered (correctly or incorrectly) were not only wrong, but really laughably so, or when I was responding to abusive condescension. Much the same has been done to me, repeatedly, in fact, it seems to be done to most newcomers, which is puzzling, hence interesting... I've been told that while I do not experience myself as an aspie, I am in fact one, I was told that while I do not experience myself as a racist person, I am in fact one, I was told that while I do not experience myself as arrogant and have no intention of being arrogant, I am in fact continuously insufferably arrogant. One of the last times this happened, I was accused of obliquely responding to Alty's relationship troubles in an insensitive, rude and downright rotten fashion, which I wasn't... but I was told that I was. Quite likely (well, unless I am just ignored, which is also a strong possibility), I will now be told that I am lying. Are those character or moral flaws as well?

The fact is, after some ups and downs, several of the most vocal members decided that I was an arrogant attention-seeking prick not worth any attention, unless, possibly, as a target for abuse to alleviate boredom. Hooray.

LMNO

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Dodo Argentino on October 06, 2014, 07:06:03 PM

YAWN

Tldr... but

The fact is, after some ups and downs, several of the most vocal members decided that I was an arrogant attention-seeking prick not worth any attention, unless, possibly, as a target for abuse to alleviate boredom. Hooray.

So if you feel unappreciated or abused leave. The door swings both ways right?

I appreciate that you sought to answer my simple off topic question, but you could have gone with "hey Joe, looked it up. It's used in both. Link= httpwhatever."
You just go on... here for you:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laconic_phrase

You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl