News:

PD.com: "the lot of you are some of the most vicious, name calling, vile examples of humanity I've had the misfortune of attempting to communicate with.  Even attempting to mimic the general mood of the place toward people who think differently leaves a slimy feel on my skin.  Reptilian, even."

Main Menu

Aya

Started by Dildo Argentino, November 26, 2014, 11:33:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on November 29, 2014, 04:46:18 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on November 28, 2014, 08:13:32 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on November 28, 2014, 08:12:26 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on November 28, 2014, 08:09:06 PM
Quote from: Hoopla on November 28, 2014, 08:07:38 PM
In a society where sitting around for justice is bad, but sitting around for a cheap television is good... What could possibly go wrong?

Well, the oceans could turn to acid.

That's pretty much where my mind was at. And it's the scariest thing I've thought of in a long, long time.

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2014/07/great-american-oyster-collapse-2014720132433957401.html

As best as I can figure - bear in mind that I am not a climatologist - we're in a race between acid oceans or salvation via ice age.

Cold water sinks even more CO2. :)

Well, yes, and then it goes to the bottom muck and it's someone else's problem after the ice age, right?  I mean, that's why the permafrost is farting CO2 out like it ate lengua the night before.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on November 29, 2014, 02:30:46 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on November 29, 2014, 04:46:18 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on November 28, 2014, 08:13:32 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on November 28, 2014, 08:12:26 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on November 28, 2014, 08:09:06 PM
Quote from: Hoopla on November 28, 2014, 08:07:38 PM
In a society where sitting around for justice is bad, but sitting around for a cheap television is good... What could possibly go wrong?

Well, the oceans could turn to acid.

That's pretty much where my mind was at. And it's the scariest thing I've thought of in a long, long time.

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2014/07/great-american-oyster-collapse-2014720132433957401.html

As best as I can figure - bear in mind that I am not a climatologist - we're in a race between acid oceans or salvation via ice age.

Cold water sinks even more CO2. :)

Well, yes, and then it goes to the bottom muck and it's someone else's problem after the ice age, right?  I mean, that's why the permafrost is farting CO2 out like it ate lengua the night before.

Not exactly; all that acidified water eventually upwells and wreaks even greater havoc on organisms that require a calcium exoskeleton.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: P3nT4gR4m on November 29, 2014, 08:47:18 AM
I've heard a few people saying that we're past the tipping point now. Even if the whole planet quit burning fossil fuel and dumping shit in the ocean tomorrow, it'd be too late. Maybe science will save us

Part of me hopes it doesn't because the inevitable public consensus will then become "See - climate change was a myth after all"  :argh!:

Every ecological projection I've seen in the last year says we're past it. But there's always a chance that the ecologists are wrong!

It's never too late to hope to be wrong.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Cain

This is exactly the sort of stuff I was talking about a couple of years ago, in that thread where I said we were all fucked.

We're all fucked, by the way.

Ben Shapiro

Just remove the gluten from the acidic water.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on November 29, 2014, 03:48:40 PM
This is exactly the sort of stuff I was talking about a couple of years ago, in that thread where I said we were all fucked.

Yes, I would tend to agree.

xXRon_Paul_42016Xxx(weed)

Quote from: Metal Bear on November 29, 2014, 03:57:22 PM
Just remove the gluten from the acidic water.

If all the fish just went Vegan there would be no problem.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Why can't the water just remember how to be less acidic?

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on November 29, 2014, 04:49:05 PM

At that level of dilution, we'll just all become immune to acid. Hydrofluoric acid baths for everyone!
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on November 29, 2014, 05:31:59 PM

At that level of dilution, we'll just all become immune to acid. Hydrofluoric acid baths for everyone!

Oysters should be immune to acid by now, then! Maybe we just need to wait a few more years.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on November 29, 2014, 05:41:36 PM
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on November 29, 2014, 05:31:59 PM

Oysters should be immune to acid by now, then! Maybe we just need to wait a few more years.

Don't be ridiculous, oysters don't have the cognitive ability for the placebo effect to take hold.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Cain

...said it's friends on Facebook.

Cain

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on November 29, 2014, 03:59:50 PM
Quote from: Cain on November 29, 2014, 03:48:40 PM

Yes, I would tend to agree.

Found the thread, by the way.  Has some fairly graphic descriptions of the kind of fallout we could see from 2, 4 and 6 celsius global temperature rises.