News:

It's like that horrible screech you get when the microphone is positioned too close to a speaker, only with cops.

Main Menu

OPEN BAR: NO CISNORMATIVE ELVEN PATRIARCHS ALLOWED

Started by Cain, January 22, 2015, 08:40:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

axod

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on February 19, 2015, 11:34:46 PM
Quote from: axod on February 19, 2015, 09:57:02 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on February 19, 2015, 06:49:07 AM
I am absolutely exhausted and should not still be up.

Got confirmation for the Peru trip today.

Next up: Losing 20 lbs so I don't stroke out and die in the Andes.

And then, I'm always a fan of engaging in colorful local customs and regional remedies as well, known to to be effective for adapting to altitude.  Apparently the social climate round transit hubs in Lima is one thing to avoid, IIRC, no need to make any friends at bus/plane/train stations.  I'm sure you know this already, I kind of just wanted to participate by proxy in that adventure :). Have lots of too for us as well

I'm pretty much going to spend the whole time in a Quechua village trying to survive altitude sickness.

(for reference, I was born and have spent my entire life between 10 and 100 meters above sea level).
I can relate to that, sure beats going 50m down below sea-level, at least there'll be plenty of light :)
just this

The Wizard Joseph

So since conceiving of a Spartan philosopher character and running him through several story scenarios in my head I've been on a bit of a research kick looking into the pre-war history between Athens and Sparta.
I've chosen a setting between Leonidas at Thermopylae @ 480BC and the fall of Athens' high culture(but sadly not war drive) not long after the death of the General-Scholar Pericles from untimely plague at the beginning of the Peloponnesian War.

The unnamed protagonist is selected from the best young, well educated nobility to represent Sparta in Athens. My fiction is that a symposium of sorts had been called by the Athenian leadership so that each region of Greece might "send an exemplar to grow in knowledge and demonstrate the wisdom of their homelands." The Spartan delegate  comes to be known as Anomos by the population of Athens. The word means "without rule" and he is called this because he utterly refuses to speak and is in all other ways atrociously rude of demeanor. He is most commonly simply referred to as 'The Spartan' as culturally intact Spartans I envision as being QUITE rare in Athens at the time.

I posted a short taster story in one of Nigel' threads. It's just an unfinished fragment, but it gives the gist of his style.

this thread...

http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=37166.msg1370879#msg1370879

about a fictitious philosopher from a game provoked me to flesh out the brief image in my mind Anomos started as years ago.

I saw a Spartan warrior walking around a spent battlefield smiling pleasantly and humming a very pretty, if mournful, tune I'd never heard before as he put down, one by one with spear tip to heart or jugular, all the enemy survivors he found wounded and dying. Since fleshing him out the scene expanded some to show him placing a marked stone in the mouth of each. He is sending them to Hades personally in the hope that the dark god will accept the tribute and treat his murdered mother and dishonored father well. He really is a sweet guy.

This image would be from some point before he is ordered to Athens by his King to participate in the symposium with the paradoxical order to "learn, slay none, honor Sparta". Somehow. This is part of why he won't speak. Words not said can not be twisted to disgrace. He also feels truly culturally superior, especially early in the story, and will not sully himself with pointless banter as the Athenians do.

Thought I'd let all yalls know what I'm working on. If I post weird little vignettes or other things about a Spartan around the forum it just me polishing the character. I like him almost as much as the Wizard, and want to write the story of Anomos first both as practice writing and because it's much shorter and I feel I need to show myself I can complete a written story.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 21, 2015, 06:56:35 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on February 21, 2015, 06:53:30 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 21, 2015, 06:46:45 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on February 21, 2015, 06:41:18 AM
The people in my Psychopharmacology class have started telling their Personal Stories.  :kingmeh:

Best to jerk that shit up short.

The sad thing is that I CAN'T. If I was TA in this class I could be all "LET'S STAY ON TRACK OK" but I'm not. :( :( :(

Wait for them after the class.  Behave badly.

Hahaha I kind of already am.

They just give me wounded looks.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Sung Low

For what it's worth, I fucking love you!

Seriously  :)
The d key has chosen to absent itself

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Wizard Joseph

And just what IS your love worth in real market terms Sung Low?  :lol:
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Wizard Joseph

I just read about a fellow named Lycurgus.

Lycurgus is Batman.

I'm pretty sure.

ETA....

.... anarchy and confusion long prevailed in Sparta, causing, moreover, the death of the father of Lycurgus. For as he was endeavouring to quell a riot, he was stabbed with a butcher's knife, and left the title of king to his eldest son, Polydectes.    - Plutarch, about 900 years after the fact

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Sung Low

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on February 22, 2015, 05:45:10 PM
:lol: Thanks?

You're welcome!

Sometimes the direct approach works best  :lol:

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on February 22, 2015, 06:13:56 PM

It can be hard to tell. I mean, I took my love down to the supermarket to buy some tobacco the other day but the lady behind the counter just looked a bit confused and insisted on actual currency. On the other hand it does get me free booze and food sometimes, so who knows?
The d key has chosen to absent itself

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Sung Low on February 23, 2015, 06:17:08 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on February 22, 2015, 05:45:10 PM
:lol: Thanks?

You're welcome!

Sometimes the direct approach works best  :lol:

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on February 22, 2015, 06:13:56 PM

It can be hard to tell. I mean, I took my love down to the supermarket to buy some tobacco the other day but the lady behind the counter just looked a bit confused and insisted on actual currency. On the other hand it does get me free booze and food sometimes, so who knows?

:lulz:

Cain

I wasn't sure about Sung Low at first.

Now however, I can state with confidence that he will be among the last thrown out of the airlock.

Doktor Howl

My limbs don't work.   I am typing this with a sex toy.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on February 24, 2015, 01:27:08 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 24, 2015, 12:13:32 AM
My limbs don't work.   I am typing this with a sex toy.

:lulz: What the hell?

Keelin mocked me in the gym, so I overdid it.  Now I feel like I've been beaten by Irish people.
Molon Lube

Chelagoras The Boulder

So the kids seem to have pieced together that this is my last week as their teacher. Some of them seem like they might actually miss me, which makes me kinda sad to see them go, knowing i touched their lives, even if it was for only a few months.....

then i remember the level of bullshit that comes with this job, and the ones who conspired to get me fired, and I count the days till friday
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

Cain

Fuck those little shits.  Make them work in silence for the rest of the week.

After recovering from my bout of flu, I managed to catch a cold.  Which was...ironic, I guess?  Everyone else also has it, which makes a nice change up from the flu...and I seem to be recovering faster.  Boosted immune system from previous illness?  Not complaining.