News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "At least Satanists HAVE a worldview. After reading this thread, I'm convinced that discordians not only don't, but will actively mock anyone who does."

Main Menu

Music challenge

Started by LMNO, January 29, 2015, 07:51:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

So, I'm doing the RPM Challenge, which is sort of like NaNoWriMo, but for music.

http://rpmchallenge.com/

10 Songs, or 35 minutes of music created in February.

Yes, I know I can loop one pattern for 35 minutes.  It may come to that.  I could also record myself snoring and send it through a delay and distortion pedal.  I may do that.

Anyway, I'll keep you updated.

Reginald Ret

Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on January 29, 2015, 07:51:54 PM
So, I'm doing the RPM Challenge, which is sort of like NaNoWriMo, but for music.

http://rpmchallenge.com/

10 Songs, or 35 minutes of music created in February.

Yes, I know I can loop one pattern for 35 minutes.  It may come to that.  I could also record myself snoring and send it through a delay and distortion pedal.  I may do that.

Anyway, I'll keep you updated.

Excellent! I look forward to the results.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

RPM challenge, day 1.

Spent some time working with the iPad Rebirth drum machine sequencer.

It's got a 808, a 909, and two 303s.  Basically, two classic drum machines and a pair of rudimetary sequencers.  And there's something about learning the ins and outs of a drum machine that lends itself to dance music.  So, I let it take me where it would.  Not sure where it'll end up, but it's got some hooks to it.

LMNO

RPM challenge, day 2.

Not much done, but got some soundbites.  At least it was something.

LMNO

Day 3: During my lunch break, created new bassline up a fourth, and tried out an overlapping rhythm pattern.  Might need to thin in out a bit, leave some space.

LMNO

Days 4 and 5: Recorded three tracks by Whirlpools, and bounced three rough scratch tracks.  Sound quality is good, so overdubs shouldn't be too difficult.  That's about 13 minutes of music, right there.

LMNO

Day 6: More voicever recording at a cocktail party.  I get the feeling that weekends are going to be tricky.

LMNO

These snowstorms are fucking with my production schedule.  Managed to do some basic mixing on one of the Whirlpools songs, though.

Nephew Twiddleton

This is an interesting idea.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

minuspace

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on February 03, 2015, 06:41:00 PM
Day 3: During my lunch break, created new bassline up a fourth, and tried out an overlapping rhythm pattern.  Might need to thin in out a bit, leave some space.
I've been trying to focus on that recently, was doing some deep listening to the first track on Caustic Window, and it's like all the sounds fit together just right, with the right proportion of space so it can breathe - I always get a little eager and end up smothering things too much.  I don't know how to carve out all that negative space yet...  I was thinking 8-band eq, bandpass, and multi compression?

LMNO

Fewer instruments; limited individual bandwidths; panning; dynamics.

LMNO

Also, panned mono reverbs.

minuspace

Cool, imma gonna try that.  Noticed that my tracks with "auto-pan" have much more detailed presence...  Was also thinking about expanding repertoire of dedicated hardware instruments, like their occupying a discrete position in meat-space would somehow translate to sonic spectrum...  Ooh and on that note, just downloaded Metasynth demo, routing through sound flower, so currently fully functional, for now.  I think I'm having my third Aphex-Twin crush.

LMNO

Steely Dan might not be cool, but listen to their albums for engineering ideas. That had some cool shit going on with instrument isolations.