News:

Testimonial: "It's just honestly sad that a place like this exists"

Main Menu

Long time no see

Started by Cuddlefish, May 14, 2015, 06:13:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuddlefish

So, I've been crazy busy with school for the past, well, seems like forever. But, I'm done for the time being.

I've been assisting in teaching categorical and symbolic logic for a while now (the average student's score has increased by around 20 points since I've been teaching), and I've reconstructed a traditional logic model called the square of opposition to require fewer rules and to be over-all easier to teach. I mentioned a little something about it a while ago, but it hadn't been finished and I didn't want the word to get out until it was. But, it's finished now. The square hasn't been changed in over a hundred years, so it's a fairly big deal.  My paper is on the URI digital commons site, so I figured I'd drop a link if anyone was interested.

Other than that: Hi!

http://digitalcommons.uri.edu/srhonorsprog/408/
A fisher of men, or a manner of fish?

MMIX

"Dimo's Square". Wow dude, how cool is that?
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cuddlefish on May 14, 2015, 06:13:08 PM
So, I've been crazy busy with school for the past, well, seems like forever. But, I'm done for the time being.

I've been assisting in teaching categorical and symbolic logic for a while now (the average student's score has increased by around 20 points since I've been teaching), and I've reconstructed a traditional logic model called the square of opposition to require fewer rules and to be over-all easier to teach. I mentioned a little something about it a while ago, but it hadn't been finished and I didn't want the word to get out until it was. But, it's finished now. The square hasn't been changed in over a hundred years, so it's a fairly big deal.  My paper is on the URI digital commons site, so I figured I'd drop a link if anyone was interested.

Sounds awesome!

But what about the PUNK SHOW?  You haven't allowed that to slip, I trust?
Molon Lube

Cuddlefish

New album should be out in a few weeks. It's very good.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cuddlefish on May 14, 2015, 06:22:48 PM

I assume you will be posting purchasing details here.
Molon Lube

Cuddlefish

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 14, 2015, 06:29:11 PM
Quote from: Cuddlefish on May 14, 2015, 06:22:48 PM

I assume you will be posting purchasing details here.

Oh yes, there will be digital downloads available, plus I think we'll have it streaming for free. Not sure yet on the details, we send it out tomorrow to get pressed/printed.

LMNO

That's really cool, Dimo.  Is this just something you came up with, or is it for a masters or doctorate?

Cuddlefish

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on May 14, 2015, 06:32:41 PM
That's really cool, Dimo.  Is this just something you came up with, or is it for a masters or doctorate?

It's currently a senior honors project, but I'm going to fix it up a bit to use as a writing sample for when I apply for grad school. I may even get it published.

LMNO

I'm gonna try and read it and see if it makes sense to this muddled brain.

Cuddlefish

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on May 14, 2015, 07:33:10 PM
I'm gonna try and read it and see if it makes sense to this muddled brain.

It's not overly technical, though it might only seem that way from my pov.

And in a side note: the album was just shipped to get pressed, so we'll have it ready to go in a week or two.

Cain

Urgh, I remember this from when I did logic.

We went straight for Aristotle in our class, didn't even look at Boole or Frege.  And yes, it was pretty complex, especially for first year students.  I barely scraped more than a pass out of that particular module, and I had two years of logic under my belt previous to that.  Admittedly, I was distracted by the brunette from IR in the third row as well...

Of course, you realize you will have to call your theory Dimo's Squares, don't you?  And this will open the door to triangles and rectangles and possibly even circles as philosophers attempt to one-up your very helpful simplification.

Cuddlefish

Quote from: Cain on May 15, 2015, 11:23:21 PM
Urgh, I remember this from when I did logic.

We went straight for Aristotle in our class, didn't even look at Boole or Frege.  And yes, it was pretty complex, especially for first year students.  I barely scraped more than a pass out of that particular module, and I had two years of logic under my belt previous to that.  Admittedly, I was distracted by the brunette from IR in the third row as well...

Of course, you realize you will have to call your theory Dimo's Squares, don't you?  And this will open the door to triangles and rectangles and possibly even circles as philosophers attempt to one-up your very helpful simplification.

I personally think that it is beneficial to learn Aristotelian logic, it's just that most people who understand it are not very good teachers. I made some waves in the department by "out-teaching" the professor, and I developed a whole slew of other pedagogical devices to increase efficacy in the classroom, not just the one I wrote the paper on. It got to the point that, on many occasions, he would just let me lecture (which was pretty boss experience, I have to admit).

As far as the other shapes go, Venn has the circles covered (but I have some things I'm working on in regards to the problem of existential import that might make Venn totally and completely irrelevant. In addition, a lot of Boole might have to go as a side effect).

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Dimo! Nice to see you, and nice work! I haven't read it through but I'm downloading it for after finals.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cuddlefish

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on May 16, 2015, 03:10:12 AM

Dimo! Nice to see you, and nice work! I haven't read it through but I'm downloading it for after finals.

Hey Nigel. Still kicking ass, I presume?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cuddlefish on May 17, 2015, 01:45:32 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on May 16, 2015, 03:10:12 AM

Hey Nigel. Still kicking ass, I presume?

Pretty much, although right now today at this very moment I should be studying for a Cell Bio midterm instead of slacking off on the internet.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."