News:

Bigotry is abound, apprently, within these boards.  There is a level of supposed tolerance I will have no part of.  Obviously, it seems to be well-embraced here.  I have finally found something more fucked up than what I'm used to.  Congrats. - Ruby

Main Menu

OPEN BAR: It's actually about ethics in fictional bars

Started by EK WAFFLR, August 10, 2015, 03:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on August 14, 2015, 08:35:37 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 14, 2015, 07:24:50 PM
Hell in a Dry Place is going up today, if I can figure out what to use as a cover.

Also, NIGEL:  Can you locate the LO w/spider pic?  The one I have didn't survive transferring from one laptop to another when the hard drive failed.  That will be the cover for volume I.

I still need covers for Vol II (The Engines of Creation) and Vol III (Armageddon).

Here's the page for it, if it's not big enough I'm sure b has a bigger version: http://bijijoo.com/2011/ophelia-and-her-spider

b just got married last week, by the way! His bride is a delightful woman, also a good friend, and they are a beautiful and charming couple.

1.  Thanks!

2.  That's great.  Having stumbled into the right person myself, I am very happy that he has done the same.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

I have to delete the web address on the pic (hyperlinks aren't permitted on covers).  I will put it in the afterword.
Molon Lube

Chelagoras The Boulder

going to my uncles funeral tomorrow. In a related note, my anxiety and depression have taken this as an opportunity to come out swinging. I am now not only sad about my uncles passing but also moody about a dozen other unrelated things that have me muttering to myself like a madman around the house.
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Hoopla on August 14, 2015, 07:24:50 AM
So, tonight, while bartending, a wine glass flew off its rack to the floor, untouched. I was six feet away, and nobody else was behind the bar. The four people sitting at the bar all saw the same thing I did, apparently.

Not suggesting anything other than that it was fucking weird.

There were reasonable explanations earlier ITT given and I'd go with those... as long as things stay all reasonable.

If it happens 2 more times under diverse circumstances, things flying around untouched, then just maybe take that advice from Howl about NOT asking what it wants seriously, salt the bar, doors, windows, and mirrors, and call the Winchester brothers. If patrons wonder what all the salt is about tell them it's extreme tequila shots night.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on August 15, 2015, 02:00:45 AM
Quote from: Hoopla on August 14, 2015, 07:24:50 AM
So, tonight, while bartending, a wine glass flew off its rack to the floor, untouched. I was six feet away, and nobody else was behind the bar. The four people sitting at the bar all saw the same thing I did, apparently.

Not suggesting anything other than that it was fucking weird.

There were reasonable explanations earlier ITT given and I'd go with those... as long as things stay all reasonable.

If it happens 2 more times under diverse circumstances, things flying around untouched, then just maybe take that advice from Howl about NOT asking what it wants seriously, salt the bar, doors, windows, and mirrors, and call the Winchester brothers. If patrons wonder what all the salt is about tell them it's extreme tequila shots night.

Fuck that.  You spread the rumor that the place is haunted, and haul in the long green.

Might want to spread that rumor anyway.
Molon Lube

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on August 14, 2015, 11:10:47 PM
going to my uncles funeral tomorrow. In a related note, my anxiety and depression have taken this as an opportunity to come out swinging. I am now not only sad about my uncles passing but also moody about a dozen other unrelated things that have me muttering to myself like a madman around the house.

That sucks. I hope all that turmoil runs its course soon.

Extended family gatherings often stir up a lot for me. Even though it never explicitly turns into a competition of who's doing the best in life, I often feel like a bag of shit anyway.

Almost always, everyone is great to be around so I attribute a lot of this perceived judgment as a projection of some insecurity I haven't quite figured out.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Chelagoras The Boulder

Quote from: N E T on August 15, 2015, 04:15:10 AM

That sucks. I hope all that turmoil runs its course soon.

Extended family gatherings often stir up a lot for me. Even though it never explicitly turns into a competition of who's doing the best in life, I often feel like a bag of shit anyway.

Almost always, everyone is great to be around so I attribute a lot of this perceived judgment as a projection of some insecurity I haven't quite figured out.
Thanks. the worst part is i can already notice myself getting snippier than usual with almost everyone, yet i cant seem to completely stop myself from being that way. Hopefully this will calm down after the funeral.
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

Cain

Split the thread, since the old one was at 100+.  Couldn't think of a decent title for this one, so this will have to do.

And to celebrate, here is a video of a magma dragon pooping all over me.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on August 15, 2015, 03:06:50 PM
Split the thread, since the old one was at 100+.  Couldn't think of a decent title for this one, so this will have to do.

:lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I'm sorry to hear that. :(
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I hate human beings today. I'm not sure how to even function, because I hate them so much.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on August 15, 2015, 04:31:31 PM
I hate human beings today. I'm not sure how to even function, because I hate them so much.

Was it something specific that the humans did recently?
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on August 15, 2015, 05:35:54 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on August 15, 2015, 04:31:31 PM

Was it something specific that the humans did recently?

No, it's something they've been doing all along.

Cain

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on August 15, 2015, 04:22:19 PM
Quote from: Cain on August 15, 2015, 03:06:50 PM

:lulz:

Deadly Dragons + Dragon Combat Overhaul makes dragon fights exciting.  And by exciting, I mean terrifying.  If I hadn't been wearing armour that gave me the capped resistance to fire damage (90%), plus a bunch of potions I took before I started recording, that would've been like my previous fight - painful, frustrating and full of screenshake and burning rocks falling from the sky.

Assuming those are burning rocks and not flaming dragon poop.  Will confirm with mod author.

Doktor Howl

Hell in a Dry Place is up on Smashwords, waiting for the error messages to pop up.

Depending how you want the books, it looks more and more like smashwords is the way to go.  It's less convenient at first (you have to open an account), but it maintains a cloud library for you like Nook & Kindle do, and when you download to laptop or whatever, you can then move it to an e-reader.

Still waiting for Nook to get off of their arses.

On Smashwords.com, I am listed as Roger Penrose, and the three books available at the moment are My Girl Friday, The Paesors, and Hell in a Dry Place.

Little Orange continues.  I still expect to have it up by Wednesday, if not sooner.

Nigel, you of course get a free copy, but I can only do that at Smashwords.  I will send you a coupon for the book once two conditions have been met:

1.  The book is uploaded and accepted, and
2.  You have an account at Smashwords and link me to it (doesn't cost anything).
Molon Lube