OPEN BAR: Tough on bars, tough on the causes of bars

Started by Cain, November 10, 2015, 12:36:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

To be honest, if I was sent to Svalbard for my job, I'd want to fuck over the rest of humanity and another sentient species entirely into the bargain.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on December 31, 2015, 05:40:36 PM
To be honest, if I was sent to Svalbard for my job, I'd want to fuck over the rest of humanity and another sentient species entirely into the bargain.

I concur, and where I am is nowhere near as bad.

Thing that makes me laugh is that the old expression, "It is suicidal to yell in the jungle" is now obsolete, on account of we're walking through said jungle with a boom box on our shoulder, blasting out ads for inedible shit in air-packed bags.

We're just asking for it, really.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Meunster on December 30, 2015, 04:23:15 AM
Quote from: Faust on December 29, 2015, 05:17:37 PM
As in bucket list or holidays?

A spiritual bucket list to be my chaotic, nihilistic, assholey self, before I go and get values like loyalty, honor, and honesty installed in my hard drive.

20 days till basic training. I know it won't change who I am completely, but it's going to change some of my core values so I want to give this me a good send off, before a better person steps up and takes his place.

Good luck with that, I hope it teaches you how to accomplish what you want to accomplish and how to become the person you want to become.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on December 31, 2015, 01:58:26 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on December 30, 2015, 01:15:43 AM
In my social circles the only acceptable form of communication is slowly sipping your whiskey and staring grimly into the distance.

:fap:

It's definitely working for us.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I'm supposed to be getting paid for writing stuff, so I should be writing. Instead, I'm eating cheese and procrastinating going to the bathroom.

Ahhhh, winter break!

Cain

Quote from: Wet mop not required on December 31, 2015, 05:42:55 PM

Thing that makes me laugh is that the old expression, "It is suicidal to yell in the jungle" is now obsolete, on account of we're walking through said jungle with a boom box on our shoulder, blasting out ads for inedible shit in air-packed bags.

It'll be alright.

When they invade and realize they'll be fighting a military that has willing given weapons to Meunster, they will reconsider.

LMNO

Cain

If anyone's super bored and staying in this New Year's Eve, I threw up six new videos on Youtube.  Also starting recording my Requiem playthrough tonight...videos should start appearing from tomorrow sometimes.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Cain on December 31, 2015, 10:24:59 PM
Quote from: Wet mop not required on December 31, 2015, 05:42:55 PM

It'll be alright.

When they invade and realize they'll be fighting a military that has willing given weapons to Meunster, they will reconsider.

:lulz:
A superpower's got to keep the other nations on their toes, but at what price? Weaponized Meunster is both cheap and effective!
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Meunster

Well, I going in for more of a paper work job, but letting me into a beuracracy is probably just as terrifying.
Poe's law ;)

Cain

Alright, started the Requiem playthrough.  Finally overcome my inertia and done some recording.  Just an intro up for now, but more on the way.

Cain

Shop talk from the office: a student who has been staying here for the last 3 months had a persecutory/somatic psychotic break in front of arriving students and parents. Was convinced someone was performing surgery on him in his room at night. Luckily it occured during a shift change, so two members of staff were present, but this is yet another case where someone's medical condition has not been disclosed to us while putting them under our care. It's also at least the 6th student in the last 12 months with serious mental health concerns.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on January 02, 2016, 12:44:15 PM
Shop talk from the office: a student who has been staying here for the last 3 months had a persecutory/somatic psychotic break in front of arriving students and parents. Was convinced someone was performing surgery on him in his room at night. Luckily it occured during a shift change, so two members of staff were present, but this is yet another case where someone's medical condition has not been disclosed to us while putting them under our care. It's also at least the 6th student in the last 12 months with serious mental health concerns.

Isn't that illegal?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Not telling staff about a student's serious mental illness issues, I m ean?

Cain

Possibly.  The colleges will no doubt claim since all our students are of adult age (they stick them in here as soon as they turn 18.  As in, on their birthday) and that they (most likely) advertise the building as independent accommodation, that the students in question are not strictly speaking under our direct care, and thus it would be a violation of their privacy to inform us of their medical conditions.  This is ridiculous on a number of levels, not least that I'm the designated first aider on my shift and thus I should know simply for the purposes of emergency treatment about ongoing medical conditions.

The colleges may also claim they were not informed by the student or their parents.  This is occasionally the case, with certain cultures and individuals, but if they are being treated in the UK, the chance that the college doesn't know about it (because of the impact it would have on their studies) is perishingly low.

Furthermore, it's a matter of record, from our line manager, that we are "House Parents" to all students in this building, and thus have a duty of care.

I know for certain that we had a student somewhere on the autistic spectrum, which the college was aware of, but they did not inform us.  So I wouldn't be surprised if they neglected to inform us of many, many other things we should know.