News:

PD.com: We occur at random among your children.

Main Menu

UK General Election 8th June: Shake it all about?

Started by Vanadium Gryllz, February 23, 2016, 02:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

altered

Everything about this has gone from horrifying to hilarious recently.

At first it resembled a bunch of horrid cretins burying the underclasses in their feces, now it looks like they may not have even succeeded in that lofty goal and indeed are drowning in that foulest of poo themselves.

I wish I lived there right now. Maybe I could pelt cabinet members with frozen peas and get away with it in a months time.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Cain

We still have to put up with another 2 days of debate before the vote next week.

What will happen:

- Parliament will reject the deal
- Everyone will rush to come up with a new deal
- There will be no consensus for any of these deals, because they are all either crap, insane, will never be agreed to by the EU or do not pander to the fantasies sold to the British public for well over 2 decades now.  Certainly none of them will appeal to more than any 30 given MPs.
- No-one will actually challenge May for the leadership, because, you know, poison chalice
- There will not be a general election.  There will not be a second referendum.
- Everyone will stare at each other gormlessly until we crash out of the EU without a deal in place

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on December 06, 2018, 05:28:10 PM
We still have to put up with another 2 days of debate before the vote next week.

What will happen:

- Parliament will reject the deal
- Everyone will rush to come up with a new deal
- There will be no consensus for any of these deals, because they are all either crap, insane, will never be agreed to by the EU or do not pander to the fantasies sold to the British public for well over 2 decades now.  Certainly none of them will appeal to more than any 30 given MPs.
- No-one will actually challenge May for the leadership, because, you know, poison chalice
- There will not be a general election.  There will not be a second referendum.
- Everyone will stare at each other gormlessly until we crash out of the EU without a deal in place

This never fails to amaze me.  NOBODY benefits from Brexit, it's a nonstop trainwreck of epic proportions, and all they have to do is STOP.  But they can't, because they lack the moral courage to do so.
Molon Lube

Faust

The three amendments last night (provided the EU says the UK can withdraw article 50 unilaterally) could allow ministers to cancel brexit if they thought there was no other outcome then "No Deal"
Then the UK could stay, and blame the EU forever (which they were probably going to do anyway).
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Cain

We still have to wait for the final comment from the European Courts on that (which incidentally occurs on Monday, the day before the vote), but yes.

Roger, what I keep on hearing, not just from TV but from actual people in the civil service and pub talk in Westminster (so...people in the civil service) is that this is The Will Of The People.  They've worked up the crazies, the hard Brexit gang and their supporters and the hard right media, into a monster of mythic proportions that they are deadly afraid of crossing.  I mean, I seem to remember a shit ton of people marching to prevent the war in Iraq, and Blair basically told them to go piss in the wind.  The Will of The People didn't matter then, but of course it was being articulated by hippies and professional activists, not The Telegraph and Sun newspapers.

They would quite literally prefer to wreck the country than possibly lose their jobs.  It's the very definition of cowardice.

LMNO

Quote from: Cain on December 06, 2018, 08:03:33 PM
They would quite literally prefer to wreck the country than possibly lose their jobs.  It's the very definition of cowardice.

If they do the former, I hope they achieve the latter.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on December 06, 2018, 08:03:33 PM
We still have to wait for the final comment from the European Courts on that (which incidentally occurs on Monday, the day before the vote), but yes.

Roger, what I keep on hearing, not just from TV but from actual people in the civil service and pub talk in Westminster (so...people in the civil service) is that this is The Will Of The People.  They've worked up the crazies, the hard Brexit gang and their supporters and the hard right media, into a monster of mythic proportions that they are deadly afraid of crossing.  I mean, I seem to remember a shit ton of people marching to prevent the war in Iraq, and Blair basically told them to go piss in the wind.  The Will of The People didn't matter then, but of course it was being articulated by hippies and professional activists, not The Telegraph and Sun newspapers.

I know those feels.
Molon Lube

Cain

Latest projections are six months of chaos at Dover with a "no deal" outcome.

Kent County also projected an outcome where bodies could not be collected, schools would be closed and rubbish left on the streets all as a result of the traffic disruption.

The Lib Dems are trying to table legislation for another referendum, but they've lost the support of People's Vote, who want to build cross-party consensus on a second referendum before putting legislation before Parliament.

Cain

The UK DOES remember the Potato Famine!

https://www.thejournal.ie/brexit-threat-food-shortages-ireland-4381228-Dec2018/

QuoteAS UK PRIME Minister Theresa May has just five days to try to rally support for her Brexit deal, a Tory MP has suggested using the possibility of food shortages in Ireland in the event of a no-deal Brexit to encourage the EU to drop the backstop.

A government report, leaked to the Times of London, has indicated that there could be food shortages in Ireland in a no-deal Brexit scenario, and the economic impact on Ireland would be worse than in the UK.

[...]

Tory MP Priti Patel has told the paper that these warnings should have been used as leverage against Ireland to encourage them to drop the backstop.

"This paper appears to show the government were well aware Ireland will face significant issues in a no-deal scenario. Why hasn't this point been pressed home during negotiations? There is still time to go back to Brussels and get a better deal."

Faust

It's either ignorance of her history and the role Britain played in the Irish famine, or a deliberate sneering comment about what was effectively a genocide.

She is correct that if the UK has food shortages we will too (banana's oranges, and imported foods) come on frieight from the UK.
But what makes her comment even funnier are two things:
1) The UK imports 50% of it's food, guess where most of that comes from.
2) https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2017-food-security/

The second is, fuck her, she is putting me in a position where I am given to my baser instinct of reveling at the thought of food shortages in the UK out of spite, which is unfair to the millions of people are aren't fucking monsters like her.

altered

I'm glad that my initial reaction was validated by an actual Irish citizen. I wasn't entirely sure if I was misremembering the potato famine being essentially genocide... guess I wasn't.

I'm upgrading from frozen peas to large ball bearings covered in barbed wire and capsaicin. Fuck these shitbag goons.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Faust

Quote from: nullified on December 08, 2018, 07:32:36 PM
I wasn't entirely sure if I was misremembering the potato famine being essentially genocide... guess I wasn't.
Its a common belief that the one million people who died was entirely due to the potato blight, during the same period farmers were forced at gunpoint to export their crops. It's hard to say how many lives could have been saved if they had been able to use the food themselves, but they are deaths that could have been avoided.
Genocide is too strong a word for it, but there is a responsibility on the UK for many of those deaths.
https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/books/was-the-famine-genocide-by-the-british-28954929.html

It's not even a thing people talk about other than die hard shinner nationalists, but its those kind of feelings Patel's tone deaf comments illicit.

altered

Oh, I don't know if it's necessarily too strong a word. Sure, the deaths weren't specifically intended by the UK, which would legally absolve them of genocide, but it's harder to say they didn't see it happening or that they did anything to help if they did notice. Morally speaking I feel like that's not too far removed from a purposeful attempt to starve the Irish out of existence.

And yeah, even if you disagree with my stance on the matter, saying that shit the way she did causes some pretty hefty fury in the hearts of anyone who knows a damn thing about it and has a caring bone in their body. Hyperbole happens in such moments.

Cain

Faust

Withdrawing the vote was an interesting move, the current options are no deal or no brexit, the longer she holds out without letting them vote, it will kill the few who are still saying "negotiate something better". The clock ticks down but it does increase the chances of her deal going through. If I was her I would say, we can have a vote on it the week before A50 comes into effect and start triggering a no deal prep measure each week until enough ministers are convinced.
Apologies for my pavlovs dog reaction earlier, when comments like patels come out it has me drunkenly singing rebel songs from the roof until the guards come.