News:

Testamonial:  "My god, you people are depressing."

Main Menu

UK General Election 8th June: Shake it all about?

Started by Vanadium Gryllz, February 23, 2016, 02:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Unless the EU extends it again, this is the final deadline. And I don't think they will, the EU was willing to give May time to try and convince Parliament of her deal. The current government says it wants to go back to the negotiating table, especially over the backstop, and the EU isn't interested in that.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on July 29, 2019, 09:45:40 PM
Unless the EU extends it again, this is the final deadline. And I don't think they will, the EU was willing to give May time to try and convince Parliament of her deal. The current government says it wants to go back to the negotiating table, especially over the backstop, and the EU isn't interested in that.

This is one of those "And Mexico is going to pay for it moments."  And Johnson seems to believe Trump about "upcoming trade deals," which implies that he is either really cynical, really stupid, or both.

After all the smack Johnson has talked, the EU can't renegotiate.  If I were the EU guy, I'd just be telling my people to prepare to lose Britain.

Molon Lube

Faust

Ireland had to call on the US to make upholding the Good Friday prerequiste to a US trade deal. Both Pelosi and McConnell have said that this is the case.
Then again, there's money involved. And the UK in a no deal state is like a lamb among the wolves, the US could get trade deal entirely on its terms.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Faust on July 29, 2019, 10:10:06 PM
Ireland had to call on the US to make upholding the Good Friday prerequiste to a US trade deal. Both Pelosi and McConnell have said that this is the case.
Then again, there's money involved. And the UK in a no deal state is like a lamb among the wolves, the US could get trade deal entirely on its terms.

Well, yes.  Johnson is a particularly dense man.  He is sly enough to gain power, but not smart enough to manage it.

What is the Good Friday Prerequisite?  I haven't heard that term before, or if I did, I have forgotten it.
Molon Lube

Cain

Basically if the Good Friday Agreement is violated by the UK - by imposing a hard border between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland, as would happen if there is no backstop - then there's no trade deal from Congress.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on July 29, 2019, 10:43:18 PM
Basically if the Good Friday Agreement is violated by the UK - by imposing a hard border between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland, as would happen if there is no backstop - then there's no trade deal from Congress.

Can Northern Ireland just fuck off with the rest of Ireland?
Molon Lube

Faust

Well this is the thing, the UK is acting like a dad in a midlife crises trying to stop taking shared custody with his spiteful ex of their mentally deranged child.
The backstop, in effect, keeps NI in the status quo. It's not even Ireland demanding unification. Unification or a border will immediately lead to one of the two insane groups (UVF-Team Loyalist, IRA - Team Republican) starting shit again.
In keeping that status quo though the UK loses its ability to break NI out of that status quo and that is a reasonable complaint. But then how do you square this circle:
The wording of the Good Friday agreement is the People of Northern Ireland have a right to "Live as British, Irish, Or both". That "or both" is going to create all kinds of complications as people from NI will regardless of any outcome have more rights then other UK citizens  (the right to freely travel or work in any of the 27 EU nations)

Cain

That'd be a swell way to make the Provisional IRA a relevant force again.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on July 30, 2019, 07:26:06 AM

I was gonna say, the Provos probably just went berserk.
Molon Lube

Faust

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 30, 2019, 03:39:39 PM

No they are on their best behavior, the UK screwing the pooch, I mean REALLY going to town on it, is accelerating sentiment for a united Ireland.
As of a year ago it was 21% in favour, as it has been for most of the last 30 years ago.
In the event of No deal, its currently 60-40 in favour of a United Ireland, with the biggest switch being Economic Unionists who maintained they were better with the UK for free healthcare etc.

I'm hoping that it wont be the IRA who kick off, they can sit back and let the UK gov do the work for them. There will be a statue of Arlene Forrester and Boris in an Irish History museum one day as the people most instrumental to a United Ireland.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Faust on July 30, 2019, 03:44:47 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 30, 2019, 03:39:39 PM

No they are on their best behavior, the UK screwing the pooch, I mean REALLY going to town on it, is accelerating sentiment for a united Ireland.
As of a year ago it was 21% in favour, as it has been for most of the last 30 years ago.
In the event of No deal, its currently 60-40 in favour of a United Ireland, with the biggest switch being Economic Unionists who maintained they were better with the UK for free healthcare etc.

I'm hoping that it wont be the IRA who kick off, they can sit back and let the UK gov do the work for them. There will be a statue of Arlene Forrester and Boris in an Irish History museum one day as the people most instrumental to a United Ireland.

Boris is now saying any Brexit deal must get rid of the Ireland backstop.

https://www.apnews.com/bf93a8560e3f41e28b6f5ef74a92a174
Molon Lube

Faust

Yep and Ireland will keep the UK in the no deal state until the backstop is in place. So pointless trade blockade in 2019 well done 21st century

Cain

Well Boris is the one who sent us down this dismal path in the first place, making up all those anti-EU stories in the late 80s, when most of the Tories were vaguely pro-EU still. And then leading the charge during the referendum. It's only fitting he deal with the mess he caused.

altered

When do you legally get to drag him through the streets with horses then put his head on a stick at the Tower of London? I mean, that's a law, right?
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.