News:

Testimonial: "None of you seem aware of quite how bad you are. I mean I'm pretty outspoken on how bad the internet has gotten, but this is up there with the worst."

Main Menu

UK General Election 8th June: Shake it all about?

Started by Vanadium Gryllz, February 23, 2016, 02:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

https://www.apnews.com/2b2718469c864f43bf5ffe3cf4485f2f

The UK is now not attending EU functions or meetings that do not directly center on UK security.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Also, this:

"9:30 a.m.

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has demanded that the European Union reopen Brexit negotiations, scrapping "anti-democratic" provisions for the Irish border that he says would threaten the peace process in Northern Ireland.

Johnson, who has made similar statements in the past, formally delivered his demands to the EU late Monday in a letter to Donald Tusk, president of the European Council.

Johnson is calling for an end to the so-called backstop, which would keep Britain closely aligned with the European customs union if the two sides can't agree on other ways to prevent the reintroduction of border checks on people and goods moving between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.

Irish Prime Minister Leo Varadkar, after a one-hour call with Johnson on Monday, said the Brexit deal wouldn't be renegotiated."

https://apnews.com/cc4cfbfdbe51433bb0c8c38ac1cdf03a

So much for Ireland.
Molon Lube

altered

How many UK and Irish spags can we fit in one really big suitcase?
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Cain

Meanwhile, the government is refusing to release the updated No Deal preparations, in the wake of the Yellowhammer documents being leaked.

The Tories have refused on the grounds that people would "misunderstand".

So, the People knew what they were voting for, but would misunderstand its implementation, that's the official government line.

Corbyn is calling for the release of the current No Deal projections and planning.

Faust

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 20, 2019, 05:36:55 PM

So much for Ireland.

It is the first written mention of the UK needing a border, and completely invalidates the "just trust us, we wont put up a border" argument.

Ravings and zealotry follow:
Ireland's no deal preparation is being kept a bit quieter and there are a couple of reasons for that, it has some advantages through continuing membership of the EU here:
The first is that over the last 3 years Ireland hasn't sat on its hands. In 2016 (before the brexit vote) the UK accounted for a whopping 45% of all Irish exports.
As of the Q2 reports this year it is down to 9 percent, the majority of which is food, which would be insane for the UK to disrupt.
The second is that Ireland has been moving all goods transport from using trucks via Dublin port -> drive across UK > dover to direct chartered ships.
This is where things get ugly and why it is being downplayed. November 1st the UK is going to be competing with Ireland to charter cargo ships, European Cargo ships which Ireland is already putting in the contracts on. These can use every European port, not just the WTO enabled customs ports that will be log jammed by UK trucks.
Yes, the shitty implication in that is we will be competing for ships that would otherwise mitigate food shortages in the UK.

There is no way to mitigate no deal completely, but Ireland is in a good place, that said, we are looking at another multiyear recession. Rebuilding will be possible through the EU, the UK, through gravity of trade wont recover until it has made a deal with the EU. Which will take as long as it takes to uphold that commitment to NI.

The hope is that if no deal is as bad as expected the UK will reconsider the backstop as the cheaper, less awful option and if it is completely unpalatable because of the shared sovereignty of the region, a full border poll (Then the DUP and the UVF become Irelands problem, but thats a story for another day).

This probably seems extreme, but we will bring the world financial markets to the brink of collapse (NI can be everyone's problem) and allow No deal to happen as there is no better demonstration of how important an issue the commitment to the people of NI is. But you have to look at the request, is it extreme to ask to keep the status quo, to use the backstop to continue to enjoy the peace brought about by the good Friday agreement. In November, please still have what is there today
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Faust on August 20, 2019, 08:56:41 PM

As of the Q2 reports this year it is down to 9 percent, the majority of which is food, which would be insane for the UK to disrupt.

I don't mean to be a smartass here, but what on Earth makes you think that will stop them?
Molon Lube

altered

I don't think it's smartassery to point out that they seem committed to destroying their public support, economy, and international standing for the sake of doing it alone. Just because it would be ridiculous for them to do it says nothing about whether or not they will, which is honestly a terrifying place to be in.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Faust

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 21, 2019, 01:08:51 AM

I don't mean to be a smartass here, but what on Earth makes you think that will stop them?
Unless there are plans of embargo on Irish goods, which to date there hasn't been (there was that UKIP "don't buy Irish butter" phase but it didn't happen, sales stayed the same).
A couple of reasons:
Ireland provides 60 percent of Europe's pharmaceuticals, including to the UK, Pfizer, GSK etc are all here.
Secondly the UK will need to mitigate food shortages and Ireland is the country that delivers to the western ports, Welsh ports not as hot as Dover and Calais logjam.
Thirdly most goods from NI have to go through Irish ports and have always done, Belfast is too small to handle the volume, unless the UK does implement the sea border, those ships will be unimpeded

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Faust on August 21, 2019, 01:38:14 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 21, 2019, 01:08:51 AM

Unless there are plans of embargo on Irish goods, which to date there hasn't been (there was that UKIP "don't buy Irish butter" phase but it didn't happen, sales stayed the same).
A couple of reasons:
Ireland provides 60 percent of Europe's pharmaceuticals, including to the UK, Pfizer, GSK etc are all here.
Secondly the UK will need to mitigate food shortages and Ireland is the country that delivers to the western ports, Welsh ports not as hot as Dover and Calais logjam.
Thirdly most goods from NI have to go through Irish ports and have always done, Belfast is too small to handle the volume, unless the UK does implement the sea border, those ships will be unimpeded

Again, I am unsure the Brexiters care.  "Starvin' muh family to own the libs!"
Molon Lube

Magpie

The latest plan is for Ireland to leave  the eu common market like a good little province.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Magpie on August 21, 2019, 03:17:39 PM
The latest plan is for Ireland to leave  the eu common market like a good little province.

So slam the remaining conduit for food and medicine shut.

WELL DONE, THAT MAN.   :lulz:
Molon Lube

Faust

It was more than that, it was basically saying would Ireland instead join the Union.
Our governments response was that it was "Worrying".
This is officially now a deadbeat husband who beat his wife for the last 800 years, who still wants joint custody of the kids with none of the responsibility.

The fucking neck of that blond moron to suggest Ireland cede it's sovereignty for its disastrous pet project which was supposedly about it regaining its sovereignty.
I guess you are not much of a soverign if you dont have a little nation to bully around.
I think I am all brexited out for the day. I think I will stop reading about this until october 31st, same as his request for further negotiations, bounce an out of office at him

Magpie

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 21, 2019, 03:18:51 PM
Quote from: Magpie on August 21, 2019, 03:17:39 PM

So slam the remaining conduit for food and medicine shut.

WELL DONE, THAT MAN.   :lulz:

He knows his audience.

Faust's comment about bullying a smaller  nation is applies to a lot of the brexit posturing. The idea that Ireland are focussed on the backstop out of petty intransigence to spoil their glory because we're a former colony. That might have been true in the past, but Ireland  grew up, the current UK government represents the section of British society that didn't, that still dreams of empire.

Technically  Sinn Fein could still take up their seats in Westminster, which would break the Tories and DUPs working majority. It won't happen, it just shows how small the gov majority is.

Cain

The UK press has deluded itself into thinking Merkel said something she didn't, possibly as a result of not speaking German, being illiterate when it comes to English translations of German, lead poisoning or whatever.

The press now believes Boris Johnson has been granted a 30-day reprieve to come up with a technical solution to the back-stop.

Here's the thing: the back-stop was always a fallback in case a better, viable solution was not presented. We do not have a better, viable solution and according to the Home Office we will not have the technology for one for another decade at least.

But the press decided to run with the willful misinterpretation of a known liar...

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube