UK General Election 8th June: Shake it all about?

Started by Vanadium Gryllz, February 23, 2016, 02:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on August 28, 2019, 03:23:01 PM
Or a VONC before Parliament closes down. But it needs to happen, right now, and I dont think that Tory rebels and Lib Dems will side with Labour in sufficient numbers.

The lib dems somehow went from "the only people making sense" to "Jill Stein" while I was napping.
Molon Lube

Cain

Well, there has been a change in leadership recently.

But more broadly, the Lib Dems are infamous for this kind of thing. There is a level of ambiguity in Corbyn's Brexit stance, so they seized upon that to hammer him as much as possible, with the hope of breaking off Labour remainers and the remain voting public in making them the opposition, if not in government itself.

But to that end they see Labour as a bigger obstacle and threat than Brexit.

It all makes sense once you assume obtaining power is their primary concern and Brexit is a secondary one.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on August 28, 2019, 04:04:51 PM
Well, there has been a change in leadership recently.

But more broadly, the Lib Dems are infamous for this kind of thing. There is a level of ambiguity in Corbyn's Brexit stance, so they seized upon that to hammer him as much as possible, with the hope of breaking off Labour remainers and the remain voting public in making them the opposition, if not in government itself.

But to that end they see Labour as a bigger obstacle and threat than Brexit.

It all makes sense once you assume obtaining power is their primary concern and Brexit is a secondary one.

So British Bernie Sanders.
Molon Lube

Cain

Yup, more or less. Except of course the Lib Dems are also more rightwing than Labour (more like, say centrist Democrats with closer to progressive rhetoric).

Cain

Just emailed my MP to support an immediate (ie; next week, as soon as the Parliamentary summer recess is over but before the suspension kicks in) vote of no confidence in the PM.

I doubt it will matter much, my MP is Dianne Abbott and she is a Labour loyalist, so she likely supported this approach anyway. But a bit of additional support may not hurt.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on August 28, 2019, 06:55:17 PM
Just emailed my MP to support an immediate (ie; next week, as soon as the Parliamentary summer recess is over but before the suspension kicks in) vote of no confidence in the PM.

I doubt it will matter much, my MP is Dianne Abbott and she is a Labour loyalist, so she likely supported this approach anyway. But a bit of additional support may not hurt.

Can Boris ignore a VONC?
Molon Lube

altered

I'm not suggesting anything, I'm just saying that you guys do have a history of fine, quality makeshift firearms and explosives between the whole Ireland thing and the Luty 9mm.

I have faith in you.

But also get the absolute fuck out of there please.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Cain

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 28, 2019, 07:29:07 PM

Can Boris ignore a VONC?

Strictly speaking, yes. It would however be such a breach of government practice that Parliament would be able to dissolve itself to call for a General Election in response, under the Fixed Terms Act. The PM also quite likely might end up being arrested by the Serjeant-at-Arms, as the Speaker can issue a warrant for them.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on August 28, 2019, 08:17:10 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 28, 2019, 07:29:07 PM

Can Boris ignore a VONC?

Strictly speaking, yes. It would however be such a breach of government practice that Parliament would be able to dissolve itself to call for a General Election in response, under the Fixed Terms Act. The PM also quite likely might end up being arrested by the Serjeant-at-Arms, as the Speaker can issue a warrant for them.

That would be the awesomest thing ever.
Molon Lube

Cain

Especially since the Serjeant is a Muslim, and we all know what Boris thinks of those people:

QuoteHe said he felt "fully entitled" to expect women to remove face coverings when talking to him at his MP surgery - and schools and universities should be able to take the same approach if a student "turns up... looking like a bank robber".

"If you tell me that the burka is oppressive, then I am with you," he said.

"If you say that it is weird and bullying to expect women to cover their faces, then I totally agree - and I would add that I can find no scriptural authority for the practice in the Koran.

"I would go further and say that it is absolutely ridiculous that people should choose to go around looking like letter boxes."

He said businesses and government agencies should be able to "enforce a dress code" that allowed them to see customers' faces.

altered

I'm hoping this happens. Let's have Boris go down in such a flaming heap of rubble that everyone recognizes the import, shall we?
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Cain

Apparently over 50% of Tory party members and leave voters disagree with suspending Parliament.

But that may just be because the rightwing rags haven't had a chance to tell them all how awesome this is yet.

Junkenstein

Headlines on the express and mail helping that out tomorrow.

By Friday it'll be what everyone wanted all along.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Cain

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube