News:

Where Everybody Knows You're Lame. 

Main Menu

UK General Election 8th June: Shake it all about?

Started by Vanadium Gryllz, February 23, 2016, 02:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magpie

The push for no deal looks more and more like they're aiming to be able to declare a state of emergency after brexit..

Cain

They might do it in the next couple of weeks.

Under the Civil Contingencies Act, they can push through any legislation they like, but it's subject to Parliamentary scrutiny after 30 days. If Parliament can't meet, however, they can't reject the legislation...

This would run counter to their "it's all fine, you definitely won't run out of food and there will be nothing wrong" propaganda though, so I don't know.

Cain

So, Boris wants an election (maybe).

It should be noted that an election has the same functional outcome as suspending Parliament, in that all MPs resign for 5 weeks. There is furthermore a fear that Boris would agree with an election but set the date for after Brexit.

Magpie

Deselecting MPs who vote in favour of  an extension isn't as much of a threat if there's no election coming up. An election  after brexit might give a different party or coalition the majority, so all the problems will be their fault.

Cain

I think Boris is hoping he can make it into a No Deal Brexit/Remain dichotomy for the election. If he doesn't have to fear Farage splitting the vote, he could return with No Deal supporting Tories and not have to worry about Parliament at all.

Which is worrying in and of itself, given the contempt the No Deal crowd have for Parliamentary powers and functions. It would be giving Boris a blank cheque until 2024

Faust

The bigger question isn't No deal vs remain it is if no deal, what then?
Ireland will still maintain that the UK must keep to the commitment  of the GFA and that all NI citizens can live as "Irish British Or both", If I am a farmer in NI, I am entitled to the same rights to the European markets as farmers from the south. If there are tariffs and regulatory hurdles created that breaks it. No one is talking about sanctions for breaching a peace treaty, but they will after.
Pence is here today and has reiterated that for the UK to get a US trade deal it will need to uphold the GFA.
The assumption Boris seems to have is that a bunch of micro deals with the EU can be made after no deal to restore the flow of trade.
These include Europol, the ISEM (energy), Euratom, medical research and data sharing at university level and of course customs and the flow of goods. The UK after no deal is a new applicant to these, not a continuing member.

There is nasty security clause on all of these (demonstrate by Greece/Turkey), which is the veto on new membership, you guessed it, the plan is for Ireland to make the backstop prerequisite for application to these or automatically veto the application. So never mind his idea of micro-deals, there wont be any easing, instead lets look at the emergency easing measures which are all short term:
Open skies (the thing that stops flights being grounded) - 6 months
Hauliers prioritisation - 9 months
Access to financial markets - 1 Year

One by one each of the above will elapse and Ireland wont be allowing extensions. The first two create chaos, the third collapses the world economy, If NI, our beautiful deranged moon calf is ignored by one of its parents, then its time to make that problem everyone's problem.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Cain

Quoteif no deal, what then?

Well, much like Brexit itself, no-one has actually thought of this.  As I'm sure you've noticed, this country is so mired in sloganeering and pointless soundbites it doesn't recognize that "no deal" isn't the end point, but the start of a much more dangerous phase.

People really seem to think we will tell the EU to go fuck themselves and trade on WTO rules with them for forever. Or somehow they will see our stiff upper lip and resolve (read: reckless insanity) and offer a better deal.

The Johnny

With all the shit i've read about the CIA, if you were to tell me that Rachel Meghan Markle is an operative for that institution and is part of a grand operation which includes Brexit, with the intention of the US doing an annexation of England...
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Cain

Well the really funny thing is that the US establishment would really prefer that the UK stay in the EU. Given the strength of the UK-USA alliance, it meant that there was a "sensible" hand in the decision-making process, especially given the UK's influence in the EU as a whole. It meant if Germany got any ideas about, say, converting the EU into becoming a hegemonic power on the continent outside of the NATO framework and capable of potentially deterring US actions in the region, the UK would not only be able to keep them informed, but potentially derail any such moves.

Instead, you have a US president who openly calls for a No Deal Brexit and tries his hardest to spur on the independent development of Germany and the EU's combined armed forces through constant heckling over military spending.

This is why Obama made the statements he did in 2016...for all that it looked like US meddling in UK affairs.

Cain

Government majority gone. Tory MP Phillip Lee just physically removed himself to sit with the Lib Dems during Boris' statement on the G7 meetings, and put out a statement saying he was defecting.

Faust

The Parliament proceedings have devolved to WWE theatrics.

*lights go dark, Ominous music starts playing, sparklers and smoke machines from the edges of the floor*

Oh my God, Sinn Fein have taken up their seats!

Cain

At least with WWE I can see a chair broken over someone's back.

They don't allow that in the Commons, on account of Rees-Mogg being targeted by absolutely everyone.

Faust

Cain

Did you hear his interview where he tried to tell a doctor - who had worked as a consultant for the civil service on Operation Yellowhammer - that he was a remoaner who didn't know what he was talking about?

The man's such an insufferable prick, I don't know how his own wife doesn't strangle him in his sleep.

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube