News:

Yes we're horrible toxic people, because this is 2020's Mental Illness Olympics, and the winners get a free pass on giving life-threatening advice with the bonus of having zero accountability for their shit behaviour.

Main Menu

UK General Election 8th June: Shake it all about?

Started by Vanadium Gryllz, February 23, 2016, 02:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Hm, I didn't know about that clause but it's good to see the EU has options to rescue us from our own stupidity.

And yes. A previous Brexit vote was also 48-52. You'd think if the democratic credentials of Brexit are that obvious, why do we keep having to have so many votes on it?

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on September 04, 2019, 02:31:45 PM
Hm, I didn't know about that clause but it's good to see the EU has options to rescue us from our own stupidity.

And yes. A previous Brexit vote was also 48-52. You'd think if the democratic credentials of Brexit are that obvious, why do we keep having to have so many votes on it?

Because it's only democracy if the nationalists win, silly.
Molon Lube

Juana

"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Cain

Jo Johnson, Boris' own brother, has quit the Cabinet.

He's actually not entirely terrible either, for a posh Tory. As an editor at the Financial Times he actually knew his stuff, and he's considered quite "left-leaning" and "pro-European", which is Tory code for "accepts reality and doesn't think we should go back to 1850".

Magpie

Is he an independent now or will there be a by-election to add to the mess?

Cain

Huh, I thought he had just stepped down as a Cabinet minister, not as Tory MP, but I see he is doing both.

Looks like he will stand as an independent until the next election, whenever that is. Usually I would prefer a by-election, I remember how the "Change UK" MPs refused their own constituents one, but given the current situation it seems a bit more understandable.

Cain

Parliament gets shut down this evening.

It's still not clear whether the Brexit law passed by Parliament will get Royal Assent, or when. Given Downing Street has said, again, today, that it will not seek an extension (which the law requires the PM to do), I have a horrible feeling that he will refuse to sign the law while Parliament is in recess. After all, if Parliament's not sitting, what can it actually do?

Cain

Also Bercow is resigning. The man was, by all accounts, a complete jerk, but he made the government accountable to Parliament.

I doubt his replacement will be similarly inclined.

Juana

"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Faust

The current tensions  mean it will either be someone willing to break the law and rules of parliament to further brexit or impede it. The speaker is supposed to be impartial, something that has all but been erased
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Junkenstein

Quote from: Juana on September 09, 2019, 05:56:58 PM
Any suspicions why, Cain?

It's been openly planned for 2+ years, the opportunity for the timing was just a nice little "fuck you". This guy was a Tory member prior to speaker which makes the reaction from that side even more amusing.

Convention dictates that the next one should be from labour but  I wouldn't be surprised if that's broken.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Doktor Howl

So, royal assent has been given on the anti-no deal law.

Boris has to be shitting square bricks by now.
Molon Lube

The Johnny

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 10, 2019, 12:56:37 AM

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/queen-approves-law-blocking-no-16889400

I found that story buried beneath a bunch of paparazzi shit trash, is this like not important news or why did i have such a hard time finding it?
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Cain

Quote from: Juana on September 09, 2019, 05:56:58 PM
Any suspicions why, Cain?

Pretty much what Faust and Junk have said.

Also, the best actual candidates for the position are either Tory rebels who were expelled by Boris, or Labour MPs (Harriet Harman for example, who would be among my leading choices), who will have a hard time winning Tory support.

Cain

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 10, 2019, 12:56:37 AM

Boris' options

1) find a loophole in 5 weeks
2) dying in a ditch