News:

PD.com: promoting the nomadic, war-like and democratic lupine culture since 2002

Main Menu

UK General Election 8th June: Shake it all about?

Started by Vanadium Gryllz, February 23, 2016, 02:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on September 10, 2019, 05:24:24 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 10, 2019, 12:56:37 AM
So, royal assent has been given on the anti-no deal law.

Boris has to be shitting square bricks by now.

Boris' options

1) find a loophole in 5 weeks
2) dying in a ditch

You guys do have plenty of ditches.
Molon Lube

Cain

Yup, it looks like this will have to go to the Supreme Court, especially as I suspect the Northern Irish courts will rule in the same way as the Scottish ones (the English and Welsh courts have an undue level of preference they give to the government in constitutional matters for historical reasons which do not affect either of the other two legal systems).

However, no matter what the Supreme Court ultimately rules, it is the case we now have a Prime Minister who not only lost all of his first six votes, but has also been found guilty of misleading the Queen by the courts.

Magpie

Has prorogation of parliament ever been ruled unlawful before? If the Supreme Court agrees, will there be any consequence for the government aside from parliament being recalled?

Cain

Not that I can see, on either point.  Though infamously the "personal rule" of Charles I, preceded by prorogation of Parliament, did lead to the Civil War.

From my quick reading, while several have been highly questionable in timing and with clear politicial advantage in mind, the only ones with similar scope, in terms of constitutional importance and matters of state, would be the aforementioned by Charles I and Charles II during the Exclusion crisis.

Good thing we don't have any future monarchs named Charles, huh?

Magpie

Quote from: Cain on September 11, 2019, 01:13:38 PM
Good thing we don't have any future monarchs named Charles, huh?

He still has to outlast Elizabeth.

Cain

I think it's pretty clear by now that this is the worst timeline. So of course he will.

(Charles is, of course, a walking constitutional crisis all on his own, so that will go well with the seven or so other ones we have brewing)

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Cain

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on September 11, 2019, 04:26:47 PM
Another Etonian who has failed upwards.

Looking back at his articles last decade, he seems to have a gift for being DUMB & WRONG on EVERY SINGLE SUBJECT.

2007:  "Why it is more important now than ever to remain in Iraq."   :lulz:
Molon Lube

Cain

He's one of these people who cycles between big-name charities and big name think tanks and is never, ever accountable for getting things completely fucking wrong constantly.

It's notable that the International Crisis Group got a reputation for being an early-warning system on foreign crises after he left them.

Magpie

Quote from: Cain on September 11, 2019, 03:48:00 PM
I think it's pretty clear by now that this is the worst timeline. So of course he will.

(Charles is, of course, a walking constitutional crisis all on his own, so that will go well with the seven or so other ones we have brewing)

See, this is what happens when you don't write things down. Just don't let a religion co-write it either or else you get things like blasphemy being criminalised that need referendums to fix. Maybe ban calling princes Charles as well.

Is there any framework for something to be declared unconstitutional (like say, a monarch with ideas beyond his station), or is it up to the courts to make a determination as and when issues arise?

Cain

I think it would have to be down to Parliament, the courts would consider it a political matter, as the English ones did with Parliament's suspension.

Fortunately, Parliament has a LOT of power when it comes to coercing the monarchy. Effectively if Parliament passed a law calling for the Queen's execution, she would have to sign it.

Cain

I am somewhat surprised Boris Johnson turned down an electoral pact with the Brexit Party.

I suppose someone, somewhere, decided that Brexit didn't have enough drama yet and needed more.

Faust

Quote from: Cain on September 11, 2019, 10:50:13 PM
I am somewhat surprised Boris Johnson turned down an electoral pact with the Brexit Party.

I suppose someone, somewhere, decided that Brexit didn't have enough drama yet and needed more.

I'm not sure what to make of that, if he is going for no deal, turning them down is because he thinks no deal will somehow rally people to them for having delivered brexit.
Or he is going to trot out mays deal again, and pray people choose that over no deal
Sleepless nights at the chateau