News:

Urgh, this is what I hate about PD.com, it is the only site in existence where a perfectly good spam thread can be misused for high quality discussions.  I hate you all.

Main Menu

Open Bar: We hacked the DNC and all we got are these lousy emails

Started by Eater of Clowns, August 11, 2016, 12:11:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freeky

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on November 11, 2016, 07:19:05 PM
Turns out, if you just play nice and pick your battles, they take it as validation that they're doing just fine. They even "have black friends" who "don't complain", and women friends who "laugh at their jokes".

Almost 100% of the time, the people telling women and people of color that we need to play nice and pick our battles are white men.

Go figure.

I was thinking about that today, because I do laugh at the jokes.  A few seconds after I laugh, I get angry.  It's probably a self-preservation instinct, that delayed reaction.  And yeah.  I'm sick to death of having to play nice all the damn time, and dog tired from wrestling constantly with the idea that this might not be a battle I shuold fight.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Thing is, if you play nice and pick your battles, you won't end up getting through to the small but existent percentage of people who really WANT to do better and are willing to listen.

There is a percentage of people out there who DO grasp that racism is simply bad signal that is almost impossible to escape in our society, and are willing to do the work to root out bad signal from their dataset, even when it means having to actually listen to women and people of color instead of telling  them what.

On top of that, and far more importantly, consistently calling out racism, sexism, paternalism, and other behaviors that arise from bad signal is important because it demonstrates to others, particularly young people, what those behaviors look like, and why they are objectionable.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

xXRon_Paul_42016Xxx(weed)

How many pages of arguing over some guy making a badwrong joke? This is awesome. None of you are learning anything, 2018 and 2020 are all ours.

Sorry not over someone making a badwrong joke, someone making a badwrong joke and the person there laughing instead of lecturing their coworker like an overgrown hall monitor. KEEP IT UP FAMS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Freeky on November 11, 2016, 07:21:03 PM
Quote from: Freeky on November 11, 2016, 06:53:07 PM
There's a really good quote in Terry Pratchett's Jingo about just that, let me see if I can dig it up.

How the Moderate Person on fb thinks:

"It was much better to imagine men in some smokey room somewhere, made mad and cynical by privilege and power, plotting over brandy. You had to cling to this sort of image, because if you didn't then you might have to face the fact that bad things happened because ordinary people, the kind who brushed the dog and told the children bed time stories, were capable of then going out and doing horrible things to other ordinary people. It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was Us, then what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

Fuckin' love me some Terry Pratchett.

In any case, it's hard to convince people who refuse to see that sometimes they act racist because they don't think they're racist, and get all offended and then #AllLivesMatter and "not all men."  Discouraging.

That's exactly it. Spot on with the quote.

And it does get exhausting. I can see why sometimes people just give up and go with the flow. Sometimes you just need to rest and float downstream for a while. But since we can't escape and ignoring it forever is impossible, eventually you don't have much of a choice but to pick up and fight again after a while.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on November 11, 2016, 07:27:42 PM
Quote from: Freeky on November 11, 2016, 07:21:03 PM
Quote from: Freeky on November 11, 2016, 06:53:07 PM
There's a really good quote in Terry Pratchett's Jingo about just that, let me see if I can dig it up.

How the Moderate Person on fb thinks:

"It was much better to imagine men in some smokey room somewhere, made mad and cynical by privilege and power, plotting over brandy. You had to cling to this sort of image, because if you didn't then you might have to face the fact that bad things happened because ordinary people, the kind who brushed the dog and told the children bed time stories, were capable of then going out and doing horrible things to other ordinary people. It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was Us, then what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

Fuckin' love me some Terry Pratchett.

In any case, it's hard to convince people who refuse to see that sometimes they act racist because they don't think they're racist, and get all offended and then #AllLivesMatter and "not all men."  Discouraging.

That's exactly it. Spot on with the quote.

And it does get exhausting. I can see why sometimes people just give up and go with the flow. Sometimes you just need to rest and float downstream for a while. But since we can't escape and ignoring it forever is impossible, eventually you don't have much of a choice but to pick up and fight again after a while.

Its important to note the past few years of "fighting" gave you Donald Trump.

Freeky

Quote from: xXRon_Paul_42016Xxx(weed) on November 11, 2016, 07:25:39 PM
How many pages of arguing over some guy making a badwrong joke? This is awesome. None of you are learning anything, 2018 and 2020 are all ours.

Sorry not over someone making a badwrong joke, someone making a badwrong joke and the person there laughing instead of lecturing their coworker like an overgrown hall monitor. KEEP IT UP FAMS

The converstaion has rather moved on to what we in the trade call "generally speaking," rather than it being about that exact moment in time.  And as far as I can tell, it's mostly venting, what the Open Bar is for.  Do try and keep up, won't you?

Quote from: Freeky on November 11, 2016, 07:31:31 PM

The converstaion has rather moved on to what we in the trade call "generally speaking," rather than it being about that exact moment in time.  And as far as I can tell, it's mostly venting, what the Open Bar is for.  Do try and keep up, won't you?

Oh sorry, youre talking about the general situations in which you are required by your religion to be a completely unlikable wet blanket and alienate everyone in the room. Not the specific situation where this person should have been a completely unlikable wet blanket and alienated everyone in the room. Yes please continue. And remember that 2018 is just around the corner. Humorless School Marming has been polling well lately hasnt it?

MMIX

And to add a further nail in the coffin of 2016 we have finally seen the last of the Magnificent Seven ride off into the sunset. RIP Napoleon Solo.
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The casual disregard of issues of women's rights and safety is also the most common form of sexism. "It's just a joke", "What do you mean all women have been sexually harassed?", "It's not the majority of men who do things like that" and so on.

MithridatesXXIII

Quote from: xXRon_Paul_42016Xxx(weed) on November 11, 2016, 07:39:05 PM
Quote from: Freeky on November 11, 2016, 07:31:31 PM

Oh sorry, youre talking about the general situations in which you are required by your religion to be a completely unlikable wet blanket and alienate everyone in the room. Not the specific situation where this person should have been a completely unlikable wet blanket and alienated everyone in the room. Yes please continue. And remember that 2018 is just around the corner. Humorless School Marming has been polling well lately hasnt it?

Why have you reduced it to party pooping?

You know the average person doesn't have the ability to profoundly impact everyone, but you can profoundly impact someone. Doing that while not provoking your kind of response is something everyone has to figure out how to do.

Quote from: MithridatesXXIII on November 11, 2016, 08:18:49 PM
Why have you reduced it to party pooping?

You know the average person doesn't have the ability to profoundly impact everyone, but you can profoundly impact someone. Doing that while not provoking your kind of response is something everyone has to figure out how to do.

Because thats all its been for the past few years. The "profound impact" all this has had is Trump in office and complete Republican domination of the US Government.

MithridatesXXIII

Its really sad that Nigel blocked me THEN went full tumblrista. I wish I could troll her but, I have a feeling the next 8 years are going to do that for me.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: xXRon_Paul_42016Xxx(weed) on November 12, 2016, 12:54:49 AM
Its really sad that Nigel blocked me THEN went full tumblrista. I wish I could troll her but, I have a feeling the next 8 years are going to do that for me.

There's a special kind of cunt that feels a need to troll someone like Nigel.  Suu's usless ex-BF, RWHN, Dr Cowass, Pope Ludicrous, and, well, you.

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 12, 2016, 01:01:55 AM
Quote from: xXRon_Paul_42016Xxx(weed) on November 12, 2016, 12:54:49 AM

There's a special kind of cunt that feels a need to troll someone like Nigel.  Suu's usless ex-BF, RWHN, Dr Cowass, Pope Ludicrous, and, well, you.

Im trolling all of you. Nigels just looking like an extra appealing target now because shes drinking the denial kool-aid the hardest. Keep in mind here "trolling" is reminding you all of reality.